My awful computer needs an update. Bad.

That example build that mkreku put up is really nice, I just don't see what's the point of shelling out the money required for Vista at this point. I'm guessing you have a working copy of XP somewhere so use that instead. It saves you 100$ right now, and you can always get Vista later if, at some point, there's a good enough reason for you to want it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm afraid XP came with the pre-built PC, so I don't have installation discs... I think.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

oh, bummer. How much does XP cost, these days?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

130$CA at futureshop.

I think I'll just stick to Vista. I won't have to make the switch later when it becomes the major OS.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The chance of Vista becoming the major OS to such a degree that XP will be obsolete is almost insignificant. I currently have it installed on my home computer and apart from DX10 there is not a single feature I have use for compared to XP.

MS know they dropped the ball on this one, so Windows 7 will be released before XP becomes obsolete, that I'm sure of.

But if you need to buy an OS, it matters little which you get.

The reason I included Vista in the calculation was that it's always included in pre-built computers and I wanted to match the one Will posted earlier as close as possible. Also, the Vista I linked is the 64 bit version, which is needed to take advantage of the 4GB of RAM I also linked.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The reason I included Vista in the calculation was that it's always included in pre-built computers and I wanted to match the one Will posted earlier as close as possible. Also, the Vista I linked is the 64 bit version, which is needed to take advantage of the 4GB of RAM I also linked.

AFAIK 32bit XP can utilize something like 3.75 gb of ram. I don't think the missing 0.25 is worth Vista.

32bit is enough to address a whole 4GB. Some of 4GB RAM isn't available to user processes, because the same addresses are used for memory mapped IO and probably other stuff I currently don't think of. If the usable rest is 3.75GB or 3.25, 3.5, 3.1415926 depends on things like amount of memory on the graphics card etc.

IIrc, since a certain update, Vista always says there are 4GB, even if it's the 32bit version. Lacking a copy of it, I'm not sure however :lol:

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Okay you lost me.

Isn't 4Gigs more than enough for... pretty much anything?

Okay you lost me.

Isn't 4Gigs more than enough for... pretty much anything?

Right now 2 gigs is enough for gaming. You only need more if you do video editing, Photoshop or just like to have a lot of programs open at the same time. 4 gigs is more than enough for a home computer.

Eventually the actual amount of RAM exceeds the needed amount... What games actually demand 4GB anyways? XD

Ah.

MMOs make sense, but Crysis? Anyways, that game sure is demanding...