Alpha Protocol: DRM?

Hi,

I was wondering if Obsidian has announced yet what DRM system/restrictions they're planning on shipping Alpha Protocol with?

I have unused gaming money to spend since Bioware/EA decided to infect their products with that 'SecuROM' malware , and Alpha Protocol looks really interesting. But I won't pay purchase prices for rental rights, so I'm interested to know what Obsidian's direction on DRM is before I get too interested in AP.

Ok then, I'll head over to Sega's forum and see if I can get an answer.

You might want to be prepared for a lot of interest in the issue though. After the Bioshock/Mass Effect debacles, DRM is increasingly becoming a make-or-break issue for many paying customers.

if anyone know sega stance on this do say so.

and i believe sega is good. they didn't had any draconic (mass effect style) drm up until now. and it will probably be available on steam for most of us too.

they didn't had any draconic (mass effect style) drm up until now. and it will probably be available on steam for most of us too.

I haven't played a Sega game since the Megadrive days, but it's good to hear they don't use overly restrictive copy protection systems.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well, I tried to go to Sega's forum but their account registration is messed up, and won't send the email to activate the account. I did what the admins suggested and sent them an email to register but they've STILL not got back to me. So, if anyone else already has an account on the Sega forums, and is interested, could they ask Sega about this?

Otherwise, I'll ask when/if they ever activate my account.

o:)

I haven't heard about Sega being paranoid (securing future assets) and implementing intrusive copy-protection (reclaim market-share) before. But i can be wrong though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ok then, I'll head over to Sega's forum and see if I can get an answer.

You might want to be prepared for a lot of interest in the issue though. After the Bioshock/Mass Effect debacles, DRM is increasingly becoming a make-or-break issue for many paying customers.

Yep 10 replies, lot of interest.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

yet another reaons why I prefer consoles. :D

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Name single other reason :shifty:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Big screen TV, reclining couch, gamepad designed for games, knowing that every game should run properly.

Big screen TV = Monitors have better resolutions AND you can attach your PC just fine to your TV Set. Heck, my friend even used holoprojector sometimes to feel badass in some games

reclining couch = has nothing to do with consoles. See also my friend who played PC with wireless keyboard from the couch

gamepad designed for games = with limited set of buttons and possibilites than keyboard and which sucks in FPS's and can barely do RTS's at all. Gamepad is good for some gametypes but overall it is major weakness

knowing that every game should run = yeah, stability. However if the game doesn't you're pretty much out of luck.

PC:

Better controls

Allows more complex games and GUI's

King of FPS gaming

King of multiplayer

King of RTS's.

Technologically superior

Downsides:

You must update stuff regularly

Every once in a while ****ty DRM (but these are NOT the norm)

Fighting games run sweeter on gamepad, but you know, you CAN attach Xbox controller just fine to your PC so this point is null too...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Holding a wireless keyboard and mouse on your lap while irradiating your nuts is not my idea of a good time. Also I disagree K/B is better for shooters, to me the controller gives a more realistic feeling of aiming and I can aim just fine, not to mention analog movement control and no WASD, yuch. The only one I agree with is strategy games, I do play those on the PC.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Some things are up to opinion but NOT THIS

Keyboard + mouse --> gamepad in FPS's.

K+M absolutely crushes gamepads. Those games featuring same multiplayer for console and PC players (IIRC Halo 2 did after it came out for PC) had to take special actions to counterbalance PC superiority

Also, consoles get ****ty area codes that are way worse than any DRM

Real gun is harder to aim than a mouse. Thus a real gun is inferior to the mouse. I have no problems aiming with the controller, and I enjoy using it more. The fact that pointing with the mouse is easier is irrelevant.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I have no problems aiming with the controller, and I enjoy using it more.

So you enjoy using a controller more than a mouse, that still does not make the controller a more effective piece of equipment. :bat:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

That's becauce what you're used to - back in 90's when I transitioned from console player to PC player I felt somewhat similar but really, if looking "objectively" PC control scheme disintegrates console FPS's.

Developers too acknowledge this, making console FPS combat easier and enemy reactivity slower and adding varying auto aims etc.

Edited by Xard

That's becauce what you're used to - back in 90's when I transitioned from console player to PC player I felt somewhat similar but really, if looking "objectively" PC control scheme disintegrates console FPS's.

Developers too acknowledge this, making console FPS combat easier and enemy reactivity slower and adding varying auto aims etc.

Not that most action and fighting games play pretty poorly on a PC. Any game that requires the controls to input gestures to execute actions don't work on PC. Tiger Uppercuts are really hard through WASD. In the same realm, games that requires lots of complex movements and timed presses are really better when a player has a limited amount of inputs to worry about, and probably better on a controller.

Games that want precision are easier with a mouse and keyboard.

This entire argument is pretty silly since PC's can now have a 360 contoller hooked up, and the 360 (and I think the PS3) have adapaters to support a mouse and keyboard.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Not that most action and fighting games play pretty poorly on a PC.

I disagree on action games, but you're certainly right on fighting games. They're the "console genre" if RTS's and wRPG's (well, latter used to be) are "PC genres"

A good shooter requires complex movement. Using the analog stick it feels like I myself am moving instead of typing on a keyboard. Aiming response for controllers is programmed differently than for mice, so that's not an issue either as I've said.