Foxconn deliberately sabotaging Linux on their boards

angshuman

Idiots. Here I was considering one of their mainboards for my next PC, but this project is now officialy dead. Did you know they were manufacturing Intel's mainboards too? Just an interesting bit when combined with your information. Thanks for sharing.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Definitely worth bringing up. Cheers. They can kiss my money goodbye.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Excellent, shooting your own foot. Excellent dollar, good dollar, they done their research.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Who the hell would buy a Foxconn board anyhow..?

Someone looking to put together something cheap that doesn't need high end components?

hehe, to which one must then note that needing something cheap necessarily implies the use of linux. hehe, maroons those foxconn folks are.

it would be interesting to hear from a legal type on this issue. i find it hard to imagine that there would be any anti-trust issue since linux is free. even companies such as red hat don't actually sell linux, they sell support for linux. seems like a definite grey area here.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, further reading into the thread discussion at slashdot has shed more light on this apparent slight by foxconn. it would seem that a more likely scenario is that ALL of the tables were screwed up from the bios provider and whomever had to adapt the bios to the foxconn board probably only went in to modify the winders versions. in other words, they likely did not sabotage linux compatibility explicityly, rather, only attempted to fix windows compatibility and did not attempt to fix linux compatibility. apparently the bios code is a huge pile of comedy gold (read: crap).

taks

LOL interesting! Thanks for the update, I had stopped following the thread after it was closed (temporarily?) by the admins. I guess this is a classic case of Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." :)

definitely... more appropriately in this case, laziness. they simply didn't care to attempt to fix the linux issues (which work out to a different problem than winders issues, btw, partly because of the way linux identifies itself). apparently some rep from foxconn said they intend to fix the problem.

taks

personally, i wouldn't ever buy something i know to be low-end anyway, which is what this board apparently is. generally i get highest-end mobos (since i burn them up faster than anything), high-end HDDs (next fastest burn rate as i recall), high-end mammaries and medium-high-end cpus. price is too volatile to buy highest-end cpu and highest-end is typically medium-high-end within a year anyway. the performance difference between highest-end mammaries and high-end mammaries is negligible, and their longevity is always sufficient to get me to my next rig anyway as long as i stay away from lower-end stuff. i can't actually recall ever killing any mammaries, TBH.

taks

taks, same here. I'm a tech freak, and not going to buy anything technologically behind time, or anything of cheap quality. Now Foxconn does not only have bad or low end motherboards, that's why a had an eye on them at all.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

oh i realize that... as big as they apparently are, they must have the full range (i did not realize they contracted for everyone else, for example). this board in particular was what i was referring specifically to. of course, i get a kick out of people that purchase a cheapie, trying to put together a budget system, then gripe because they got what they paid for. :bat:

taks