Smoke me a lung, and load me up

Walsingham

Right, I've managed to get a lung infection, and you all know what that means* ...Baldur's Gate!

Baldur's Gate, all the way through is massive, and I can't justify spending the time on it for what would be the second time in my life [played BG1 three times]. However, since I can't move about, that doesn't apply.**

I need from you people a list of teh mods I should install, and where to get 'em. Looking at the old thread, I see Tutueasy recommended above all. Please let me know in the net couple of hours as I'm bored silly.

*You don't.

**Until I can get a suspensor lift suit like in that film.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

BG1 Tweak Pack

Dark Side of the Sword Coast

BG 1 Adventure Pack

Item Upgrade

Stone of Askavar

For all of your BG needs found here. If you are going the TuTu way, The Stone of Askavar is the only mod that I mentioned above that can be used for it. The others can't yet.

Also if you use plain old BG without TuTu, install Baldurdash after any patches and before any mods install.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Thanks, but now I'm confused. I thought Tutu was the 'gold standard' option, as baseline.

EDIT: Having re-read crashgirl's comment about level capping in the old thread, I found this cap remover.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thanks, but now I'm confused. I thought Tutu was the 'gold standard' option, as baseline.

EDIT: Having re-read crashgirl's comment about level capping in the old thread, I found this cap remover.

I don't like the cap remover. It will let you keep gaining EXPs but it will show your level at -1. I prefer a level 30 or 40 rule set myself. No way you are going to get to that level in BG any way.

TuTu is a mod that converts/combines BG with BG2. It will enable you to use the BG2 game engine, you play through BG and once you defeat Sarevok, you can continue on playing into BG2 instead of quitting BG1 and go start up BG2. TuTu is a pain in the ass to install for some, is buggy for others. I'm old fashion and prefer to stick with vanilla BG.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Tutu is awesome and not a pain in the ass as long as you use easytutu (I'm going from memory but I believe that I'm correct). There was last I checked a bug that could show up in Beregost but I've never encountered it myself and I seem to rememer it just meaning you'll have to save before entering and do some checking on stuff after leaving, check their forums.

Edit: Also, exp. cap removers are for sissies, or something.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I certainly never objected to the level cap. Especially the second time through. Why would you need to be a higher level? But Crashgirl said he* got bored with the cap.

So long as I can carry the character through from BG1 to BG2, I've got no problems. I'd like more missions, and so forth. I don't mind about items if are typically overpowered munchkin fodder.

*What is up with that, anyway?

-Elwood Blues

But Crashgirl said he* got bored with the cap.

*snip*

Are you reffering to the confuddling power of a potentially (with a 99% chance or so) male using -girl in his screenname?

I've always maintained Crashgirl as a female in my mind as the idea of a girl posting on a messageboard about how much Oblivion sucks for being Oblivion is much cooler than the idea of a male doing it. :ermm:

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

There was last I checked a bug that could show up in Beregost but I've never encountered it myself

Lucky old you. I get it lots. It is controllable, and the NPC project makes Tutu worthwhile, but read the save game instructions on how to avoid the bug carefully and do it every time you enter Beregost, even if you've never had the bug before.

For me, the NPCs make the game, so the NPC project is definitely recommended. I'm a big fan of Finch, and Indira's okay, too. :p

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I certainly never objected to the level cap. Especially the second time through. Why would you need to be a higher level? But Crashgirl said he* got bored with the cap.

So long as I can carry the character through from BG1 to BG2, I've got no problems. I'd like more missions, and so forth. I don't mind about items if are typically overpowered munchkin fodder.

I wouldn't say a level cap remover or extender is neccessary. I just didn't find the game interesting enough to enjoy playing once my characters stopped leveling. There's tons more experience in the gameworld than can fit beneath the cap. If you rush through or just follow the main story arc, you probably wouldn't have a problem, but if you like to explore and talk with everyone, then you'll esaily max level before you even enter Baldur's Gate. ToTSC adds another level to the cap but it also adds a ton more XP as well so it doesn't really help.

But for those who find sufficient enjoyment in the game beyond building your characters, the XP cap is most likely not an issue in the first place.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

NPC Project, arguably, is worth it. The other mods are nice, but I've rarely been entirely happy with mods that add entirely new quests/areas because on various parts they really clash with the game (e.g. those horrible fantasy novel portraits, or simple grammar/spelling/punctuation errors, or really really crap VA, please no). I bear with it when the experience is long and fun, but I don't think there are very big ones yet.

The Secret of Bone Hill was pretty nice, though, even if I only got into half of it.

OK. So, barring any further objections I wil go with Easytutu, and the NPC project. Any further packages ?

[One important thing is that I'm a mod virgin, and Easytutu looks straightforward.]

Level cap:

So you're saying there shouldn't be a level cap before entering Baldur's Gate? I don't remember one at all, but it would make sense to ensure the stuff in 'Gate is the right level.

-Elwood Blues

Walsingham, using just those two mods is extremely unlikely to cause any compatability issues. I don't know if there is a BG1 fixpack / Baldurdash, but if there is the usual drill is to install it after the official patch but before any other mods.

If you are a mod virgin and decide to go for more check out one of the many mod compatability guides on the Pocket Plane or Gibberlings Three forums.

I routinely use about fifteen-twenty mods for BG2 (from Redemption / Ascension through to the Wes Weimer mods, PPG Unfinished Business and Quest Packs etc as well as tiny ones like the 1PP BG1 asset art mod). Getting the installation order as optimal as possible is critical, a fresh BG2 / mod install takes me about three hours but it's worth it.

Funnily enough, I've tried a few NPC mods but other people's ideas of a good Joinable NPC aren't necessarily mine. So I seldom use them. Kelsey is probably the best and most polished, plus you can't really go wrong with a sorcerer.

Note to BG2 modders: For those of us who've played the Yoshimo saga to death (literally) and want to feed Jan Jansen into a shredder, can we please have a single-class, combat-orientated thief NPC? Please?

Cheers

MC

Edit: If the Widescreen Mod works for BG1 then for the love of god get it. Awesome. You'll find it on Gibberlings Three. BG2 looks great on my 22" flatscreen at 1680 x 1050.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Thanks for the ongoing advice, all. I can't be the only person to be daunted about trying to use mods. I'd have thought a couple of 'set menus' would assist noobs like me. Meaning no disrespect to the modders, but if you want lots of people to play your mod surely you have to make it as accessible as possible. All Iwant to know is:

Unique Selling Points

Basic selling points

What it's compatible with

Where it sits in the order of installing.

-Elwood Blues

Yep, while places like Spellhold, PPG and all try to centralise and streamline what's on offer, you'll more often than not scratch your head trying to figure out what to install with what, in what order and so forth - if you aren't familiar with BG modding anwyay.

I'd definitely echo MC's advice about taking your time to do clean, well-ordered installs though. Saves you from a fubared game 15 hours in.

After you make a clean new install of BG, you should make a copy of it some where in case you wish to play vanilla BG. I have multiple copies of the games with different various mods installed on each of them.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

After you make a clean new install of BG, you should make a copy of it some where in case you wish to play vanilla BG. I have multiple copies of the games with different various mods installed on each of them.

I hadn't thought of that. Cunning.

In fact, I got tired of waiting for advice, and started NWN2 as a little goody two shoes. It's really hard to get by as a stuck up bastard who is also a ladies man. Virtually all my NPCs hate me, because I keep flip-flopping to try and cosy up to all the girls. :unsure:

-Elwood Blues

Essential:

EasyTUTU

BG1Tutu Enhancements

BG1 Unfinished Business

Sword Coast Stratagems (makes the game a whole new experience)

Optional:

The Fields of the Dead (Dunno about compatibility with SCS, seems to do a lot of the same things)

Baldur's Gate Mini Quests and Encounters (If it's compatible with SCS. Adds a few quests)

The BG1 NPC Project (if you like fanfic-quality writing and awkward romances :sorcerer: )

Widescreen mod (Pretty cool if you can get it to work, I couldn't on my old computer)

I played BG1 with the essential mods + the NPC Project last time, and I had a blast. Adds some flavour, but doesn't change the game too much. I'm thinking of starting a new game soon, and will probably try if Fields of the Dead and Mini Quests are compatible with SCS.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Depending on the state of your health, you may or may not be able to stomach reading through this whole thread, where many mods are discussed (unfortunately, the discussion isn't restricted to that).

As everyone is recommending TuTu, I'm going to go on a limb and recommend BGTrilogy. It adds some stuff you may not agree with, but I liked how it handled the transition.

BG1NPC - It's debatable whether fanfic-quality writing is better than NO writing whatsoever, but it has Jags' seal of approval...

SCS/SCSII - I don't know which version you would need if you go TuTu/BGT. AWESOME mod.

BG2 Fix Pack/Tweak Pack - Take a look at the changes list and decide for yourself which (if any) components you want.

Those are the things I wouldn't play BG/BG2 without.

SCS/SCSII - I don't know which version you would need if you go TuTu/BGT. AWESOME mod.

BG2 Fix Pack/Tweak Pack - Take a look at the changes list and decide for yourself which (if any) components you want.

SCS for Tutu/BG1, SCSII for BG2. Also forgot that BG2 fix and tweak pack work for Tutu and Trilogy. But yeah some components on those two are pretty essential.

I hadn't thought of that. Cunning.

In fact, I got tired of waiting for advice, and started NWN2 as a little goody two shoes. It's really hard to get by as a stuck up bastard who is also a ladies man. Virtually all my NPCs hate me, because I keep flip-flopping to try and cosy up to all the girls. :sorcerer:

It saves on reinstalling the game in case you didn't like something or something got screwed up with it.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

It's really hard to get by as a stuck up bastard who is also a ladies man. Virtually all my NPCs hate me, because I keep flip-flopping to try and cosy up to all the girls. :)

ahhh... so you roleplay yourself?

:sweat:

taks

comrade taks... just because.