Revan: Male or Female?

Which gender do you think the Revan character made more sense as?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which gender do you think the Revan character made more sense as?

• Male
    • Female
    • Either was believable

Since polls have become common place with all this waiting and not much new information, here's a slight twist to the polls.

Basically, when you got engrossed in the original KOTOR, which gender did you think it made the most sense for Revan to be? When you play KOTOR II, which gender will Revan be the majority of your play throughs?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

im voting male simply because thats how i think of revan now from countless play throughs as a male character, but if i was female i would have most likely played as female and voted likewise, so because ive voted male im not sexist (thats if anyone actually thinks that :) )i just think the character is highly personal the way you made them, so i really dont want to listen to women saying its female and men saying its male, ITS DIFFERENT FOR EVERY PLAYER, so lets keep it that way eh people :) we really dont want to go into this again do we?

im voting male simply because thats how i think of revan now from countless play throughs as a male character, but if i was female i would have most likely played as female and voted likewise, so because ive voted male im not sexist (thats if anyone actually thinks that :) )i just think the character is highly personal the way you made them, so i really dont want to listen to women saying its female and men saying its male, ITS DIFFERENT FOR EVERY PLAYER, so lets keep it that way eh people :) we really dont want to go into this again do we?

I don't think it'd be sexist to believe that Revan was whatever gender the player happens to be.

I don't think in those terms. I think in terms of the character and what would make the game more believable or fun for me. For one thing, because I think the Bastila/Revan romance has more appeal and seemed more...developed than the Revan/Carth, and thus for the "Better" romance to work, Revan was male.

It's all about what fits the story better.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

im voting male simply because thats how i think of revan now from countless play throughs as a male character, but if i was female i would have most likely played as female and voted likewise, so because ive voted male im not sexist (thats if anyone actually thinks that :huh: )i just think the character is highly personal the way you made them, so i really dont want to listen to women saying its female and men saying its male, ITS DIFFERENT FOR EVERY PLAYER, so lets keep it that way eh people ;) we really dont want to go into this again do we?

I don't think it'd be sexist to believe that Revan was whatever gender the player happens to be.

I don't think in those terms. I think in terms of the character and what would make the game more believable or fun for me. For one thing, because I think the Bastila/Revan romance has more appeal and seemed more...developed than the Revan/Carth, and thus for the "Better" romance to work, Revan was male.

It's all about what fits the story better.

you know that and i know that but you know as well as me you always get the odd one or two who say something and set threads like these on fire ;)

When I played the first time, and found out I was Revan, my immediate first thought was, 'I wonder how they'll make sense of this if I play a female?' When I played as a female, I felt profound disappointment that no one was saying 'WHAT!? Revan was a WOMAN!?!' when on the Ebon Hawk after the Leviathan.

The game heavily implies Revan is male....most notably in calling him 'Dark LORD of the Sith.' I would think 'Dark LADY of the Sith' would be more appropriate if Revan were female, but of course that would have been a dead giveaway.

Also, far more is put into the Bastila connection than into the Carth connection. As well, without the 'romance' going, the Bastila confrontation on the Star Forge isn't anywhere near as effective, and changes from a moment of Darth Vader-like redemption to just another example of Bioware never quite grasping that the Dark Side isn't something you can switch in and out of at the drop of a hat.

Most importantly of all: 'Revan' just doesn't sound like a woman's name. ;)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I know this sounds stupid but men are generally stronger than women, It just seems right having a male sith lord rather than having a female sith lord

I wouldn't put it that way, but I get your point.

Consider it this way: look at world history. Look at the number of despots, mass murderers, tyrants, vicious nasty thugs and conquerors.

Now, out of this sordid bunch, how many are female?

I honestly think it's much more of a male characteristic to want to kill people and burn things. ;)

Revan didn't want to kill people and burn things; he wanted power. Killing people and burning things just so happened to be very effective.

The game heavily implies that Revan brought in the cold, calculating Sith ways (Master vs Apprentice battle; executing a commander who shows weakness; survival of the strongest), but it was Malak who had the bloodlust ("Everyone knows it was Malak who ordered the destruction of your planet.").

And anyway, I just like the thought of Revan as a male. The Sith are ALL male in the movies (Palpatine, Vader, Dooku, Maul), and Tavion and Alora are the only two female darkside force users from the games I can think of...

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Revan didn't want to kill people and burn things; he wanted power.  Killing people and burning things just so happened to be very effective.

The game heavily implies that Revan brought in the cold, calculating Sith ways (Master vs Apprentice battle; executing a commander who shows weakness; survival of the strongest), but it was Malak who had the bloodlust ("Everyone knows it was Malak who ordered the destruction of your planet.").

And anyway, I just like the thought of Revan as a male.  The Sith are ALL male in the movies (Palpatine, Vader, Dooku, Maul), and Tavion and Alora are the only two female darkside force users from the games I can think of...

*cough* Komari Vosa *cough*

Whoosat?

Sorry, I'm an "in passing" Star Wars fan. Star Wars is good, has good movies (the originals are better though...), and has some good games (and some not good games). But as far as the EU is concerned, I'm going to be pretty much baffled.

Male, of course. Probably because I'm male meself.

Revan...just doesn't have a female ring to it.

Almost all past conquerers, war leaders and tyrants were, as someone else mentioned, male. The vast majority of women who did come into supreme power, like the empresses of the various Chinese Dynasties did so through catching the eye of the supreme guy then systematically and secretly killing off all the competition.

I think the latter is much more scarier though.

Revan...just doesn't have a female ring to it.

They should've named him/her Darth Pat.

I know this sounds stupid but men are generally stronger than women, It just seems right having a male sith lord rather than having a female sith lord

That only applies to physical strength though. Being the Dark Lord of the Sith isn't about how much you can bench, it's about your power through the Force, your strength of will and personality.

I mean look at Palpatine, he's a wrinkly old wreck who's always got dumb muscle like Vader or Maul on hand for the rough stuff, and worse yet he was a politician, but he was the Master.

Aw, I'm pretty sure Palpy was quite the duelist back in his day.

Anyway, the game heavily implies that Revan was a male. Combine that with how lame the Carth romance was, the history of male Sith lords, and the majority of the players being male, I think it would be safe to say that if they had to write a book or make a movie about the events in KOTOR, then Revan would be male.

By the way:

If they ever make a KOTOR movie, I stand by my ridiculous suggestion of switching off a male and female actor/actress for the PC. They'd alternate scenes, and flirt with the person appropriate for their gender. And to top it all off, none of the people on-screen would seem to notice this gender-bending character. And while the non-KOTOR playing public scratched their heads, I'd be splitting my sides.

They should've made the Bastila romance for both male & female Revan; much better conceptually.....

I agree, but having a Lesbian romance (at least, one that doesn't require you to jump through ten dozen hoops just to get a highly unsatisfactory conclusion) would get the fundies up in arms.

For a game like Fallout 2, which seems to have been designed from top to bottom as a gigantic middle finger to those complaining about 'mature content' in games, that wouldn't be a problem. But with Star Wars, I don't think Lucasarts would tolerate it.

Does it really matter if Revan was male or female?  The story was basically the same either way.

Does anything posted on these forums really matter? Not in terms of life or death or importance to one's real life. But speculation is fun to pass the time.

Geeze you're a grumpy old man.