Kotor3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion Part 26

Please notice that the purpose of this thread has changed.

This thread is now for the discussion of a future single-player KotOR game.

All discussion of the Bioware-LucasArts MMO should go here instead.

Thanks for your co-operation. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

While I think a single-player KotOR3 isn't very likely in the near future, since the MMO is going to be LucasArts' main focus, I still hope for a resolution to Revan and the Exile's stories. We know plans for the game were under development by a LucasArts in-house team, so those presumably still exist. A lot depends on whether the KotOR MMO manages to avoid the resolution of Kotor1 and Kotor2's storylines.

I'd love to see cameos of Atton, Mira, Bao-Dur and everyone in KotOR3, as we saw Carth and Bastila in Kotor2.

I agree. Those two characters would be heavily overpowered, and I don't sense any appetite for 'epic levels' beyond what KotOR2 already did. Plus it's been too long since the first two games were released. What we really need is enough cameos and background to tie up all the loose ends, but at the same time no prior knowledge required by new gamers. I know that's a difficult trick to pull off. Obsidian could do it, though, and probably Bioware as well.

Well, short version is that there will be an awful lot of reference back to the first two games, if a single-player K3 is ever made. Just that it'll be KotOR3 alone means it's part of a series, so if they do it, it's best to bite the bullet and get into it. But I suspect they'd solve the problem - to the extent that it is one - in the same way they did in TSL. Simply have an early game where the events of the previous games and the roles Revan and exile played in them are referenced from several angles, since that makes it worthwhile to both new and returning players - new players learn what went before ahead of the inevitable closure to the stories of Revan, exile and the True Sith, while returning players get to see events they played through described from characters who experienced them, and that's always interesting, even - perhaps especially - if those characters' perceptions of said events are incorrect. I love it in TSL if a character says, "Revan did so and so", while I shake my head and think "no, you fool, you got it all wrong," like when you get to confirm or correct Atton about Revan's alignment and gender.

Greedings to all, I am new in the forum. I suppose that the main character in KotOR III will be someone who was related with Revan and Jedi Exile, perhaps someone who fought to the Mandolorian Wars with them.

Also, here is a theory: what if the new PC is someone too close to Revan, like Bastilla (!)

or someone too close to Exile,like Atton or Mical the Disciple??

Who I am is not important

Welcome Anubis! (I'm having a SG-1 moment here)

Would you really like to play one of the supporting cast in the sequel? They have alot of history already so it would be somewhat confined - roleplaying wise - plus they would also be overpowered just like Revan or The Exile would. They would however be able to explain what actually happened at the end in TSL! Which would be nice :)

I personally wouldn't prefer playing any of the companions of the two previous games. I would rather play either Revan's or The Exile's former apprentice (if we assume they had any).

Fortune favors the bald.

Although they might be overpowered (personally, I would like an epic level character! :) ) these characters are the 'keys' in KotOR storyline. Bastilla Shan was the one who ordered T3 to find a Jedi if Revan had problems and Exile's party would be the core of the New Jedi Order, according to Kreia's prophesies. I would like to see their story as the main characters of the story, their part in the saga, their efforts to help their heroes and friends, as characters themselves and not just like supportive NPCs...

Who I am is not important

Hello everyone - I'm a newbie here. :thumbsup:

So anyway, I was thinking of a combat system whilst reading some of these topics:

Ranged combat (rifles, grenades etc.) in Kotor III could be based on Mass Effect, so that your character could make use of the surroundings and take cover instead of having a death wish and standing about like in the previous Kotor games.

Guns should also be alot more powerful as they were too weak in Kotor II. >_< This would also encourage you to take cover if the enemies guns were to be more powerful.

For melee combat, I was thinking perhaps an updated version of the Jedi Knight games. It would be good if you can still make use of cover with melee, so if you wanted you could wait until your enemy has to reload or something along those lines.

Now, about feats and force powers. I'm sure those of you who have played Mass Effect are aware of the menus that pop up when you press the left and right bumpers, that show your class abilities and weapons.

Why not have a similar system to use force powers and feats?

Any comments would be appreciated!

(Have to post again because I can't edit my previous post.)

Of course, if Obsidian was developing Kotor III, then they'd probably need to ask Bioware for their permission to use the Mass Effect system.

I'm not trying to flame you in ANY way, but why the hell would they want to do that? :unsure:

Mass Effect was a great game, sure, but that doen't meant Obsidian can't do their own greatness. And I HATED Mass Effect on my PC. Seems to me that Mass Effect was exclusively desingned with console gamers in mind. :biggrin:

Better off doing something different for K3, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

legoK2.jpg

Check out my KOTOR fan vids on YouTube. And no, they're not of legos.

Of course, if Obsidian was developing Kotor III, then they'd probably need to ask Bioware for their permission to use the Mass Effect system.

I'm not trying to flame you in ANY way, but why the hell would they want to do that? :unsure:

Mass Effect was a great game, sure, but that doen't meant Obsidian can't do their own greatness. And I HATED Mass Effect on my PC. Seems to me that Mass Effect was exclusively desingned with console gamers in mind. :biggrin:

Better off doing something different for K3, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Yeah, ME was designed for the 360 because, well, it was developed for the 360. Anyway, if Obsidian wants to copy ME's combat system, there are much better systems to copy. ME's greatness wasn't in combat. Pick GoW, or something.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Keep the combat as the same as the previous two games. I didn't see any fault with it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Just make the animations blend more together. No standing in front of each other waiting for your next turn.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm not trying to flame you in ANY way, but why the hell would they want to do that? :ermm:

Mass Effect was a great game, sure, but that doen't meant Obsidian can't do their own greatness. And I HATED Mass Effect on my PC. Seems to me that Mass Effect was exclusively desingned with console gamers in mind. >_<

Better off doing something different for K3, if you ask me. :shrugz:

Agreed, it was bad on pc.

And yes I liked the previous engine, but I believe they could brush it up a bit adding more combat animations and make it seem more fluid.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

The same ruleset as in the previous two games would work well, but I am not sure that it will actually be implemented.

One thing that will have to change for sure is the engine. Although I wouldn't mind the same graphics, too much time has passed now for them to be competitive in the general marketplace...

Also, what about the perspective? Same as KOTOR or isometric, what would you prefer? I generally prefer isometric for my RPGs, but even more than that I like to have consistency within the same series, so over the shoulder perspective, as in the previous two KOTOR games, would work best for me.

I'm not trying to flame you in ANY way, but why the hell would they want to do that? :ermm:

Mass Effect was a great game, sure, but that doen't meant Obsidian can't do their own greatness. And I HATED Mass Effect on my PC. Seems to me that Mass Effect was exclusively desingned with console gamers in mind. >_<

Better off doing something different for K3, if you ask me. :)

I think you are quite right, Obsidian can most likely do a better job with the combat than ME. I still don't think ME's combat was bad though. Also, I have never played ME on PC so I wouldn't know. :ermm:

Yeah, ME was designed for the 360 because, well, it was developed for the 360. Anyway, if Obsidian wants to copy ME's combat system, there are much better systems to copy. ME's greatness wasn't in combat. Pick GoW, or something.

GoW did seem more fun in combat - true. :brows:

I probably just said ME because it is an RPG and because of the dials (Feats etc.) - but anyway, I still hope that the devs of Kotor III will incorporate a duck and cover system like GoW.

GoW did seem more fun in combat - true. :lol:

I probably just said ME because it is an RPG and because of the dials (Feats etc.) - but anyway, I still hope that the devs of Kotor III will incorporate a duck and cover system like GoW.

I was kidding. DaC wouldn't work for K3 because, well, most of the main characters have 'sabers, not guns, so that would be kinda impractical.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Why add a cover system when swords are the only viable weapons?

Not to mention swords are so much more awesome.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"