Books

Gorth

Also re-reading The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. I have absolutely no doubt that Obama would love to have this book banned.

Why do you say that?

I just read his biography on Wikipedia, and he sounds completely mental.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Forgot...I also bought & read Howl's Moving Castle. Very very different from the movie (such as, not nearly as romanticized) but just as entertaining, if not more so.

Alas, being a "young adult" novel it wasn't nearly long enough...I finished it in under 3 hours. Also not descriptive-complex enough for me in some things. Worth the read tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Am reading Dawnthief. I don't know if my standards are rising, but I think it's a bit rubbish. It very VERY generic fantasy up to page 100 where I'm at, except the occasions when the people behave as if they're midwestern Americans from the 1990s. It's like having suburbanites doing an evening roleplaying. It's all painful plot leaps and flashing steel, combined with PC attitudes, and coffee in the morning.

Still, against the odds I seem to be enjoying it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Flash by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Apparently it's a sequel to a book called Archform: Beauty, which I picked up after reading Flash. Pretty good book, although it's kind of weird, (like loving a robot?), but I thought it was good enough to get any other books related to it.

Starting on Hell Hath No Fury by David Weber and Linda Evans, which is a sequel to Hell's Gate, which I kind of liked, kind of didn't.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just picked up 3 graphic novels: Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, and The Watchmen. Bought them from Amazon. They'd been popping up on every "recommended shopping" list, everytime I went to the site, ever sine I bought The Dark Knight, back when it first came out on DVD. Resistance Is Futile.

So far I've read Year One. It's really short compared to the other two. I've just begun Dark Knight today. I haven't read a comic book, let alone a graphic novel, in a very long time, but these are quite enjoyable so far. I can't help but make comparisons between Year One and Batman Begins.

Edit: punctuation fail.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Just picked up 3 graphic novels: Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, and The Watchmen. Bought them from Amazon. They'd been popping up on every "recommended shopping" list, everytime I went to the site, ever sine I bought The Dark Knight, back when it first came out on DVD. Resistance Is Futile.

So far I've read Year One. It's really short compared to the other two. I've just begun Dark Knight today. I haven't read a comic book, let alone a graphic novel, in a very long time, but these are quite enjoyable so far. I can't help but make comparisons between Year One and Batman Begins.

Year one is actually a retelling of batmans origin by Frank Miller. Of course the guy has gone bonkers and has become similar to judd winnick in that e always changes the characters to suit his morals.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My mother bought me the leather bound The Complete Frank Miller Batman when I was a wee snot. I thought Miller was the best thing that had ever happened to comics.

Here I am, the tail end of 2009, and he hasn't created anything good for a decade. Frank Miller, what happed to you?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Year one is actually a retelling of batmans origin by Frank Miller. Of course the guy has gone bonkers and has become similar to judd winnick in that e always changes the characters to suit his morals.

Well, he certainly made Jim Gordon a BMF. But it's interesting to see where the movie had drawn from the book, even though it's not supposed to be based on Year One at all, IIRC.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Well, he certainly made Jim Gordon a BMF. But it's interesting to see where the movie had drawn from the book, even though it's not supposed to be based on Year One at all, IIRC.

Actually, DKR I think is more based on the events of "long halloween" than anything else. Which was written by Jeph Loeb.

Actually, DKR I think is more based on the events of "long halloween" than anything else. Which was written by Jeph Loeb.

Yeah, I was talking about the similarities between Batman Begins and Year One. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Not to take anything away from DK the movie, I actually think DKR would have made a good movie on its own. In fact it probably still could.

EDIT: Forgot to add I think I'll buy Long Halloween next time I go graphic Novel shopping. I did have a look at it on the amazon site.

Edited by mr insomniac

Get Dark Victory while you are at it. Loeb & Sale haven't failed for me yet.

Though I actually liked Gambit: Victims, so I guess that makes me a fanboy, kuhhuh.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Get Dark Victory while you are at it. Loeb & Sale haven't failed for me yet.

Though I actually liked Gambit: Victims, so I guess that makes me a fanboy, kuhhuh.

Yeah, they are a GOOD team. Admittedly I haven't read many bat books (staying with Teen Titans Superman, and Lantern).

Now reading the Flash Technologies PC-324/M Users Manual and Installation Guide. Scintillating stuff I kid you not.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Picked up Final crisis, a GLC trade (with the reintroduction of the star sapphires), and Messiah War.

Final Crisis I'm gonna need to read again in order to get it all ironed out. But the basics are, New Gods got in a war, New Genesis lost, and now Darksied is going about making the future that was in Rock of the Ages happen.

Splitting free time on Frankenstien from the library and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress my first reading of Robert A.Heinlein. I'm glad I picked it up.

Edited by Asol

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

My mother bought me the leather bound The Complete Frank Miller Batman when I was a wee snot. I thought Miller was the best thing that had ever happened to comics.

Here I am, the tail end of 2009, and he hasn't created anything good for a decade. Frank Miller, what happed to you?

I have that leather bound book as well. :ermm: And my thoughts exactly with what has Frank Miller done in the last 10 years. He was on a high in the '80s. Now, there's really nothing worth mentioning in the last decade, as you've mentioned.

Good Omens could be a hit or miss, depending on how much you like Pratchett and Neverwhere is a bit of bore, but you really can't go wrong with American Gods. Get Anansi Boys by the same author while you're at it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Good Omens could be a hit or miss, depending on how much you like Pratchett and Neverwhere is a bit of bore, but you really can't go wrong with American Gods. Get Anansi Boys by the same author while you're at it.

Anansi boys isn't as strong as American Gods. Neverwhere can be a bit slow but is fun overall.

I'm only on Discworld 6 (I'm an incredibly slow reader) but I love Pratchett so far, so I suspect I will like it.

I'm only on Discworld 6 (I'm an incredibly slow reader) but I love Pratchett so far, so I suspect I will like it.

Just gonna say, Good omens sometimes has an audible thunk when the authors changed.

Now reading The Good Soldiers by David Finkel. Excellent book following the lives of the soldiers of the 2nd Battalion 16th Infantry through the surge and beyond. Facisnating reading, once again reminding me how much the efforts and sacrifices by the military go unnoticed and unappreciated by those who have never lifted a finger for their country.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell