China did it

Xard

What?! I started watching at around 13.00 here in Sweden and it was pretty dull.. so I fell asleep in my couch and woke up when it was over. Are you now tellling me I missed the best show evah?? :x

Don't worry people just get easily distracted by bright lights and lots of well-choreographed bull****.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

What?! I started watching at around 13.00 here in Sweden and it was pretty dull.. so I fell asleep in my couch and woke up when it was over. Are you now tellling me I missed the best show evah?? :x

Don't worry people just get easily distracted by bright lights and lots of well-choreographed bull****.

Spoken like someone who has never choreographed **** in their life. Getting that many people on the same page was one of the most tremendous achievements I've ever seen, and that was just the first drum number. They went on and on with it.

As far as I am concerned this is just a public relations farce. China has the worse record on human rights and having it in China like this and giving all this attention is telling them that it is okay for them to kill and oppress.

Except China isn't one guy who we can put on trial. China is a country of billions and is made up of 20 something ethnic groups. The olympics aren't just for the government, they are also for the billions of people that live in China. This is something that the entire nation can be proud of.

If you say so, but due to the past actions of their government we should have boycotted the Olympics.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What?! I started watching at around 13.00 here in Sweden and it was pretty dull.. so I fell asleep in my couch and woke up when it was over. Are you now tellling me I missed the best show evah?? :ermm:

Spoken like someone who has never choreographed **** in their life. Getting that many people on the same page was one of the most tremendous achievements I've ever seen, and that was just the first drum number. They went on and on with it.

I did say that it was well-choreographed didn't I? My beef with their show was that while it probably took a lot of work and they can be proud that they did all that work, it essentially ammounts to nothing of worth. For me at least.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

The east germans were really good at marching in step too. They kinda had to be.

Crowds of one mind ought to terrify anyone who gives it a second thought.

:ermm:

But anyway, it was ****ing awesome.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I was really struck by the little boy walking with Yao Ming. That was a great story, and does much to express the inherent courage and selflessness that can come from the most unlikeliest of hobbits.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If you say so, but due to the past actions of their government we should have boycotted the Olympics.

Like we did with the 1936 Olympics?

What I'm saying is: There is no doom scenario in horizon that stops China's eventual rise to biggest powerplayer of the world

Great Leap Forward 2.0.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

The American team drew very loud cheers by the way. Probably third loudest after the host team and the team of Taiwan. The welcome for the Japanese team however was not so warm even though they were waving both Japanese and Chinese flags.

One interesting fact: the new nationl statium has no ac-equipped VIP viewing rooms so all the spectators were watching the whole 5-hour ceremony in 90 degree heat. (Statium designer staying true to the spirit of communism??) It got a chuckle out of me when during one camera appearance that apparently both Laura and George Bush were soaked in sweat and Mrs. Bush had found some comfort from a traditional Chinese fan and Mr. Bush had taken off his jacket. :ermm:

Like we did in 1980. What China is doing to its people, to the people of Tibet, and to the people of Burma is on par what the Soviets did in Afghanistan.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Like we did in 1980. What China is doing to its people, to the people of Tibet, and to the people of Burma is on par what the Soviets did in Afghanistan.

What, lose a war?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

No. Treating another people like crap and oppressing personal freedoms. Sheesh, are you guys really that thick?

The Chinese government has a near 80% approval rating in the Chinese population. What percentage does the American government have? The support for the Chinese government from the Chinese people is at all time high right now. Sure, there are things that could use improving but what some people don't seem to understand is that boycotting Olympics (which only means boycotting China in the Chinese people's mind) or advocating any sort of political agenda through the Olympics (which only means humiliation to China in the Chinese people's mind) only serves to rally the Chinese people together for their support for the government. Whatever the human rights groups are doing thinking that they are weakening the Chinese government's reign over its people only serves to strengthen it.

I think an American broadcaster summed it up pretty well. The Chinese people value independence over human rights. Until the human rights groups realize this, their efforts are futile.

Oppressing personal freedoms? When did that happen in the Afghan war? As far as I can recall they occupied Afghanistan at the request of the Afghan government. Also, the insurrection in Afghanistan was led by extremist nuts.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Chinese government has a near 80% approval rating in the Chinese population. What percentage does the American government have? The support for the Chinese government from the Chinese people is at all time high right now. Sure, there are things that could use improving but what some people don't seem to understand is that boycotting Olympics (which only means boycotting China in the Chinese people's mind) or advocating any sort of political agenda through the Olympics (which only means humiliation to China in the Chinese people's mind) only serves to rally the Chinese people together for their support for the government. Whatever the human rights groups are doing thinking that they are weakening the Chinese government's reign over its people only serves to strengthen it.

I think an American broadcaster summed it up pretty well. The Chinese people value independence over human rights. Until the human rights groups realize this, their efforts are futile.

I guess the Chinese people forgot about how their government massacred hundreds of people at Tiananmen Square. I won't nor will I ever forgive.

Still living in the 1990s? It's a totally different government now. You can talk about regulations on religion and press and Tibet. Today's Chinese government are ruled by different people and the person who ordered the troops on the students died 10 years ago.

Its the same government, just because its players are different doesn't mean the game has changed. Tibet is another reason to sever ties with China and stop supporting their action. Also, another would be their support of the military junta in Burma. Until China's government gives its people personal freedom and civil liberties we should have nothing to do with them. To do so is only reward their government for oppressing its people.

I remember those as well and I blame Nixon, and the Republicans for that mess. They were in power, they are responsible.

I'd be grotesquely hypcritical if i didn't agree a bit with julianw. Governments do change. I am the first to say that HM govt. and the British Army are not the same ones who brutalised the Irish for hundreds of years.

Forgiveness is important, or all we have is a ratchet on hate; a spiral into oblivion.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Its the same government, just because its players are different doesn't mean the game has changed.

Andrew Jackson led the same government that Abraham Lincoln did. Does that mean we should hold Lincoln responsible for the Trail of Tears?

Edited by Cycloneman
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Its the same government, just because its players are different doesn't mean the game has changed.

Andrew Jackson led the same government that Abraham Lincoln did. Does that mean we should hold Lincoln responsible for the Trail of Tears?

I do hold the US government, as a whole, responsible for the treatment of the native populations, so yes.

I do hold the US government, as a whole, responsible for the treatment of the native populations, so yes.

Still? Because, uh, that's a bit of a stretch.