Earthquake rocks California

Kelverin

A strong earthquake has shaken Southern California. The late Tuesday morning jolt was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego, and slightly in Las Vegas. Preliminary information from the U.S. Geological Survey estimated the quake at magnitude 5.8, centered 29 miles east-southeast of downtown Los Angeles near Chino Hills. Watch News 8 at Noon for updates in this story.

Hope everyones alright.

I didn't feel anything.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

i wouldn't call a 5.8 "strong," at least not compared to what southern cal experiences from time to time. still, anything near LA is worthy of concern given the density of population there.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Its not a strong earthquake in California unless I can feel it in Iowa. :thumbsup:

That is good to hear, Alvin. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

btw, i'm still waiting for my home in COS to be considered "beach front property." ya'll in CA are going under one day, and i'll be RICH!

taks

btw, i'm still waiting for my home in COS to be considered "beach front property." ya'll in CA are going under one day, and i'll be RICH!

taks

I think Colorado Springs is on the wrong side of the Rockies for that to work....

You'd have to flood Texas, Oklahoma & Kansas to get your beach front property.

:thumbsup:

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I think Colorado Springs is on the wrong side of the Rockies for that to work....

yeah, i realize that... no matter. i figure if everything on the west side of the continental divide drops in, i'll be close enough to call it "beach front" to be happy. :)

growing up in missouri i got to experience the occasional quake, and there was one recently as a matter of fact. never anything strong enough to do more than shake me out of bed, however.

taks

I've never experienced an earthquake before.. a part of me really wants to.

It's humbling.

No matter how advance man becomes, no matter how powerful and mighty, the natural world will humble him and will put him in his lowly place as just another screaming monkey, powerless when facing nature's wrath.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

No matter how advance man becomes, no matter how powerful and mighty, the natural world will humble him and will put him in his lowly place as just another screaming monkey, powerless when facing nature's wrath.

Piffle. If mother nature wants to rumble with me, she best be prepared to lose!

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've never experienced an earthquake before.. a part of me really wants to.

Try living in Wellington for a while... Shryke and Tigranes could probablt sleep through an earthquake without noticing it :)

It gets hit by an average of 4 earthquakes per day :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect
Piffle. If mother nature wants to rumble with me, she best be prepared to lose!

No more LSD for you bud.

The Terminator will save you!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It was not that big a deal. A 5.4 earthquake (the revised estimate) is considered a low-end moderate quake. A "toddler" quake, if you will! This one was shallow, so would be felt more, but those closest to the epicenter might see a crack in their concrete and lose a few breakables; that's about all.

SoCal natives (like me) have been through so many quakes that one can usually judge with fair accuracy the size and distance of the quake within the first 2 seconds. Most natives would have gone back to sleep after this one. :teehee:

Not a big deal. Seriously. Unless it's a precursor... (cue scary music!)

That's what you get for living on top of a faultline, we Swedes patiently waited millions of years until ours settled down before we started living here.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The only one up here in my lifetime that ever felt like it might be a "big one" was the Loma Prieta in '89 (and it was major for many people - not us tho). All the rest feel no worse than a 10 pound cat jumping lightly up and down on your bed or a big freight truck/train rumbling by a trailer park.

But a 5.0+ can feel a little disturbing depending on your location to the epicenter and the building you're in. Some buildings are a lot...shakier than others. :p

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Shaking is find. I just have a problem with collapsing.

That's what you get for living on top of a faultline, we Swedes patiently waited millions of years until ours settled down before we started living here.

:p:lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.