My awful computer needs an update. Bad.

Should I even be buying pre-built? How hard is it to build your own computer?

It is very easy. Everything is colour coded and even the processor comes with its own little instruction manual on how to assemble it correctly. The only thing that's vital knowledge is that you can not, under any circumstance, discharge static electricity during the assembly. So throw out all the cats you own, don't wear woollen socks and touch something large and metal before you start. I usually touch the radiator in my room before juggling the parts.

After that it's just a matter of careful thought and a firm hand. The order of the assembly varies from people to people, but I usually start by fastening the motherboard to the computer case (unless I am using a third party CPU fan, in which case I install that first). Then I plop in the CPU and the memory sticks, since they usually need the most uncluttered hand space to install. After that you just install the GPU and hard drives and any additional hardware you want (DVD burner?). Last you connect all the cables. Done. It's a rush turning on your newly built machine and seeing it boot up for the first time. Every time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

he order of the assembly varies from people to people, but I usually start by fastening the motherboard to the computer case
I started like this too, but only once. I was unable to put the damn PSU into the case after I had installed everything else... Never gonna happen again o:)

And yes, it does take time and probably some frustration until it's all put together nicely, but in the end, there's this feeling of accomplishment. Also, as it's the first time assembling a system, you'd have to make extra sure you buy compatible components of good quality. You also don't necessarily end up spending less money than on a pre-assembled system anymore. Maybe it's worth considering buying a system from a different place instead.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

You also don't necessarily end up spending less money than on a pre-assembled system anymore.

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion while looking at my options - I think I might avoid the hassle and buy a pre-built PC. o:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Building a PC is fun. I wish I could do it more often. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. Like putting together a giant 3D puzzle.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

he order of the assembly varies from people to people, but I usually start by fastening the motherboard to the computer case
I started like this too, but only once. I was unable to put the damn PSU into the case after I had installed everything else... Never gonna happen again -_-

Lesson learned: don't buy crappy cases.

Sounds fun.

But I think that'll be my last option. Pre-built might be annoying but I don't think I can see it through. That and the lack of warranties. I like warranties.

I'm almost giving up. My budget is not large enough, the use I'll have for it is still questonable and heck, my 360 has 99% of all the games I want released on it. There's a good chance I'll buy one anyway, maybe take a media PC (usually good RAM, processor, etc. but a very crappy video card) and just upgrade it with a 8800 Gt or something. It'll probably end up costing less or it'll simply be less of a hassle.

If onylu I could find a pre-built PC with the kind of setting Bokishi mentioned.

I didn't put this combo together myself, but it's actually something Crytek recommended back in January to run Crysis on high

CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6750

GPU - GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 650i Socket 775

PSU - 600W ATX12V

RAM - 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM

DVD - 20x DVD

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes. I think he misunderstood someone's statement concerning "single warranty", because each component has its own warranty instead of just one for the whole system if you buy individual components.

Looked at some new videos for PC games.

Okay, so I absolutly need a new computer. I really want to play Call of Duty 4 online, I want to play WoW without awful graphics and lag, I've missed out on some of the greatest RPGs ever and I absolutly HAVE to see real 3d shadows on the PC ASAP. I'll start shopping again. :/

For warranties: That's better. I really thought they weren't any warranties.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Prebuilt systems often cut corners somewhere to save on purchase costs, on the other hand those that build them usually know more about the components than your average enthusiast.

Just remember that whatever blurb they put next to it, 'media pc', 'gamer rig', etc, it means nothing, look at the specs and then research them a little, ask around.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Yeah, I usually google search the video cards they have to see how good they are.

And I think I found a good one...

Yet another Futureshop computer

This one has a quad processor, 3GB of RAM, 256 MB Video memory, 2.4GHz and an ATI RAdeon HD3450 (256MB Add On Adapter)... and from what I saw that's a good graphics card, which means I'd buy it.

The price for the rig would be 630$CA without the screen.

256 MB Video memory, 2.4GHz and an ATI RAdeon HD3450 (256MB Add On Adapter)... and from what I saw that's a good graphics card, which means I'd buy it.
Depends on how you define "good"... It's even slower than the 9500GS you cited on the last page. It's a 20$ graphics card, so what do you expect? :excl: Edited by samm

Ah. Well that's too bad. ...why is this always so complicated. 20$ graphic card? It sounded more expensive...

[/RANT]

Back to looking around. Again.

EDIT: The amount of pre-built computers with good graphics cards is incredibly small. I mean, I don't want the top of the range hardware but is it really so hard to find a pre-built computer that can actually get good framerates with modern games?

EDIT: The amount of pre-built computers with good graphics cards is incredibly small. I mean, I don't want the top of the range hardware but is it really so hard to find a pre-built computer that can actually get good framerates with modern games?
Apparently. They all put in a fast (or at least as multicore as possible) processor, and ridiculous things like a 20-in-1-cardreader, a no name mobo (possibly with no upgrading possibility and without BIOS updates), a no name PSU, no name RAM, and a dirt cheap graphics card just for the sake of having one in. Just the impression I get when reading what systems you come up with :excl:

Other alternatives for pre-built systems seem to be gaming systems, and then they cost you thousands... or office systems, and then you can't play at all.

Edited by samm

Oh, how I adore PC gaming.

I guess I'll go a little higher then.

It seems I found something from another completely different site. General specs from the other ones, except for an Nvidia 9600GT..

I bet 50$ the next post will be about why this rig isn't any good.

That's a decent setup. Only real problems I see with it is that the PSU doesn't fare well with upgrades. Also, as usual, the weak point is the GPU. But this time you're in the mid-range and it will support all the games you've mentioned in this thread. Just don't expect to get blazing frames per second with everything on max and ridiculously high resolutions. You will be able to play WoW maxed out though, no problem. Not Crysis, not even close. But then again, even Bok's rig kneels under Crysis on max.

I could recommend that. It would support you well enough for a while, and when you feel the need for something stronger, all you need to do is upgrade the GPU.

This does not matter for you, but I must say whoever built that setup chose a really weird motherboard. Why choose a motherboard with integrated graphics and then ship it with a GPU? I don't get it.

And for the record, I still think you'd be better off building your own rig. No need to compromise on any part. We don't know the brand on the RAM, hard drive or the DVD drives in this case. I'm personally very picky with that stuff.

I tried building a computer that would match or exceed the rig you posted above on Newegg.com. The result:

$26.99: Samsung 22x DVD burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151171

$99.99: Antec Sonata III (with 500W Antec PSU): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129024

$69.99: Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152098

$179.99: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102747

$87.00: Corsair 4GB PC6400 (800MHz): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145184

$189.99: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036

$109.99: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116488

=

$843.93 - $20 (mail in rebate for Corsair RAM) - $20 (mail in rebate for Sapphire GPU)

=

$803.93

That's $4 more than the rig you posted earlier, and I bet this setup beats the prebuilt one in almost every aspect (not sure about the hard drive since they never mentioned the brand). Of course, you'd have to build it yourself.

This does not matter for you, but I must say whoever built that setup chose a really weird motherboard. Why choose a motherboard with integrated graphics and then ship it with a GPU? I don't get it.
Not soo strange a mobo imo, just quite old. It may compromise upgrades, if the max. supported processor is a Phenom 9600 (but I'm not sure of that, it's just the newest proc. I could find on it, can't find the official support list). The processor is ok (speed probably about a C2D e7200 or e8200).

580 W is easily enough power from the PSU, if indeed it does deliver it and isn't a no name product.

And man was I happy when my mobo had an integrated graphics when my graphics card decided to strike (even if in the end it turnded out that it wasn't the graphics card that was causing it, but the pci-e slot which died because of a north bridge failure...). The next mobo I'll buy will probably again have an integrated graphics card, especially if they get that HybridPower / PowerXPress working for desktops and all graphics cards.

Oh, and Will the almighty: I'd ask them if they could insert the new version of the 6000+ processor, uses less power and could be a bit faster :ermm: (The part number would be ADA6000DOBOX) Don't know whether you can change the setup and wheter the mobo is fine with this new processor. If the mobo can't take it even if you can change the setup (without additional cost, that is), ask for the 6000+ (89W version) instead, that's a version just as old as the normal 6000+ but draws a little less power again o:)

And for the record, I still think you'd be better off building your own rig. No need to compromise on any part. We don't know the brand on the RAM, hard drive or the DVD drives in this case. I'm personally very picky with that stuff.
I follow that notion. However, some people prefer a rig they can just plug in and it works without having to do plugging and wiring instead just directly pressing the power button. I understand that too. Edited by samm

I tried building a computer that would match or exceed the rig you posted above on Newegg.com. The result:

$26.99: Samsung 22x DVD burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151171

$99.99: Antec Sonata III (with 500W Antec PSU): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129024

$69.99: Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822152098

$179.99: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102747

$87.00: Corsair 4GB PC6400 (800MHz): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145184

$189.99: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115036

$109.99: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116488

=

$843.93 - $20 (mail in rebate for Corsair RAM) - $20 (mail in rebate for Sapphire GPU)

=

$803.93

That's $4 more than the rig you posted earlier, and I bet this setup beats the prebuilt one in almost every aspect (not sure about the hard drive since they never mentioned the brand). Of course, you'd have to build it yourself.

I think I'm up to the challenge of building it, as long as there are actually guides somewhere. Experience isn't really on my side here, and I have this worry of screwing things up or not being able to comprehend the wiring (which actually doesn't seem all that complicated). The rig also seems pretty damn good.

Also, I love this forum. So very helpful.

I think I'm up to the challenge of building it, as long as there are actually guides somewhere.

Hey, that is (among other things) what forums are for :)

Glad to see you decided for the do-it-yourself option. Careful though, it can be addictive.

Unless you use excessive physcial force to bash it together, there is very little you can do wrong when assembling it. Everybody has their own preferred order in which to do things. I've bought my pc's bit by bit over time and assembled they as I received the components. Looking some like 1. attach PSU to Case (if purchased seperately), 2. Hook up the motherboard to Case, 3. put in RAM and CPU (plus CPU fan), 4. Plug in other cards (sound, gfx, whatever) 5. attach drives to Case and connect to motherboard 6. Hook up other stuff (keyboard, monitor, mouse etc.) 7. Cross fingers, pray if it helps, switch on main power :thumbsup:

Other people do things in a different order.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think I'm up to the challenge of building it, as long as there are actually guides somewhere.

Unless you use excessive physcial force to bash it together, there is very little you can do wrong when assembling it.

You mean the universal method of "smacking it to fix it" doesn't work here? Darnit. :thumbsup:

This also means it'll be much easier to modify in the future though, which is an enormous plus for me. What the heck, this is the best option I've had so far, and I don't to compromise on anything, while also keeping a nice price. Add maybe 200$ for the screen, keyboard and mouse though, and this is sounding cheap but really effective.

You would get a thick book of a manual along with your ASUS motherboard. In it there are explanations on how to assemble everything. Just remember to not shock any part with static electricity, follow the manual and ask for advice if something is unclear and it really is no problem.

In the example build I posted above, you would not need to worry about assembling the PSU first, since it comes pre-assembled with the Antec case.

Oh, and I now noticed that I never actually included the link to the motherboard I had looked up! If you calculate the price from the original example post, you'll see that it adds up to $764. So just add a board for around $80. I had chosen an ASUS one. MSI are good too. And ABIT (mostly for overclock enthusiasts). Oh, and if you find yourself with any spare money, THIS is where you should spend them. I usually splash a lot on the motherboard since it's such a vital part of the computer.

$79.99: ASUS P5K SE EPU (energy saving functions): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131278

That explains why the cost seemed smaller when I calculated it.

Thanks again.