DO NOT buy a new Geforce 8800GT

samm

A german magazine and some message boards have put out the news that POV is selling a "new" model of the old price/performance winner 8800GT. This new revision has been seriously crippled in performance by cutting the memory interface in half (now 128 bit) and deactivating shaders (now only 6 shader and 48 TMUs). It was said that it isn't an nVidia design, but has been created by POV on its own initiative, however other manufacturers will now start selling the same slow version of this hardware.

So if you're going to buy an 8800GT, make sure you avoid this model.

Sources:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/hardware/g...-bit-interface/ (german)

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/sh...ad.php?t=426833 (german)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'm glad I bought my 4870! Not that I think the ATI manufacturer's wouldn't do a thing like this.. It's just, it hasn't been done yet.

By the way, I can still recommend the 4870. Really impressive GPU.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You can get a 8800GTX with 768mb ram for 1500 swedish crowns (158euro) now, though. So theres no reason to get a GT

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't quite understand why they're doing this. Is it because they have trouble competing with ATI when it comes to pricing? It feels like a sure way of destroying your brand trust among customers by doing stuff like this..

Yeah, definitely ruining their own brand.

I think the reason isn't competition, or rather indirect. They just sit on many old chips they have to get rid of, and couldn't sell it for a price they can make profit with, now they can produce less complex boards for partially damaged chips or something, and sell it for a higher price than their performance would suggest (i.e. a price close to that of the "real" versions with the same name, instead of close to the cards with matching performance).

Edited by samm

SLi is overrated, IMO. Im running it at the moment with dual 7800GTX and I definently prefer a single powerful card instead. The nvidia 200-series seem like the best choice at the moment, the new ATI's run way too hot and are thus unrealiable and have a short lifespan

3 reasons why you shouldnt get SLi or dual cards like the 9800GX2

1. the performance increase is only about 20% and only noticeable in high resolutions 1920x1200 and beyond

2. the cards only use the memory of the primary card, thus 2x512mb = 1x512mb

3. you cant use more than one screen with SLi

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The new ATIs run as hot as the old x1950 :woot: The reason is that they're trying to keep the fans as quiet as possible, thus letting them spin at very low speeds. Tweaking the fan speeds or installing a third party cooler fixes this.

On topic: A (probably inclomplete) list of crippled graphics cards one should avoid. The article is german, google translation should make at least the list itself intelligible.

My 4870 idles at 77 degrees!

Overdrive.jpg

And my X1950XTX used to idle around 73 degrees so yeah, they get a bit hot. But the fan is really silent. In fact, I can never hear it unless I'm playing a really heavy game, when it spins up slightly so I can hear a very weak whirring noise. It doesn't affect the system temperature either as the GPU is an enclosed system and pumps out massive amounts of hot air through its own fan hole on the backside of the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's actually helping lower the temperatures inside the case because of its throughput of air.

• 3 months later...

Another cool surprise (cool in temperature, not performance) for low budget gamers:

The geForce 9600GSO+. While the 9600 GT and GSO offered great speed for the money, the new 9600 GSO+ is a strange breed (of evil). It has only 56% of the computing power of a 9600 GSO, but offers 60% more memory bandwith. Because the 9600 GSO wasn't limited by memory bandwith, this is a really strange move, as is calling it "GSO+", and we should expect some serious performance drops compared to the old 9600 GSO caused by the less than halfed computation speed.

Edited by samm

My 4870 idles at 77 degrees!

And my X1950XTX used to idle around 73 degrees so yeah, they get a bit hot. But the fan is really silent. In fact, I can never hear it unless I'm playing a really heavy game, when it spins up slightly so I can hear a very weak whirring noise. It doesn't affect the system temperature either as the GPU is an enclosed system and pumps out massive amounts of hot air through its own fan hole on the backside of the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's actually helping lower the temperatures inside the case because of its throughput of air.

Wow! Your 4870 idles at 14C warmer than my 4850. It's currently sitting at 63C at stock fan speeds. :shifty:

Does a almost-white-hot graphics card affect the rest of the computer? Or performance? Or even the lifetime of the hardware?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Does a almost-white-hot graphics card affect the rest of the computer? Or performance? Or even the lifetime of the hardware?

Depends on your case. If your GPU becomes 100 degrees Celsius and you have bad ventilation in the case, then yes, it will start to affect other parts as well (there was one Geforce passive cooled card that actually reached above 100 degrees!). If you have enough ventilation, the heat probably won't spread much from the GPU to anything else. Unless you have a very cramped case, in which case it's almost impossible to get rid of the excess heat.

And Hardware life will be shortened significantly if regularly run at temperatures of 80C or more, thats 170F for you barbarians.

samm's right, btw. cooler = better, in general, but there's no magic point at which everything starts to decay. in fact, there are some things that require hotter temps, but that's not really a concern for what we're discussing. :banghead:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I want to know why the hell no-one has made a graphics card with a ramen put attached.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.