What you did today

Gorth

It's icky hot here, we no longer have a swimming pool since we moved, my street is blocked off from the city slurry-tarring the road so I can't drive anywhere for a while, and the WoW beta is shutdown for the afternoon.

But ... I can always sit in a bathtub full of cold water and I can walk to the nearest mini-mart for some ice cream.

Mmm...ice cream.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

btw, today started on a rather humorous note. well, humorous for anyone other than me. see, i'm still suffering from this stomach thing. the GI docs don't have a clue and have given me the "functional dyspepsia" diagnosis which, when translated into human speak, means "we don't know, but your belly aches." no kidding. anyway, after having the myriad tests all come back negative, i asked that they test for h. pylori again and they obliged ordering a blood test and a stool test. the blood test looks for antibodies which doesn't tell you if you have h. pylori, only whether you've been exposed. of course, a positive for me would indicate that i actually have the danged bacteria since a) it does not go away without treatment and b) i've never had treatment for it. the stool test actually looks for the dead carcasses of the bacteria, or some remnant, and a positive means you actually are infected. yay. the thought is that maybe the biopsy was a false negative (and i'm certain he did it wrong based on the research i've done).

anyway, i got the blood work done yesterday... the vampire actually stuck me good this time and it hurt. so i get a little cup for the stool. this ain't something i'm comfortable doing at the office so i held out till i got home yesterday. great. so now i got a cup 'o poo sitting on the toilet overnight (sealed, fortunately) waiting for me to drop it off at a lab. i leave the house this morning dutifully remembering to bring mr. hankey along, but brilliantly forgetting to check the whereabouts of the nearest lab. after dropping my son off at school, i called the wife since she gets lab work done regularly (diabetic). she'll know where to go, right? huh, last time i trust her. the place didn't exist. so here i am driving around town with an already aging cup of poo, looking for a lab so i can drop it off. fortunately, i remembered that one of our doctor's offices also has a lab in the building so i called and sure enough, paydirt (pun not intended). i pull up to the counter and explain to the nurse that i need some lab work done and i handed her the order. of course, she wanted to suck my blood again and i politely let her know that i was bone dry and needed no more taken. she then went off to get me a poo collection kit when i said i didn't need to do that. "oh?" she replied, "do you want to bring it in later?" "no, it's right here" i said. at this point i thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head and she said "oh, you have it HERE!" yup, mr. hankey was ready for delivery, all i need to do was put him in the little bio-hazard baggie she had scrounged. i explained that there was probably some humorous story involved with my arriving there after driving around for half an hour with a cup of poo in my car... she agreed. i still had to deal with the payment gal, and she pulled up all my paperwork (i've been a regular with memorial the past 6 months so there were no issues) then asked me to wait and i'd be called shortly. for what i inquired, "your blood draw" she replied. ahhhh, no more! the other gal chimed in that i was done, so they both agreed i could leave.

phew.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Today was my second day of work.....and I don't want a job anymore. :'(

I already have a work related injury and all I've done is data entry to this point. My freakin neck is sore from being hunched over a computer screen for 6 hours in a row. Today was mildly worse than the first day though becuase time went by so agonizingly slow. For about a solid 2 hours I would catch the time. Then I would type in a bunch of student data, stare outside the window, continue typing, look around my cubicle at stuff and wonder how I'm going to squeeze in the most amount of cat related work inspiration posters I could. Then I'd check the time. What felt like 10 minutes ended up being 2 maybe 3 at the most. Then I had lunch, which I brought with me. Amazingly that came and went in no time and then back to work where the sands don't even freakin move I hate you father time. I did get to leave 10 minutes early except I came in 10 minutes before my shift.

I suppose I should be happy that I don't answer phones, yet. I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and get to know the people better before I can ask to listen to talk radio or something. Luckily my cubicle is on the second floor right above the entrance of the building so I'm basically all by myself back there and the other student worker works opposite days than me. There's like one black dude who is like 10 feet away from me and a business teacher I had but she's only there an hour or two.

and taks. You're crazy and if by crazy you think I mean awesome, maybe a little bit.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

That picture of me is far too kind. I'm older now, and fatter.

Sluggo, the only way to beat menial work like data entry or mail sorting (and I should know, I used to do them both for years), is to race yourself or other people. Excellence is its own amusement. Time yourself, then the next day, get yourself a gatorade or what have you, and try again. Buy a stopwatch, buy a headband, buy little wrist weights. Buy a strobelight, listen to Vivaldi, experiment. However, it is vitally important that you stress that you are doing this for personal satisfaction, not for the business.

Oh, also, please post pics of your progress.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm paying $3.95 a day to send y'all this image from an RV park.

img0953dk5.th.jpg

That midget looks pretty shifty. I'd move him right along, if I were you.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

at work finishing in an hour and a half, then off to go be in a movie

i have the day off tomorrow too, and am probably gonna be doing some more shooting then too

also, this weekend i'm moving into my new flat >_<

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Sitting around this morning wondering what our average internet bandwidth usage might actually be, in light of the seeming new/upcoming trend of companies w/download limits. :lol:

Marveling at how it can feel chilly here in the morning, sometimes, and then by mid-afternoon be "ugh" hot. I like it...

Thinking that the WoW expansion may not be to my personal liking and for once Blizz won't be getting my money.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Been sick for 2 days - went to the doctor - who then send me to a "tropical doctor", because of my recent trip to India (I got a wierd mental image of visiting a Shaman in Downtown Copenhagen).

So now I can't work this week, because I need to get a bunch of tests done and what-not. I hate potentially exotic diseases.

I don't have any serious symptoms and the doctor told me it was probably just a bad flu - he just wanted to be on the safe side. So no need to worry (if you are inclined to worry about random people you only know through the internet). :lol:

Fortune favors the bald.

Hope it's nothing serious and just flu. Strange illness/symptoms are always disconcerting.

But glad the doctor wanted to play it safe...I like doctors like that. :lol:

Today I went out drinking with a friend. Tomorrow I shall be going out drinking with friends all night. On Wednesday I shall forego the usual act of sleeping to go out drinking again more than likely. All of it free.

Life is good.

Edited by Daaave

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

The wife and I are getting very close to agreeing to buy the house we've been looking at. It is frighteningly expensive-- we're essentially skipping the usual "starter home" step and taking advantage of the weak market and one large drawback this property has to get a much larger and nicer house than we would otherwise be able to afford in the community in question. Apart from that one drawback (it has a 10-story apartment building about 30 feet from the back fence, so there is little-to-no privacy in the backyard), it has everything we would need to stay in it for the next 10+ years, and is within walking distance (about 3/4ths of a mile) of the subway, which is a priority of ours.

We've already gone back and forth a few times with contract counter-offers, and the sellers have reached what they say is the lowest price they can offer. We (by which I mean "I"-- the wife is pretty convinced we should accept) are now trying to decide whether additional negotiating gamesmanship would get us a lower price without risking that we lose our chance. As usual with big decisions, the imminent prospect of home ownership has my wife very excited, and me very nervous. To top it off, my parents (who work in real estate in a much less expensive market and have a bit of sticker shock about what we're potentially paying) are very insistent that we should essentially be jerks in the negotiations, threatening to walk away and all that, to get the price 1-2% lower. (They're also probably a little worried that committing to such a big mortgage makes the prospect of grandchildren more distant.) I recognize the logic behind their arguments (except for that last one), but the risk seems larger to me than it does to them, and I really really hate to be "that guy."

The wife and I are getting very close to agreeing to buy the house we've been looking at. It is frighteningly expensive-- we're essentially skipping the usual "starter home" step and taking advantage of the weak market and one large drawback this property has to get a much larger and nicer house than we would otherwise be able to afford in the community in question. Apart from that one drawback (it has a 10-story apartment building about 30 feet from the back fence, so there is little-to-no privacy in the backyard), it has everything we would need to stay in it for the next 10+ years, and is within walking distance (about 3/4ths of a mile) of the subway, which is a priority of ours.

We've already gone back and forth a few times with contract counter-offers, and the sellers have reached what they say is the lowest price they can offer. We (by which I mean "I"-- the wife is pretty convinced we should accept) are now trying to decide whether additional negotiating gamesmanship would get us a lower price without risking that we lose our chance. As usual with big decisions, the imminent prospect of home ownership has my wife very excited, and me very nervous. To top it off, my parents (who work in real estate in a much less expensive market and have a bit of sticker shock about what we're potentially paying) are very insistent that we should essentially be jerks in the negotiations, threatening to walk away and all that, to get the price 1-2% lower. (They're also probably a little worried that committing to such a big mortgage makes the prospect of grandchildren more distant.) I recognize the logic behind their arguments (except for that last one), but the risk seems larger to me than it does to them, and I really really hate to be "that guy."

Do it. The market will recover, it always does, and then you'll be swimming in equity.

I'm hesitant to agree with hurlshot not knowing the amount of the mortgage or your credit rating and all that jazz but he's right. Some experts believe that we have hit or will soon hit the bottom in housing. The market will definitely come back in a couple of years but no where near where it was before all this crap went down so you will still likely have a bunch of equity once things turn around if this neighborhood is as affluent as you say.

As far as negotiating you definitely have to listen to your parents. My family is friends with the owner of a prominent real estate firm and the guy is nothing short of a jerk when dealing with outside parties. You have got to be firm and make it seem like you can walk away at any time. As messed up as it is if they are selling their home in this market they most likely can't afford their mortgage so they are probably desperate to get out of this thing. If you can't get the price down then try to get other incentives like making them pay the closing costs, home warranty, etc.

I definitely don't think you should buy a home that you aren't sure you can finance though. If the monthly mortgage is questionable I'm not sure I would do it. Something always comes up. Then again there's always things you can do to get by.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Guest The Architect

I turned 19 on Sunday.

at work finishing in an hour and a half, then off to go be in a movie

i have the day off tomorrow too, and am probably gonna be doing some more shooting then too

also, this weekend i'm moving into my new flat >_<

Gone from raping sheep to hunting them now have we? :thumbsup:

Edited by The Architect

Oh, we're pre-approved for a fixed-rate mortgage to cover the price that's on the table now, as well as enough saved to make a reasonable (10%-ish, depending on how high the closing costs end up) down payment. It just means that we're going to be paying a lot of money every month (more than double the rent we currently pay). Right now we have the piece of mind that, if something happens to one of our jobs, the other can cover the rent and other bills by themselves. That's going out the window with this move.

I totally sympathise. You want to get an extra couple of quid, but don't want to be an a-hole. If you recall I had the same issue, and applied the ruels from the book "getting to Yes without Giving in". It's only a few dollars, and quite available. Once you havea thinka bout it you may realise how much you can save by getting a quick resolution, and also getting a workable solution. For example, if you act like a jackass you may cause them to strip out furnishings or leave the place in a mess, or tell your soon to be neighbours you are a complete bastard. Honour can be a good policy.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, it is a concern because there is a home inspection provision in the contract. That is, once a price is agreed on, we hire a professional home inspector, he gives us a full report on the property, and we then have the right to back out of the contract if there's something we don't like. Often, when a home inspection reveals something unexpected, the buyers go back to the sellers and ask them to either fix it before closing, or knock the price back a bit to compensate. Being jerks at the negotiations stage would not be conducive to getting cooperation in addressing anything the home inspection turns up.

Sitting around this morning wondering what our average internet bandwidth usage might actually be, in light of the seeming new/upcoming trend of companies w/download limits. :)

Ive been wondering the same thing. My cable internet provider (Comcast) is instituting a 250GB per month cap before you have to pay extra. I play WoW quite a bit and am curious how much juice that game sucks. I looked at my bill last night and it doesnt detail my monthy usage, which makes sense seeing as how there has never been a limit before, but still. :thumbsup:

Thinking that the WoW expansion may not be to my personal liking and for once Blizz won't be getting my money.

You take that back! >_

What dont you like so far?

Yeah, it is a concern because there is a home inspection provision in the contract. That is, once a price is agreed on, we hire a professional home inspector, he gives us a full report on the property, and we then have the right to back out of the contract if there's something we don't like. Often, when a home inspection reveals something unexpected, the buyers go back to the sellers and ask them to either fix it before closing, or knock the price back a bit to compensate. Being jerks at the negotiations stage would not be conducive to getting cooperation in addressing anything the home inspection turns up.

I hadn't come across professional home inspectors. It's a great idea.

-Elwood Blues