New Dragon Age discussion thread

Monte Carlo

Volourn, don't be a noob.

Graphics in NWN1 were dated.

The game was awesome as a platform for modding, one of the best ever, BECAUSE of the dated graphics (tilesets, etc.). The dated graphics also made the multiplayer/pw scene robust for obvious reasons. Good RPGs have traditionally lagged the pack in render tech (though that's changing).

Half Life 2 was released 2.5 years after NWN1's release. Are you telling me NWN1's graphics are only 2.5 years behind Half Life 2's?

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

The game was awesome as a platform for modding, one of the best ever, BECAUSE of the dated graphics (tilesets, etc.). The dated graphics also made the multiplayer/pw scene robust for obvious reasons. Good RPGs have traditionally lagged the pack in render tech (though that's changing).

Half Life 2 was released 2.5 years after NWN1's release. Are you telling me NWN1's graphics are only 2.5 years behind Half Life 2's?

Apples and Oranges. First, back in 2002, RPGs were still considered "inferior" graphics wise anyway, so there was just no expectation that an RPG would/should comptete with a modern FPS graphics wise. RPG fans back then had other worries than graphics (as opposed to the present standards). Second, NWN was what I remember the first D&D RPG on market that utilized a full 3D engine. And I think it graphics was gorgeous (inevitable DR "NWN graphics sucks" comment to be followed). For 2002 standards, NWN was awesome, and as a sidenote, brought me into the RPG genre.

Funny that nobody complained about the ugly Warcraft 3 graphics back then.

At least NWN didn't look dated when it was released, as opposed to NWN2. :x

Its apples to apples, Morgoth. After all they are both PC games. I say it is more like comparing Granny Smith Apples to Red Delicious.

If it was apples to oranges it would be comparing NWN1 to a Ford Pinto.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Its apples to apples, Morgoth. After all they are both PC games. I say it is more like comparing Granny Smith Apples to Red Delicious.

Do people also compare, let's say Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee graphics with Crysis? Apples and Apples huh?

No. Different game, different needs. NWN graphics were great wehn it was released in 2002. For present standards, it isn't.

Neverwinter Nights looks really amazing, with some of the best use of lighting and shadows I've ever seen in a game. The real-time shadows are really incredible, and it's little touches like this that are going to be making me wish that it was in every game. This is the stuff we all expect when we hear "real-time" shadows...they dance on the walls, wrap around solid objects, stretch as you get further away from a light source, and are cast from actual objects in the game, like individual slats in windows and the ribcage of a skeleton. Textures are crisp and clean as well, and look particularly nice and 3D with bump-mapping enabled video cards.

Source: http://pc.ign.com/articles/363/363038p3.html

The biggest, and arguably the only, glaring flaw in the game, is its graphics. You can tell that this game has been in development for five years, especially when comparing it to competing titles like Dungeon Siege and Morrowind. Save for some nifty lighting effects, there's nothing truly impressive about its visuals. The textures are average, the character models need way more polygons, and the animations are jerky and incongruous with the environments.

Source: http://archive.gamespy.com/reviews/june02/...er/index2.shtml

NWN has been in development for five years and graphically it shows. The characters/monsters in the game are not very detailed at all. On the plus side Bioware has switched to a 3D engine that rocks. One of my biggest complaints about Baldur's Gate was the locked view. Everything looked far away, so I never felt like I was part of the action. NWN's camera can be manipulated in every way, although the angles are limited (and shame on them for that). Bioware did a great job at transitioning from 2D to 3D. The animations in the game are about average. There were plenty of times when the animations just didn't look right. I did, however, get a real thrill out of watching Jango parry a goblin and then kill the little bugger using two swords. NWN also has some of the best spell effects I have ever seen. I am in awe at how good Bioware is at developing these spectacular effects. The environments in NWN are very pretty; kudos to the artists for a job well done. Overall though, a game this hyped should have delivered more on the graphical goods.

Source: http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/features...erwinternights/

Neverwinter Nights has been in development for years, and it shows. The graphics engine is solid, but it isn't drop-dead gorgeous, like it would have been by the standards of a year or two ago. Many of the enemies you'll face look great, especially some of the larger ones. However, some of the character models look blocky, though the smooth animations and good-looking shadows make up for this.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinter...iew.html?page=4

So three out of four reviews mentioned the dated graphics. IGN was lyrical. Weird. I would have included the Eurogamer review also but it has somehow disappeared.

Personally, I remember thinking it looked like crap from the beginning.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

NWN graphics were great wehn it was released in 2002. For present standards, it isn't.

90% of NWN looked worse than any IE game, for me. It was still good graphics in the sense that compared to other 3D games, and considering its needs as an RPG, PW-supportive MP game and toolset-supportive game, it had as good graphics as you're going to get. But I think in general 3D took a while to look good.

NWN graphics were great wehn it was released in 2002. For present standards, it isn't.

But I think in general 3D took a while to look good.

Truth. And that's why I hope this whole tired arguing "OMG let's better get back to 2D" won't come up when DA gets released. There will be some inevitable comparisons with it's self-declared spiritual predecessor (BG), but people by now should really accept that 3D graphics is superior in any way. Even DR gotta admit that now. :)

I think that, as far as graphics are concerned, NWN's engine was very good in the lighting department, what with having great spell effects and real time lighting. Everything else was rather underwhelming, however.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

NWN graphics < IE graphics.

Corrected. Thanks.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What? People are still arguing over graphics of stone old games? Get over yourself, Volourn & Co.

This is 2009.

Indeed, all though it does seem strange that you've been indulging in the argument as much as anyone else. Hey, it's 2009, remember?

sonsofgygax.JPG

No. Different game, different needs. NWN graphics were great wehn it was released in 2002 in my biased, uneducated opinion. For present standards, it isn't IMO.

Corrected.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

QFT (still love you V even if your blind loyalty of nwn/bioware gets in your way of objective opinion)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

No. Different game, different needs. NWN graphics were great wehn it was released in 2002 in my biased, uneducated opinion. For present standards, it isn't IMO.

Corrected.

Trying to play the smartass again? Or why do people who can't accept other opinions then always try to "correct" others posts?

What? People are still arguing over graphics of stone old games? Get over yourself, Volourn & Co.

This is 2009.

Indeed, all though it does seem strange that you've been indulging in the argument as much as anyone else. Hey, it's 2009, remember?

I haven't made silly comparisons a'la "NWN graphics > IE". I merely stated that NWN's graphics were good/great when it was released.

"QFT (still love you V even if your blind loyalty of nwn/bioware gets in your way of objective opinion)"

This would be funny if I thought NWN was perfect, and had no criticism about it. Only the blind haters think I think NWN is perfect. Nor did I say NWN's graphics are perfect; but they're much better than what some are saying. You calimed that NWN's graphics were trashed on its original release by everybody. That simply isn't true. People are claiming that IE graphics were better than Aurora's. That is also false. *shrug*

The fact that NWN (a 2002 game)'s grpahics isn't as good as games made in 2009 is a silly comparison that proves nothing. NWN's graphics were better than more than a few of its fellow 2002 game sincluding the overrated MW and its brown poo poo.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Actually I remember playing NWN and Morrowind on the same day and only one of those games awed me with the graphics. It wasn't the Bioware one. But NWN was built with an incredible engine, one that blossomed over time. But the original campaign didn't look all that great when compared to the eye candy that was a sandstorm in Morrowind.

Actually I remember playing NWN and Morrowind on the same day and only one of those games awed me with the graphics. It wasn't the Bioware one. But NWN was built with an incredible engine, one that blossomed over time. But the original campaign didn't look all that great when compared to the eye candy that was a sandstorm in Morrowind.

Sandstorms were great. That NPCs would raise their arm up to shield their face was also neat. I remember the first time it rained and I could see individual drops plunking down on puddles of water.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

This is 2009.

I haven't made silly comparisons a'la "NWN graphics > IE". I merely stated that NWN's graphics were good/great when it was released.

Hey! Don't you know?!?!?! It's 2009. :aiee:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."