Aliens?

taks

stunning development... i hope it's not a hoax, i hope mitchell ain't demented or suffering from alzheimer's and i hope that today ain't april fool's day!

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001021,00.html

discuss!

i should point out that whether or not this is legit, this is one area of "paranormal" things that i have always thought of as possible, but completely unproved.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Besides, how exactly would the travelling be possible?

edit: I say the man should be grilled heavily to expose possible lapses of judgement and illogicalities that'll showcase he is lying

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I think it's mathematically quite unlikely that we are the only life in the universe, but why cover this up. Where is the gain, and more specifically, covering it up successfully through 5 decades, that seems unlikely.

Imagine what that would do to world order.

there's enough motivation

I say we start developing of lazer gunz and planetary energy shields, like, right now

I don't trust flimsy aliens

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Where is the gain, and more specifically, covering it up successfully through 5 decades, that seems unlikely.

Thats the sticking point with me too. It seems aliens only visit wackjobs and those in need of "scientific probing". If they wanted to be discovered they could just land on the White House front lawn. No denying it after that!

Where is the gain, and more specifically, covering it up successfully through 5 decades, that seems unlikely.

Thats the sticking point with me too. It seems aliens only visit wackjobs and those in need of "scientific probing". If they wanted to be discovered they could just land on the White House front lawn. No denying it after that!

Well, duh, they're not supposed to be discovered by us. They're following the prime directive!

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Tsk, tsk, you're giving us nerds a bad image. The Prime Directive clearly states that you can visit, just not interfere. :)

Yes, but according to Ender, that is an extremely species-ist attitude.

Elitist alien jerks!

:)

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

You guys don't take this seriously enough. We must think about how we're capable of advancing our gun technology in span of 10 years that would naturally take millenium

Mitchell has been saying this stuff for decades. The guys a bit of a nut. He tried running paranormal experiments with his friends on earth while he was in space and claims to have been remotely healed of cancer.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Besides, even John Lennon agrees! (that is very interesting btw)

We must take action. I suggest first we bribe aliens with pot and meanwhile mass our space armada

If there are aliens, great. If not, who cares. If they leave us alone then I will leave them alone.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Mitchell has been saying this stuff for decades. The guys a bit of a nut. He tried running paranormal experiments with his friends on earth while he was in space and claims to have been remotely healed of cancer.

Awesome.

If there are aliens, great. If not, who cares. If they leave us alone then I will leave them alone.

I say you're goverment agent

Edited by Xard

Edgar Mitchell - Wikipedia

Just because a guy is into paranormal studies doesn't mean he's delusional.

But his involvment in IONS (Institute of Noetic Sciences), INREES (Institute for Research on Extraordinary Experiences) might hurt his credibility.

He is Advisory Board Chairman of ICIS (Institute for Cooperation in Space), which also counted Arthur C. Clarke as one of it's members - it's an organisation against the development of weapons used in space. You would hate them Xard.

(I love the internet - it makes you seem so knowledgeable. :lol:)

-

On topic:

I was thinking about this today - and the prospect of aliens really scare me!

It's the classical case of fearing the unknown - but the size of the galaxy and universe just means that anything goes - there could be all kind of beings out there. And there's no reassurance that they'll be friendly.

I can only imagine what the natives of America must have felt when they saw the first ships. With no way of knowing what was coming. Not realizing the thousands upon thousands that would die because of it.

Fortune favors the bald.

i haven't followed the whole aliens thing closely enough the past decade or so to really keep up on the latest developments (other than the kewl shows on tv, which don't count as "following the story"). whether or not mitchell is reputable is, well, obviously debatable, but i hate discounting someone in one area simply because of his associations in another.

I think it's mathematically quite unlikely that we are the only life in the universe, but why cover this up. Where is the gain, and more specifically, covering it up successfully through 5 decades, that seems unlikely.

assuming such a possibility is true, there are lots of reasons. one, maybe they were told to by the aliens. perhaps they've "intervened" with other species in the past and immediate and full disclosure turned out badly. two, maybe the governments really are concerned that full disclosure could turn out badly. i'd call it a low likelihood that they're looking out for us, however, given my natural distrust of bureaucracies, hehe. i'm guessing something more sinister if it is not option #1. something x-filesish.

Besides, how exactly would the travelling be possible?

who knows. if mitchell is correct and our technology is that far behind theirs, it's hard to really say what they would know w.r.t. space travel. maybe wormholes are really possible. maybe faster than light travel is possible. maybe our entire concept of how the universe works, e.g., relativity, is flawed in ways we simply cannot comprehend (yet, if ever)?

of course, this is all moot if the original assumption is incorrect, i.e., that there are little grey dudes visiting us (or even in existence).

taks

Edited by taks

there could be all kind of beings out there. And there's no reassurance that they'll be friendly.

well, according to the article:

Chillingly, he claimed our technology is "not nearly as sophisticated" as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned "we would be (sic) been gone by now".

taks

I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who said that either there were aliens, or we were alone in the entirety of the universe. Either way it was pretty amazing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, consider his career in being an astronaut, this claim has more weigh to it than anything said by David Icke. But it is only words at this stage, which requires funnily enough, belief rather than the scientific method.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy