Pathfinder RPG Beta

• 1 month later...

Two new scenarios roll out last week of Jan. A blessing for those who are already level 5 in the Society grand campaign

Fortunately, I've just reached my first level up after surviving some piratey action(and some horrible climb and swim checks) in the Hydra's Fang Incident, and so am nowhere near that end.

Furthermore, my build is a total gimp, but whatever. Shouldn't expect anything else by going to a tactical scenario campaign with a jack-of-all-trades ranger, pfft.

Have to plan a bit ahead in order to actually survive the Frozen Fingers of Midnight in two weeks time. Like for instance, not making a completely ass class choice in this level up. I asked the GM to freeze my character because I needed time to ponder whether another ranger level is worth it for an archer-skill guy.

In my defence, I planned my Taldoran Ranger, Vasco Cantige, first as a character with fluff that plays into the whole Society powerplay situation and then as an effective build. That's why there's the freaking Know. Dungeoneering which shall never ever have a purpose in any scenario I shall ever play, gahh. I can count the times I've needed Know. Nobility or Local or History so far. There's 5. That's 5 more than the freaking Dungeoneering skill.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 3 weeks later...

Anyways, I'm a level 2 Ranger then. Pretty cool, never having played tabletop D&D before. Frozen Fingers of Midnight would have been the best scenario so far, if our resident Chelaxians didn't overpower everything(barbarian only takes damage with a critical, thanks to tower shield, fighter took monk levels for imrpoved grapple and has a spiky armor, the cleric is a total tanker) each time "A CHALLENGER APPEARS". Otherwise, the Golarian vikings, Ulfen, have a great feel to them and the scenario had about 5 different endings, so great design there. We ended up sending back missing you-cards to disappointed factions leaders that all had a "From Rus...Ilarris with Love"-caption in them, but at least Jacquo Dalsine, head of the most corrupt Pathfinder lodge can't reach us in an enchanted polar kingdom based on Russian myth, hurrhurr.

And it will be great to try to fit the 1,5 months travel by caravan trip back to the Inner Sea to the character lore once we play the next scenario on Wednesday.

Love it.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, I saw the announcement, bloody awesome.

Me and a couple of mates will likely start a romp of Golarion once someone acquires the final version after summer. Honestly, it'll be great to finally use the new rules, instead of just playing 3,5 without prestige classes(nothing wrong with that though) and with the Pathfinder Equipment(armored kilts for everyone!) and Faction feat lists available. The Finnish branch of the Society grand campaign has been really something cool. Some of us are Living Greyhawk vets, so the disjunct scenario-based "world" feels a bit akward, but others, like me, had their first taste of D&D outside FR and that's really something admirable.

Thanks Paizo, thanks everyone.

kirottu said:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Rise of the Runelords it is!

We got together a group to try the adventure path and I'm making a Varisian scoundrel as extravagantly as I can! Some of the writing seems a little stupid and the maps are, as always, totally unheeding to laws of nature and geography, but the area of Varisia seems fresh, with very feint Pyrenees tone that I find intriguing. The campaign also has had mr Logue(Mist of Mwangi) writing for it, so am anxious. I read about the ogre redux, among other creature remakes, he did for Pathfinder especially and the whole "humanity's backwater ancestors" idea with strong hints of The Hills Have Eyes(monstrous clans of inbred retards lying in wait for booty and booty) is brilliantly sick.

"Yousa got purdy lips, hurr"

Also, apparently the faction business won't play too much into this adventure, other than political powers having a feud over the region, so it'll be more down-to-earth. And under-the-ogre, hur hur hur.

kirottu said:

The Playtest is now closed. The final version of the Pathfinder RPG will be coming out on 13 August 2009 during GenCon: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo...allyClosed1719e

Do we have a clue about what kind of changes they are planning to make? Are they major or just minor changes?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The Playtest is now closed. The final version of the Pathfinder RPG will be coming out on 13 August 2009 during GenCon: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizo...allyClosed1719e

Do we have a clue about what kind of changes they are planning to make? Are they major or just minor changes?

We don't know precisely what kinds of changes will be made, but there will be previews before the 13 August 2009 release. It has been stated several times by the designers, however, that the final version of the Pathfinder RPG will be closer to 3.5E than the Beta version was to 3.5E. They said, that they basically wanted to try how far they can push it and thus experimented with the Beta and some of the changes will be reverted back to 3.5E way of doing things (and for some of the changes I think this is a good thing).

There are also some hints that of some other changes. For example, a while back (still during the playtest) Jason (the lead designer) posted an alternate Barbarian and an alternate Paladin on the boards for community evaluation. These were substantially different from how those classes were in the Beta, and in my opinion much nicer (especially the Barbarian), so I hope they make it into the final versions (with some modifications based on my and other community-member feedback - I hope).

For now, however, we don't know of any specific changes. I am looking forward to the previews to find out!