Games that made you weep

So what games do you really want to avoid? You don't have to have played it, though.

Personally, Sonic the Hedgehog [360/PS3] was awful. Sonic is always awful. Lameass dialogue with VAs that made me cry in pain and terrible controls... Ples lackluster graphics and an increased chance to RRoD.

I also want to avoid Too Human and Fracture. They sound stupid, especially Fracture, where the major selling point is raising and lowering the ground (admit it, that's the most boring gimmick ever) and has some absolutely terrible acting and story.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

PoR 2 such promise, such potential, all hope flushed down the sewers.

Lionheart. An interesting game, the death knell of BiS/Interplay.

NWN. Such high hype and hope. Pathetic graphics killed the enjoyment of this game.

Fallout 3. Fallout universe we knew you well. Obviously Bethy doesn't.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

NWN. Such high hype and hope. Pathetic graphics killed the enjoyment of this game.

too true

AOE3-such a let down after the 2nd, IMO they just tried to hard. :down:

KotOR 1 and 2-it made me sad... however it was not in a bad way, i just didn't want them to end. :thumbsup:

A certain annoying, pathetic, furry, purple dinosaur should be:

1. Held up as a loving role model for children

I'm confused, are we supposed to bitch about games that didn't live up to our hopes, or games we were never even interested in anyway?

Why exactly would one need to "avoid" games anyway? Do games come around to your place wanting to be played and then you turn off all the lights and pretend no one is home?

If we are going to have the "shattered dreams" category then, yes, NWN is right up there for me. Turgid dross.

Funnily enough the other one is Pool of Radiance 2, Ruins of whatever. Not only was it in the shattered dreams category, but it sucked from a gameplay perspective too.

The PC version of Squad Leader also falls squarely into this category, as did The Elder Scrolls. That NPC dialogue system still gives me nightmares.

sonsofgygax.JPG

when Aeris died ;_;

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Planescape: Torment, the dialogue putting the crazy incarnation to rest was beautiful.

Oh, weep out of hate? I thought we were being all sensitive and stuff here. :(

Anyway, I usually enjoy all the games I try, since I do so mcuh research before buying one (yeah, too poor). I can only think of Medieval: Total War 2... so much potential, so much good, but a few hours in I realised that I had a lot more fun with MTW1 and half the game was just Rome: Total War reskinned.

Civilization III "When the series jumped the shark."

**** you, Civ 4 is easily best of the series

PS:T had many genuily moving moments. Too bad I'd been spoiled badly for that game, so they impacted me way less than they otherwise would've. Nevertheless it is telling of game's power when those moments had such impact even then.

For example

when you learn truth about Morte and his past with you and what your **** previous incarnate did to him after Morte lost knowledge from Pillar of Skulls

I think I've never been as bitter about gaming than when 3/4 of Torment was spoiled for me.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

if a game is lame, i rarely play it for long enough to start weeping.

for instance, never having played any of the Gothic games, i bought Gothic 3 to see what the fuss was about.

i gained a level after killing 3 orcs. then the game crashed to desktop. so i uninstalled it and sold it on ebay.

probably the longest i stuck with a game that blew was Lionheart, but only because the first part was so dramatically better than what came after.

dumber than a bag of hammers

When Aeris died. . .

Hey, I was only 14!

:(

NWN 1 - I was so horribly dissapointed with NWN that it even affected my playthrough of Obsidian's sequel. I haven't completed Mask of The Betrayer yet - simply because of the association with NWN 1 ..

KOTOR 2's ending really dissapointed me (I blame the God of evil deadlines).

Civ IV - Although that's completly my own fault. I wanted the game so bad that I played it on a computer that couldn't handle it - and the frustration of not being able to play without severe lag stuck with me, so every time I try to play it now I get frustrated out of habit. Which is even more annoying cause I love the series (even III)

Lionheart - It's one of those wierd games I keep going back too - the setting is so interesting that I want to play it again, but the game just sucks.

My biggest disappointment was Europa Universalis III, I can't play the game for more than 3 minutes before I give up.. Normally graphics don't bother me, but they are so bad in EU3 that I really wish they'd just reused the original engine instead.. I seriously feel disgusted when I see the game..

Fortune favors the bald.

I hated: Sacred. :( To be fair, it was the first full-on action hack'n'slash RPG I'd ever played, and I would probably have had the same bad reaction to Diablo if I'd encountered it first, but it said RPG on the box so I assumed I'd be getting something along the lines of Arcanum or Ultima VII, and instead I got a glorified table tennis simulator.

I cried: I've only played all the way through Planescape: Torment twice, and both times it left me quite emotionally drained at the end, so I spent the next day or so drifting around the house unable to get into doing anything else. That's why I'm reluctant to replay it, even though I know there's loads of stuff I haven't seen and done. And yes, I did cry when my Nameless One

finally accepted his fate and headed off for the Blood War at the end.

It was partly the story, but to be honest it's usually a game's music that provokes, or fails to provoke, a strong emotional response in me.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Dungeon Lords: I had this game on pre-order and it looked good in the previews. Unfortunately, they released it two seconds after making it possible to run through the main quest without the game crashing. That means there's no furniture in the houses, there are no people in the cities, there's a general alone in the woods, referencing his (nonexistant) great army, there's not even fires in the fireplaces even though the light-source is there! Horrible disappointment, especially since the game would have been good if only they had filled it out with stuff.

Gothic 3: I had this on pre-order too, but when the game was released I checked the forums first before installing it myself (remembering the Gothic 2 debacle..). It was a mess and I ended up owning the game for 8-10 months before finally installing it! By then it had been thoroughly patched and at least worked. Now I love it, but boy was that first time heartbreaking.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I honestly don't get all the NWN1 hate. Yeah, the OCs were poor. I'll concede that. But the mod community for the game has been amazing, and taken it far beyond what you get out of the box. There's modules on the Vault that have writing and content quality as high as any professionally released RPG today. The only game that I got more value out of than it was BG.

Mass Effect makes me cry right now though...as I'm one of the countless victims of the game's catastrophic bug list. Two months after release, and it's still a $50 coaster.

When Aeris died. . .

Hey, I was only 14!

Am I the only one who thought: "Hey, that was a cool sword strike!"

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

When Aeris died. . .

Hey, I was only 14!

Am I the only one who thought: "Hey, that was a cool sword strike!"

:(

Ahem... anywho... :p

The game that truely made me sad... Master of Orion 3. :)

Dungeon Lords: I had this game on pre-order and it looked good in the previews. Unfortunately, they released it two seconds after making it possible to run through the main quest without the game crashing. That means there's no furniture in the houses, there are no people in the cities, there's a general alone in the woods, referencing his (nonexistant) great army, there's not even fires in the fireplaces even though the light-source is there! Horrible disappointment, especially since the game would have been good if only they had filled it out with stuff.

Dungeon Lords was the last game I will ever purchase without doing a least a small amount of research before I buy. I'm still embarrased that I gave them my money.

Master of Orion 3. :(

:p

In the end a huge amount of patching made it sorta playable, but uh, I ask myself why....

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Gonna have to agree with DarqueysaucecakesImisstheresidentevilavatarness.

Master of Orion 3 is, to date, the only game I've ever bought where I found myself compelled to continue to play if only to justify the investment of cash. It was, to put it kindly, an orgy of suck and failure.

NWN2 comes to mind as well, though not a true tear-jerker, just disappointing. The story looked promising and I got into it a bit (Ya know, in between crashes.), but the rampant technical problems at launch and even a month or so afterwards pretty much killed my interest in the game itself, also controls just felt clunky to me. It's sitting on my HD right now so I may get around to finishing it one of these days...

...Why do I see torches off in the distance?

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

My biggest disappointment was Europa Universalis III, I can't play the game for more than 3 minutes before I give up.. Normally graphics don't bother me, but they are so bad in EU3 that I really wish they'd just reused the original engine instead.. I seriously feel disgusted when I see the game..

I almost want to slap you for such a silly comment... almost. Have you tried the graphics mod that overhauls quite a lot of the graphics? Supposedly it is quite good. I personally can't stand it but judging from your post you might just be crazy enough to like it.

I would definitely recommend that you try it as it's easily the best of the series unless you're some kind of crazy flaming grognard who prefer to have crappy set-pieces to actual fun.

Edit: @OP

I don't cry over videogames. I cry over crappy 360 controllers.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I honestly don't get all the NWN1 hate. Yeah, the OCs were poor. I'll concede that. But the mod community for the game has been amazing, and taken it far beyond what you get out of the box. There's modules on the Vault that have writing and content quality as high as any professionally released RPG today. The only game that I got more value out of than it was BG.

Mass Effect makes me cry right now though...as I'm one of the countless victims of the game's catastrophic bug list. Two months after release, and it's still a $50 coaster.

It's not just the OCs. The one controllable character only combat, really brings the whole experience down even if it's a mod. I rememebr trying out some of the more well regarded mods, and I really couldn't get past the stupid combat. Also, the mods sharing all the assets with the hated OC didn't help.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: