The elder scrolls III: morrowind

Starcraft

Jazz jackrabbit 2

Unreal Tournament

Alpha Centauri

Legend (SNES game)

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Outlaws

Yes I realize that there are too many games here, but I couldn't do something like a top ten without it being random and mood-based.

I guess Diablo 2 deserves an honorable mention for best co-op gamplay since the dawn of time (legend). Also Gothic 2. And No one lives forver.

Edit: How the hell did I forget The Longest Journey?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Now I'm throwing in Dawn of War (with expansion, naturally) and Portal.

So, my top 10 consists of somewhere around 25 games.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

1. BG2

It's not dead, Volourn, I'm playing it this evening and people are still modding it. It's one of those few games that accomplishes almost everything it sets out to achieve, mainly via the generosity of spirit shown by the developers.

2. Medieval Total War (1 & 2)

An epic achievement, for me the strategy game equivalent of BG2.

3. IWD2

Controversial pick, I know, but I've played it to death, love the tinkering with the IE and the bravery of making a hardcore game for the fans. Great VO and music, BIS squeezed every last gram of functionality out of the ailing Infinity Engine. I salute you!

4. BG1

Nothing more needs to be said.

5. Jagged Alliance 2

Once upon a time developers were allowed to make games without marketing creatures, focus groups and console junkies telling them what to do. So Sirtech created one of the coolest games ever made. Tactics, humour, an adult video store with a hidden armoury and an ice cream van. Respect.

6. IWD

Just enormous dungeon-crawling fun. What games should be like.

7. Doom / Doom 2

The only FPS that has hooked me and kept me hooked. Atmosphere, excellent level design, pretty scary monsters. Shame about the movie.

8. X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Turn-based sci-fi goodness.

9. Fallout: Tactics

Love it to bits. Played it to death. A game that allowed me to go seriously tactical and play with all the toys, even a tank. Grossly underrated.

10. Rome: Total War

When modded, an excellent game (Total Realism) that I played to death.

Honourable mentions:

Blitzkrieg 1 & 2

Silent Storm

Diablo 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

i can't put mine in order, but i must say that i've played BG and BGII more than any other games, ever (or ever will). i'm still playing, too, which is why i often jab MC about his addiction (we share the same fate and all).

anyway, the above, plus (in no particular order, and collectively there are more than 10):

tales of the unknown, volume I: the bard's tale

the bard's tale II: destiny knight

ultima 7 (never played serpent's isle, btw)

icewind dale I (i don't share the same love for II, though i enjoyed it)

might and magic 1 and 2 (series up through 6 or 7 was good, i can't remember when it got ugly)

NWN2 and NWN2:MoTB

NWN1: HoTU (the OC was excruciating and i've never actually finished it)

i can't rank the older games since they were all played in the mid 80s, which was over 20 years ago. i could probably add some of the gold box games, too, and i'd never be able to sort out which of all the old games i prefer since i cannot remember them all. i played the BT games and first several M&M games on a C64 with my brothers when i was a stoner in high school. we would stay up all night till school time the next morning. these games were my introduction to computer gaming, which was started by my best friend at the time (he died in a car accident in 1989). i would probably say that i don't remember the games as much as i do the experiences with my brothers and my friend.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hummm... Let me see...

*Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

--Say what you will about Vampire: The Masquerade

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

"PS:T and Fallout are fun games, but the fact that the combat is quite poor in both these games certainly diminished some enjoyment, they're both classics I can't knock them in that respect, I've just had alot more fun playing ToEE because of the combat, and the fact I have a genuine like for the engine."

FO's combat is better than TOEE's. TOEE's combat system might be better; but the actual combat isn't.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"PS:T and Fallout are fun games, but the fact that the combat is quite poor in both these games certainly diminished some enjoyment, they're both classics I can't knock them in that respect, I've just had alot more fun playing ToEE because of the combat, and the fact I have a genuine like for the engine."

FO's combat is better than TOEE's. TOEE's combat system might be better; but the actual combat isn't.

And PS:T's is better than FO's I found out.

Which leads to strange conclusion

Better the combat system, worse the actual combat

lolwut

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"And PS:T's is better than FO's I found out."

WUT? :rolleyes:

Alone by the fact in PS:T (after I set combat difficulty to hardest) combat was harder because enemies delt so much damage.

Then again, I haven't played FO on the hardest yet *shrug*

Well, the point stands nonetheless

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Xenosaga Episode III

You mean I trudged and waded through Episodes I and II for nothing? Is III really worth playing to finish this trilogy off? I was only in it for the cut-scenes. :rolleyes:

Xenosaga episode III is a significant improvement on almost all facets compared to the previous 2. They really went back to the Xenogears roots. I recall thinking to myself when playing the game "**** be immaculate, dog."

Though, the big surprise/twist of the game was a bit silly, if you desire my educated opinion.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

might and magic 1 and 2 (series up through 6 or 7 was good, i can't remember when it got ugly)

8. Although 7 was teetering on the abyss. If you bailed after 6, you did well for yourself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

System Shock 2

No One Lives Forever

Civilization IV

Alpha Centauri

Planescape Torment

Baldur's Gate 2

Fallout 2

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Street Fighter 2

STALKER

Tales of Phantasia

Liero

Democracy 2

Jagged Alliance 2

Secret of Monkey Island

Leisure Suit Larry

Prince of Persia

SWIV

Xenon 2

Atik Atak

Jet Set Willy

Sim City

Caesar III

Quake

Match Day 2

Vagrant Story

MotB

Ogre Battle

Ultima VII

I think that's 10, more or less.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What? It was awesome and brilliantly funny.

Heja Sverige!!

Alzheimer's?

Heja Sverige!!

I think that's 10, more or less.

"10-ish," i believe is the word you're looking for.

yeah, SteveThaiBinh, i've heard that... by itself it's just under U7 in coolness, but the two combined together makes for a great experience (and a long one). quite frankly, as much as i loved U7, i never actually finished it. my C64 bellied up before i got done (dad launched it across the basement... tends to be bad) and i went away to college. i didn't play any more games till i got my first PC in 1993 or so, then i got U8 which was, well, terrible. i stayed away from games, again, till BG came out.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hmmm... Is that not SUBJECTIVE...

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me