Best 5 MMORPG's

ch3ss007

I wouldn't know about the BEST MMORPG because I refuse to pass that kind of judgment on something I've never played...

But I can, without a doubt, state which is the WORST MMORPG. Yes, worse than Star Wars Galaxies. In fact, this game is probably the worst game in the entire history of the world. It's worse than State of Emergency. It's worse than Deer Hunter 10.

FINAL FANTASY XI

Final Fantasy XI is one of the most party-based MMORPGs in the market right now. Oh wait, scratch that, FFXI is one of the most party-INHIBITIVE MMORPGs in the market right now. For a game that forces you to work with other people in order to do *any* sort of progression, it sure does do a great job of making you want to kill said other people, curl up into a little ball and live the rest of your life as a hermit, isolated from the outside world, severed of all contact from the bad nasty wicked men.

The game pigeonholes you into having at least one member of one single class, multiplied by four. You can predict at least half of the composition of 90% of all parties currently active in the game. WHM/BLM/RDM/PLD. This means that all of the other classes will probably spend a large majority (hours) of their game time doing nothing but sitting in town sending tells looking for groups. Hell, even the characters who are in the “wanted jobs” may spend hours constructing a party due to the fact that sometimes, there just might not be a White Mage online at the moment. This is because all party members must all be within one level of each other or at least one person will be screwed of XP. Yes, that means that if just ONE person levels up while you are grinding, you will need to break the party and go back to looking for a group.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, there is absolutely NO gameplay NOR skill in this game. You are given a set of abilities and spells- and you are expected to follow them in a prescribed manner set by others to the bone. You just hit your rows of macros in succession, maybe you might time one or two for a skill chain, but the game is literally just hitting Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, Ctrl-3 at the right times in the right order, again, and again and again.

If you thought that was tedious, monotonous and boring, then you need to see what you actually fight in this game. There are approximately forty five different monsters in this game, and all the areas you fight in are just basically full of variations of these forty five monsters. By variations, I mean they have more hit points and damage based on what level they are. That’s right- you can fight a level one crab at level one, and you could fight a level seventy five crab at level seventy five, and they will BOTH use the same exact bubble blast attack. Oh wait, except the level seventy five one has a larger number attached to that bubble blast attack.

But see, the thing is, certain of these monster “types” have some really painful special attacks, and therefore no one ever fights them for exp since it’s akin to suicide. This means that when grinding for exp, the only monsters you ever fight are usually creatures who are so cute you wouldn’t mind buying a plushie toy version of them. You fight crabs, caterpillars, flies, worms (that’s right, you’re killing BUGS for exp), onions (no joke), birds, more crabs and if you’re REALLY daring, maybe fish. Oh and rabbits and bees. Oh wait, no, scratch that, rabbits are too hard because they have a spin kick attack that does too much damage, and bees are also too hard because they have a kamikaze bee sting attack that also does too much damage.

Yes, your brave hero cowers in fear from rabbits and bees. The former you could look at as a monty python in joke if you want.

What’s also funny is the fact that these innocent wildlife creatures are just that- innocent. There is absolutely no reason why you would want to kill them in the first place. It’s not like these crabs are mauling random citizens, there is absolutely no incentive for you to be committing acts of massive, merciless, efficient genocide towards them. Hell, only one class even eats them anyways (only paladins really need the effects of boiled crab meat).

Meanwhile, for monsters that actually are evil, and are pillaging the innocent citizens, and are spreading decay and darkness throughout the world, most players would prefer casting invisible on themselves and sneaking past them.

You think that’s bad? Then you need to know about the items. There is no such thing as rare or powerful items, at least not until you’re at the highest level at which point it doesn’t even matter anymore. It is expected, even required, for you to have the best possible items for your level to even be given a party invite. Don’t have that second sniper ring? Go farm. These items are not cheap either. Said sniper ring is considered a necessity for all melee classes, and it costs approximately 500,000 gil for each one. And the prices are rising because of farmers who sell their gil on IGE.com.

In fact, in a majority of the game, you will look exactly like every single other character in your level range, in terms of clothing. It’s like a uniform. This applies until you get your artifact armors; in which case, you will now look exactly like every single other character of your class and level range. You only get the extremely rare items after you defeat highly notorious monsters, which require you to be maxed out at level 75 with a group of 18 other level 75 players just to take down. Oh and you need to wait for twenty four hours camping this monster’s spawn point, and there are so few of these highly notorious monsters that you also have to fight several other groups of level 75 players for the pull. Oh and the drop rates for the items you do want are also extremely rare. And ninety percent of the time, the items that DO drop from these bastages are actually crafting materials required for the item you DO want, so even if you manage to get said item you need to find an extremely high level crafter to actually make anything out of it. And the crafting system in this game is so horrifically tedious that if you actually can find a good enough crafter to do this for you, they will probably inflate the price to astronomical insanity due to the fact that they have total market dominance. And the monster can only be killed by extremely cheap kiting tactics. And if you are a melee character, you get to pride yourself in the fact that you contribute absolutely nothing to the fight.

Fun!

Then there’s dynamis, in which you need to gather a group of nearly a hundred level 75 characters, get them to all meet at one time, then pay one million gil so you could fight a horde of stuff that are each individually tougher than anything else, just so that you can each (all 75 of you) throw a lot on one of twenty components that you require to put together your “ultimate weapon”.

To this date, not one single person has even come close to making that ultimate weapon.

Let’s talk about artifact armors, because they are part of a quest. Hell, let’s talk about quests and “missions” in general. 90% of the time, you either can get an extremely high level person to complete these quests for you, or you can group up with six other people and all fight for that one item you need to complete the quest. There is a series of quests called “Genkai” which you need to complete in order to advance past a certain level. One of these quests requires you to gather three items, each with extremely rare drops, in three separate extremely difficult areas that would require a party of at least six. Which means you need to get at least SIX of said extremely rare, emphasis on the word rare, item before you’ll get to complete the quest, unless you’re lucky and you were the first ones to win the draw on the drop.

What usually happens is that this person is crucial to the party (for example the healer) and he decides to leave the party since he already got his item and doesn’t want to “waste time” helping the rest of the party to get their items, even though they helped him. This is the point where you add yet another soul onto the list of souls whom you desperately wish to slide off this mortal coil.

The PvP in this game is a joke. It’s called “Ballista” and it’s supposed to be a freaking sport where you grab a ball called a “petra” and throw it through a “rook” to score points. Welcome to stupidity! Whatever happened to plain old killing? Not only that, but the actual combat in “Ballista” sucks- first of all, everyone who even plays Ballista needs to have their sub job set as ninja because without the ninjas incredibly broken and cheap method of completely dodging attacks through “blink”, then you will easily get your butt raped to the back of your teeth. So what this basically ends up being is a fight to see who can get rid of each other’s blinks fast enough.

In hasty, half-assed conclusion, don’t buy nor play Final Fantasy XI. It sucks.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

• 3 weeks later...

There are no good MMOPOS's, so tere are therefore no "best".

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I played some trials, some almost made me want to play some more, and those were:

1) Everquest II

2) Dungeons and Dragons Online

They were not really "good games", but had some addictive elements. I loved gathering stuff for my collections and my appartment and crafting in EQII, also the faries were pretty, and jumping from high spots being able to sail a little was a good feeling :lol:. DnDO was slightly fun, as the quests were narrated, and I came quite far (i.e. Level 2 :lol:) with my rogue. Both didn't seem to force you into a guild or party.

Both didn't last over the trial stage however, as I have better things, among them games, to do with my time.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Surely in order to have a best five MMO's, you actually need five good MMO's and as there isn't actually one decent MMO on the market, I'm going to find this very difficult.

I suppose I could order my list based on time spent playing...

1. Dark Age of Camelot

2. Anarchy Online

3. Everquest 2

4. Age of Conan

5. Ultima Online

I would say they were playable piece's of caca. I know never to expect a good MMO. I only picked up AoC because i thought "Maybe this time it'll be different", I was so wrong... I won't make that mistake again mind, so no Warhammer online for me.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I would say they were playable piece's of caca. I know never to expect a good MMO. I only picked up AoC because i thought "Maybe this time it'll be different", I was so wrong... I won't make that mistake again mind, so no Warhammer online for me.

I think the only MMOs that has potential for being different is the Bioware MMO and Funcom's secret world

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Having a thread about naming your top 5 mmos is laughably stupid.

Why?

Because most people havent even played 5 mmos!

Even if you have, chances are you havent played them thorougly and I personally wouldnt take anyones oppinion of for example WoW unless they had played for at least a hundred hours or so (dont ask me how many hours ive spent, just dont).

FF XI sounds like a great MMORPG for koreans, they are crazy that way.

I think the only MMOs that has potential for being different is the Bioware MMO and Funcom's secret world

I will not make the mistake again... MMO = Grind fest, they will always be a varient of that mechanic, it may be wrapped up in a different skin, but the fundementals of MMO's is always the same dull elements.

I just don't see the point... I don't really feel the need for a glorified chat room.

Funcom BTW don't really know what they're doing... Awful tech. I surprised AoC actually runs the codebase is such a maintance nightmare it is HORRIBLE!

Edited by Nightshape

My point was that it need not be a glorified chatroom as that is just the dominant MMO form currently on the market as established by Everquest and refined by WoW.

New MMOs could attempt to change that if that is what they want, but all to often is it about snatching the crown from WoW instead.

Edit: Noone ever said Funcom were good coders. :lol:

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

My point was that it need not be a glorified chatroom as that is just the dominant MMO form currently on the market as established by Everquest and refined by WoW.

New MMOs could attempt to change that if that is what they want, but all to often is it about snatching the crown from WoW instead.

Edit: Noone ever said Funcom were good coders. :lol:

I never said they were bad coders, just that the codebase is a mess... If it's broken "AoC", then surely it needs fixing before you try and build something else with it... Funcom don't seem to be doing that, there is far too much pressure on features.

Edit: I just want to be clear in that, an MMO needs maintaining, and if the codebase is hard to maintain the problem will most likely get worse.

I don't see anyone changing the formula, as anything too different from WoW will be seen as too risky.

I've often had a similar opinion, waiting for that truly different MMO experience... I'd certainly give anything a shot. I just don't think I will believe it until I experience it.

Edited by Nightshape

I've only really played COH and WoW for any length of time.

I probably liked COH better but the drama has a tenancy to get out of hand as the servers are quite small in comparison to wow where you might see another person again but it's more than likely not.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Edit: I just want to be clear in that, an MMO needs maintaining, and if the codebase is hard to maintain the problem will most likely get worse.

Maintaining? As in the regular updates or something that someone with very little coding knowledge doens't understand/know about?

Simply put, it's very likely that the secret world will be buggy.

It's amazing that whenever there is a thread about MMO's, all the negative nillies show up and feel the need to throw in their two cents. If there was a thread about the top five RTS's, I wouldn't post because I'm not a fan of them. I wouldn't clutter the thread with my negativity.

I'm a big fan of MMO's. I always have one subscription going.

5. Ultima Online - Deserves a spot because it was the original big guy. It also did some stuff that other MMO's still haven't given the players. There was no levelling, skills could go up or down, and there was a lot of diversity in each character. It had a lot of customization in the world too, you could actually open up a shop and set up vendors. The PvP was hardcore and thieves actually stole stuff from players. I played for a couple months about 3 dfferent times.

4. Asheron's Call 2 - I put this on more because I personally enjoyed the experience with a few close friends I had in the original AC. It wasn't that great of an MMO, it was pretty incomplete, but the combat was pretty sweet. I played for 6 months before the content wore out.

3. Asheron's Call - My first real addiction when it came to MMO's. I met some great people in this game and I loved the wide open game world. It was a huge map. It also relied more on skills than levels, skills went up with use. It hooked me on Turbine games for sure. I played for a year and a half.

2. WoW - It's got millions of subscribers for a reason, it's polished, colorful, and has engaging quests. The starter areas are all so awesome that you really need to create a whole stable of characters to experience it all. The game does a good job of disguising the grind, but it really is a loot centric game. You are constantly trying to upgrade your gear, and that burnt me out after awhile. Still, I played for about 2 years and enjoyed it.

1. Lord of the Rings Online - I'm amazed at everything in this game. The graphics are awesome. The storyline is epic. The game world really captures the feel of the books and the movies. I've yet to feel like I was grinding for the next level and I'm at 47. I've just followed the storyline and my progression has been very natural. I also soloed from about 15-30, and it was challenging and fun. Lately I've joined a bigger kin and I'm having even more fun. I've played since release, about a year and a half.

Honorable mentions (games I've played more than a month): Everquest 2, Vanguard, Final Fantasy XI, Age of Conan, Lineage 2

It's amazing that whenever there is a thread about MMO's, all the negative nillies show up and feel the need to throw in their two cents. If there was a thread about the top five RTS's, I wouldn't post because I'm not a fan of them. I wouldn't clutter the thread with my negativity.

I'm a big fan of MMO's. I always have one subscription going.

5. Ultima Online - Deserves a spot because it was the original big guy. It also did some stuff that other MMO's still haven't given the players. There was no levelling, skills could go up or down, and there was a lot of diversity in each character. It had a lot of customization in the world too, you could actually open up a shop and set up vendors. The PvP was hardcore and thieves actually stole stuff from players. I played for a couple months about 3 dfferent times.

4. Asheron's Call 2 - I put this on more because I personally enjoyed the experience with a few close friends I had in the original AC. It wasn't that great of an MMO, it was pretty incomplete, but the combat was pretty sweet. I played for 6 months before the content wore out.

3. Asheron's Call - My first real addiction when it came to MMO's. I met some great people in this game and I loved the wide open game world. It was a huge map. It also relied more on skills than levels, skills went up with use. It hooked me on Turbine games for sure. I played for a year and a half.

2. WoW - It's got millions of subscribers for a reason, it's polished, colorful, and has engaging quests. The starter areas are all so awesome that you really need to create a whole stable of characters to experience it all. The game does a good job of disguising the grind, but it really is a loot centric game. You are constantly trying to upgrade your gear, and that burnt me out after awhile. Still, I played for about 2 years and enjoyed it.

1. Lord of the Rings Online - I'm amazed at everything in this game. The graphics are awesome. The storyline is epic. The game world really captures the feel of the books and the movies. I've yet to feel like I was grinding for the next level and I'm at 47. I've just followed the storyline and my progression has been very natural. I also soloed from about 15-30, and it was challenging and fun. Lately I've joined a bigger kin and I'm having even more fun. I've played since release, about a year and a half.

Honorable mentions (games I've played more than a month): Everquest 2, Vanguard, Final Fantasy XI, Age of Conan, Lineage 2

Ever tried City of Heroes?

I never got into it, tried the trial. I think it was more of a timing issue than the game itself. I like to play games when they are brand new, it's harder for me to get into a game if it's been around for awhile. I had the same issue with EQ1.

I never got into it, tried the trial. I think it was more of a timing issue than the game itself. I like to play games when they are brand new, it's harder for me to get into a game if it's been around for awhile. I had the same issue with EQ1.

the thing about COH/COV is that most of OH doesn't suck you in as much as COV does. In CoV you see stuff like Luddites talking about "This is a good protest, that is a bad protest" "can we use hammers?" "no that's part of the bad protest see?" or you see two thugs shooting at eachother with tommy guns while you fly past to your next destination.

COH, most of the backstory is told by quest text... and god all mighty is there a lot of quest text.

none of them are the best

or even rank amongst the top 5.

I wont pay to play something like that.....

nor do I like buying expansions for games that i have to pay to play.

not my cup of tea......

edit: being that opinions differ from person to person it really is a moot debate

Edited by steelfiredragon

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

1. Lord of the Rings Online - Best PvE of any MMO out there, amazing graphics and a solid crafting system.

2. World of Warcraft - PvE is fun but I never did the raiding part of it. The game is very much gear centric and I don't really like that.

3. Dark Age of Camelot - Best PvP of any MMO ever made...EVER. PvE and Crafting were a grinding bore but it's all about RvR, baby!

4. Asheron's Call - First MMO I ever played and what got me into the genre. It was a new way to hang out with RL friends who didn't live in the same town.

5. City of Heroes - Best character creation of any MMO. You get to be a super hero! Not much depth to the game and the fun wore off after a couple of months.

Warhammer is most likely going to be in my top 5 after I play it a little more.

Edited by Setzer

I've played quite a few MMORPGs, mostly betas and free trials, but I still haven't found any that I would be willing to invest a lot of time into and pay a monthly fee for.

I really did enjoy Auto Assault and played it off and on throughout its beta -- the most fun I've had with any MMO so far. Unfortunately some of what I thought would be its best features were never developed beyond the very basics and left in poor broken states. Although I never picked it up after it went retail I was sad when it closed down.

I suppose my second favorite MMO was Shattered Galaxy. Again, it was one I played off and on throughout its beta. I even got to be one of my faction Commander's subordinates at one point. After it went retail though the population dropped dramatically and as it stands now, along with severe unit imbalances and complete lack of continued development, if you aren't a paying subscriber who has already invested a significant amount of time you're fairly screwed in battle effectiveness. That is if you can even get in a battle as they're mostly controlled by guilds.

Right now I can't think of any current MMOs that really interest me but I am looking forward to two upcoming titles, "The Agency" and "Jumpgate Evolution." The Lego MMO looks intriguing as well for its social aspects.

Edited by LostStraw

I like the Dungeon Runners

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.