Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

The Golden Compass- A pretty decent movie. It's a shame they won't release any sequels, or at least that seems to be the rumor. Instead it's just a cliffhanger.

Apparently Golden Compass is the reason New Line got folded back into WB. New Line had a deal for distribution where basically they kept all the domestic gross of the film, while distributors got all the international gross. The movie then went on to make about 80 million domestic and about 400 million international. WB then folded New Line into WB proper in order to void the distribution deal so they could make the sequels and keep the profits.

My big problem with Golden Compass was that they cut the ending. The book ended with

Lyra thinking she was bringing the Alethiometer to her father, but all it said was she was bringing him what he needed. Turns out what he needed was her friend she had been trying to rescue the whole time. In a small tustle her friend gets knocked off a cliff while Asrial's daemon holds her friends, when they reach the required distance they're severed and the resultant energy produced opens a rift to other dimensions. Asrial then hand in hand with Ms Coulter enters the rift, and Lyra follows vowing revenge.

. I like that ending better personally.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Dark Knight. It was good, a bit overrated though, i fail to see why this one is #1 at imdb.com.

A solid 8/10.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Reign of Fire

what a crappy movie!

I really liked that movie. I don't get all the criticism.

I seem to have fond memories of that movie that don't actually measure to what it really was. Though I'm a sucker for dragons. It was interesting to see them versus modern day weaponry, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I wanted to believe that X-Files: I Want to Believe would be a good movie (HAR HAR). I knew going in that it would be a monster of the week, but I was hoping for something more epic. Boils down to a psychic priest and a back woods operation. Chris Carter had 6 years to write a killer movie and he writes a bad episode of the week stretched out into an hour and half movie.

The Dark Knight. It was good, a bit overrated though, i fail to see why this one is #1 at imdb.com.

A solid 8/10.

It's at #3.

#303 is more like it, even thats generous

I would just like to refer everyone to my post here http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...9860&st=308

I was saying TDK was overrated when it was still unpopular to do so. :)

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Wall-E

They should have focused more on the love story, which was quite awesome. The save humanity plotline was a bit pointless.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They should have focused more on the love story, which was quite awesome. The save humanity plotline was a bit pointless.
Oh noes, the latest two pages of this thread contain much sad news... After the trailer, I thought there was no humanity at all, and now he even saves it? Damn :shrugz: Still, my friend is likely to pull me along with her to see it :) Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Contact

Nice movie. Decent acting. Very good sci-fi. Confusing and angering ending.

Very few things in this world are lamer than the ending of Contact.

i kinda liked it, though it could have been better. what was confusing about it, WILL?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

It left me confused in the sense I didn't understand the point of the movie. What side the movie was on.

It was mostly... disapointing. They could just

run the machine again and skip the "We can't believe you drama"

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

oh, yeah. blame sagan. i think the artistic license clause was invoked because such a solution would require an exposition of what they might actually discover.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I went and saw Traitor tonight. It was a good, although somewhat uneven film. Guy Pearce is awesome as always, and I was suprised to see that Steve Martin actually wrote this. I'd watch this again, definitely.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

A solid 8/10.

It's at #3.

I would just like to refer everyone to my post here http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...9860&st=308

And you are just as wrong back then as everyone else is now :)

A solid 8/10.

It's at #3.

And you are just as wrong back then as everyone else is now :)

aye. can someone give me a real problem with the film? as in, a critique that doesn't involve "waaaaah batman was sad at at the end"?

also, watched 21. pretty bad. i mean...Kevin, man, come on; the entire time, i just couldn't get into it, as was just so depressed for the man. plus, predictable romance plots, with weird progression

("no, this is just a business relationship" >>> "oh hey check out my suite it's cool let's screw")

is a no-no in my book.

but, i suppose, when all's said and done...it was worth a watch, and provided decent entertainment. just...never again.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

aye. can someone give me a real problem with the film?

I already reviewed it once, can't seem to find it now, but to say it's the greatest film ever made is to dismiss 100+ years of film making, (Unless of course you have seen every film)

But hey if you think it'd the greatest film ever made, who am I to say your wrong.

Edited by Kelverin

aye. can someone give me a real problem with the film? as in, a critique that doesn't involve "waaaaah batman was sad at at the end"?

I also have already reviewed it, but I'll reiterate...

I actually would give TDK 8 of 10, so it's not that I didn't like it at all, just that I found it to be seriously overrated.

I am one of those that did not like the ending, but not because it was "sad" (even though it did leave me with a horrible nasty feeling of despair) but rather because the last third of the movie is horribly unorganized and all over the place. It felt like Nolan used Heath Ledger's death as an excuse to include *every* scene he'd shot with the Joker in it...

I also had a problem with there being no likeable characters in the movie (other than Alfred and Lucius). Everybody else were self absorbed jerks. I, personally, have a hard time enjoying a movie where I can't connect to any of the characters.

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

My problems with the film were that Christian Bale looks awful in the batsuit with his bitch chin, and the way he sticks his lips out as far as they'll go when he talks doesn't help matters.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wall-E

Wait what? The movies biggest problem is that there is too much focus on that silly romance.

I have seen Wall E and THAT is a highly overated movie

@The Dark Knight "haters"

TDK is only overated by idiots and fools and as such it isn't worth a remark unless you want to risk a shouting match. It is still one of the best superhero action movies ever made though.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif