NHL 2k9

wesley2

The 2k edition used to be dead even with EA's version, but with the implementation of the skill stick, it's hard to imagine going back. 2k is supposed to be using a type of skill stick this year, though, so I'll keep an eye on it. It's not something I'll pick up on release, but it might be worth a try down the road.

I'm pretty stoked about the make-a-player this year in 09. You get to take him through the minors before he reaches the big leagues. I loved the fact that they implemented all the minor league teams last year, even though the execution was a bit clunky.

I played one of the 2K versions years ago, and thought it paled in comparison. But I know some people who swear by that series over EA's product. Count me in for the 09 group.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

2K isn't even on my radar. I have already reserved, and paid for 09. I have played probably played 100s of games with 08, and 09 sound slike 'more of the same but better'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I played one of the 2K versions years ago, and thought it paled in comparison. But I know some people who swear by that series over EA's product. Count me in for the 09 group.

There is actually a rather fun and amusing "battle" between fans of both companies sports games with zealots on both sides, whose opinions can't really be taken seriously when you consider the absolute hatred for the other company.

I have 2K5 on PS2 and 2001 on the PC, both have there strengths and weakness. When I finally breakdown and get either a PS3 or Xbox 360. I'll rent both and see who wins. Than again I might just stick to the PC version of NHL 2009

I ndon't hate 2KJ. I just thinkl their hockey socks comapred to EA's. 2K's basketball, on the other hand, is superior.

"There is actually a rather fun and amusing "battle" between fans of both companies sports games with zealots on both sides, whose opinions can't really be taken seriously when you consider the absolute hatred for the other company."

The best ones are the ones who go on the otehr game's site just to bash it. What a waste of energy. Just stay on your game's board. L0L

P.S. I meant 1000s of games.

Problem with 2K9 is that one of their 'BIG' features they're hyping is the ability to drive a zaboni inbetween periods. OMGZ! *must buy*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The last truly great NHL game was NHL 95.

"Problem with 2K9 is that one of their 'BIG' features they're hyping is the ability to drive a zaboni inbetween periods. OMGZ! *must buy*"

I always thought that the ability to fly the starfighter from Gradius during the intermission periods of Blades of Steel was a big deal.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

NHL95 was great. NHL 08 is also great. Given that they are 13 years apart and utilize incredibly different graphics and gameplay, I don't see the need to argue about it.

Leferd, have you tried NHL08? It really is a treat for hocky fans. The skill stick takes a bit of practice, but it's very good when you get used to it.

Haven't played 08. But I've played NHL 05 and 06. As well as 2K5, 2K6, and 2K7. Prefer the 2K series for the modern iterations.

I definitely hold NHL 93, 94, and 95 on a very high pedestal. Best sports video games ever played from a pure gameplay perspective. Perfect for 2P coop or Vs.

NHL's 96, 97, and 98 took 2 steps back for every step forward. Gameplay sucked.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Problem with 2K9 is that one of their 'BIG' features they're hyping is the ability to drive a zaboni inbetween periods. OMGZ! *must buy*

No, that's not of the big features their emphasizing, they are just saying that it's in there because they are going for fun gameplay. that's just going to be a fun sidebar to do during the games and it's going to make it appealing to non-hockey players. I don't mind it at all, their games are good simulations and exceedingly realistic as it is, so I don't think it's a downside that I can crash into my friends between periods.