Books

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Currently reading Alan Campbell - "Iron Angel"

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2008...n-campbell.html

Game designer/developer gone novellist :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just finished the thriller 'Archangel' by Robert Harris. Much better than Fatherland. Packed with great scenes and characters. Thrilling plot. Couldn't recommend it higher for what it does.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

right now im reading Krondor-Tear of the Gods by Raymond Feist.

i enjoy reading his books; good plots, characters and twists.

Edited by shadowplay107

A certain annoying, pathetic, furry, purple dinosaur should be:

1. Held up as a loving role model for children

The Highway Man.

The Ancient.

The Silver Shard.

Streams of Silver.

Eulalia.

Liked them all, :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Treasure Island.

I saw Muppet Treasure Island years ago, I figured Blind Pew was such a ridiculous character the guys from the Muppets must have came up with him.

Turns out they didn't.

For me, Muppet Treasure Island is the definitive version.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm currently looking for a book to read.

Like a different view on historical events (a "what if" book).. Do you guys know any good ones?

You could give David Gemmels "Troy" trilogy a try?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm currently looking for a book to read.

Like a different view on historical events (a "what if" book).. Do you guys know any good ones?

How about What If America?

-Elwood Blues

Treasure Island.

I saw Muppet Treasure Island years ago, I figured Blind Pew was such a ridiculous character the guys from the Muppets must have came up with him.

Turns out they didn't.

For me, Muppet Treasure Island is the definitive version.

QFT

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still reading George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I am in the middle of Storm of Swords and feel like I've been punched in the gut repeatedly.

Lets just say I've read through a certain wedding and I feel sick. I have to admire the handiwork and scheming that went on there and I suspected that something like that might happen, but I still feel horrible. I was not prepared. I was rooting for the

Young Wolf

Damnit, Mr. Martin, you write a good story. Now I have to stay up late and see how this pans out.

I'm still reading George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I am in the middle of Storm of Swords and feel like I've been punched in the gut repeatedly.

Lets just say I've read through a certain wedding and I feel sick. I have to admire the handiwork and scheming that went on there and I suspected that something like that might happen, but I still feel horrible. I was not prepared. I was rooting for the

Young Wolf

Damnit, Mr. Martin, you write a good story. Now I have to stay up late and see how this pans out.

He certainly does. I heard the poor chap was ill, though.

I must confess I also liked the Wild Card stories. That really would be due for an MMORPG.

-Elwood Blues

I heard the poor chap was ill, though.

That would be alarming. I don't see any mention of illness on his LiveJournal, though. In fact, he is recently back from a trip to Europe, which I can't imagine he would have undertaken if his health was in question.

I'm between books right now. I think I'm going to pick up McCarthy's The Road next.

Edited by Enoch

I'm glad he's not ill any more. I looked, and he mentioned it himself in the afterword to his last book.

-Elwood Blues

He isn't ill at the moment but quite a lot of fans are scared that he'll die before finishing all the books. They are mostly just whiners but he doesn't exactly look healthy.

I just love how ubiquitous this reaction is amongst people who like his books. :lol:

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

You really can't put them down.

-Elwood Blues

Young Wolf

haha yeah it's great

pretty much everything that can go wrong, does go wrong >_<

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Young Wolf

haha yeah it's great

pretty much everything that can go wrong, does go wrong :grin:

I wouldn't necessarily say that. It's just that Martin has a different category of characters he's emotionally invested in than most fantasy writers. He doesn't fit his people into the traditional "hero"/"supporting cast" categories. Instead, interesting characters live, and boring characters die (or perhaps have something happen to them that makes them interesting, as with Bran right at the beginning of the books). I wasn't surprised by the

red wedding

because

Robb

was never a particularly interesting character--

he was the dutiful son and pretty much nothing else

Catelyn

had been interesting, but by the middle of ASoS, she was just a drag. It's the same throughout the series--

Ned

? Boring. He dies.

Tyrion

?

Arya

?

The Hound (probably)

? Fascinating. Despite numerous brushes with death, they live.

Edited by Enoch

That sounds almost gladiatorial.

-Elwood Blues

I'm reading the Bible and the worst book ever written.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I have really, really hard time believeing Herman Hesse's book can be worst ever

Anyway, I'm reading book called Life After Death that mostly deals with different conceptions of death and afterlife in different cultures. Really insightful and and informing book, polynesians beliefs were some heavy **** back in the day

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)