SW: MMORPG

So read this news on a different forum I visit and just had to pop back here and gloat (lol!) I told everyone a year ago when Bioware announced a undisclosed project it would be a MMORPG but I got shouted down by the so called "Smart Marks" of the forum at the time.

My turn to gloat (grins)

Ok, now that over with (heh), Im actually REALLY PUMPED about a KotOR MMORPG. Galaxies is a joke and is (and always was) basically Ultima Online with a Star Wars shell. I have to beleive Bioware will be a better job, even though it is their first MMORPG ever. The only thing that scared me is the possibility EA doesnt give them enough time to do it right.

BUT, I sure hope someone makes aKotOR 3 as well. Loved 1 and 2 so of course I will play 3 if its ever made. Just like I will for sure play Jade Empire 2 and Mass Effects 2-3. You dont pass on quality titles!

Things im looking forward to from the MMORPG:

1) Exploration.

Exploration has always been a important aspect of Bioware games and I have no doubt that it will remain so in a MMORPG. I hope they start like Galaxies with 10 or so planets and then unlike Galaxies add a new planet every year in the yearly expansion. Just think of all the possibilities. LOL, im giddy with excitement.

2) Jedi (and Sith)

As the game takes place in Old Republic, JEDI and SITH are active. I got so freaking bored to death in Galaxies with all the whines about how there should be no Jedi or Sith in the ANH time frame. This time frame allows Jedi and Sith so that should eliminate all the whiners from Galaxies.

3) The Sith Academy of Korriban and the temples behind it. OMG I CANT WAIT. KotOR just touched the surface of this planet and its endless adventure. Even though I normally play the hero I might make a sith just to experience this area. Again im giddy with excitement!

4) A new start.

Earlier this year I finally got tired of the backstabing and politics of my goodie guild and left and quit ALL MMORPGS. I swore I would not return to MMORPGs for any game other then a new KotOR Star Wars MMORPG. This is going to be exciting! For the last 16 years have lead a goodie guild and all the head aches that come with that never truely playing and doing whats best for me personally. Now I get to find a new guild, make new online freinds (cause my old ones disowned me for quiting guild...LOL good freinds huh?).

Im actually excited, a new begining in a new game for me. I get to make new contacts that are for me not guild. No more spending endless hours in meetings and crap for a bunch of selfish people that never give back (not all to be fair but some, more then should have been). No more helping someone level 3 different characters in game after game after game only to see them/her refuse to help anyone else when asked.

hehehe, I get to be a hero under my own terms. I cant wait :dancing:

What I dont wanna see:

1) Wow clone. I really hope KotOR MMORPG is more alike their Xbox game then just taking ideas from WOW. I know WOW is popular and has a huge subscriber list but that doesnt make it the best game on the market, just the most popular.

What I am hoping for is a nice balance between grouping and solo play, very indepth influence system (you should be rewarded for doing good or bad deeds), and a challenge (you shouldnt max out in 3 days... maybe 3 months but not 3 days).

2) Children.

I hope the game is designed for adults, 18 and older. To many games (WOW specifically) dumb themselves down to attract the lowest common denominator online. I hope KotOR MMORPG is better then that. Let WOW have the dredges of society, I want my SW game to be smart and appealing.

Anyways, thats my preliminary lists, Ill add more later.

So how about anyone else? Looking forward to this and why? Not looking forward and why?

Lets have a discussion that doesnt get locked down.

If it's on the XBox360, and there is no additional subscription price (other than to be a Gold member of XBox Live), then I'll certainly give the game a go. But I simply can't see myself dishing out for a monthly fee, unless the game gets the greatest reviews ever by numerous individuals whose opinion I respect.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If it's on the XBox360, and there is no additional subscription price (other than to be a Gold member of XBox Live), then I'll certainly give the game a go. But I simply can't see myself dishing out for a monthly fee, unless the game gets the greatest reviews ever by numerous individuals whose opinion I respect.
Yes you will. Don't lie. Everyone who played K1/K2 will at least try it out of curiosity.

Yes you will. Don't lie. Everyone who played K1/K2 will at least try it out of curiosity.

Not if it costs a monthly fee and gets poor reviews.

I've never tried SW Galaxies, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I refused to pay monthly fees for it.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

K3 MMO = Star Wars Galaxies

FAIL

Yup. Except I WANT TO KILL EWOKS AS REVAN!!! :down:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Don't lie. Everyone who played K1/K2 will at least try it out of curiosity.

That is just so untrue. I've never been attracted to MMOs, even free ones like Runescape.

If a KotOR MMO costs a monthly fee on top of the price of the game, then there is no possibility I'll try it. None.

And even if it has unrestricted free online play - which I sincerely doubt will be the case - then it's still astronomically unlikely I'll ever even try it, let alone pay for the game. MMOs simply don't attract me. I agree with GhostofAnakin that the game would then still have to get impossibly good reviews for me to even consider it.

C'mon. Bioware doesn't make bad games.

Every developer makes bad games sooner or later. It's only a question of time and money.

Besides, why should I have faith that Bioware can make an MMO that I'll like when nobody else has been able to? I liked K1, but frankly TSL would have been a far better game if LA hadn't pushed the deadline. I certainly liked TSL's plot a lot more, so "returning" KotOR to Bioware does not have THAT much appeal.

I'd rather just get K3 than an MMO as well, but I'll still give it a try, and you know you all will too.

See Deadly_Nightshade's response above, which it now falls upon me to wholeheartedly agree with... :down:

C'mon. Bioware doesn't make bad games.

Every developer makes bad games sooner or later. It's only a question of time and money.

Besides, why should I have faith that Bioware can make an MMO that I'll like when nobody else has been able to? I liked K1, but frankly TSL would have been a far better game if LA hadn't pushed the deadline. I certainly liked TSL's plot a lot more, so "returning" KotOR to Bioware does not have THAT much appeal.

In a lot of ways I prefer K2's overall storyline as well, but Bioware has a solid track record, and K1 was still an amazing game. They won't make a crappy MMO.

See Deadly_Nightshade's response above, which it now falls upon me to wholeheartedly agree with... :down:
You'll try it, why lie about it? Everyone on this board will. Trust me, once the hype starts building everyone will get on board.

Jedophile, he's just trolling, trying to bait you into responding to each post he makes. I'd suggest ignoring him.
Are you serious?... I'm trolling by saying the MMO might be decent? Good point there, you're really smart. :down:

It's silly to think people won't give an MMO sequel to a former GotY title a chance. The MMO won't flop.

Jedophile, he's just trolling, trying to bait you into responding to each post he makes. I'd suggest ignoring him.
Are you serious?... I'm trolling by saying the MMO might be decent? Good point there, you're really smart. :)

It's silly to think people won't give an MMO sequel to a former GotY title a chance. The MMO won't flop.

I'm saying you're trolling because you keep insisting that we're "lying" when we say we're not interested in playing the MMO, for our own given reasons, and keep on insisting we will play it.

Are you serious?... I'm trolling by saying the MMO might be decent? Good point there, you're really smart. :)

I'm saying you're trolling because you keep insisting that we're "lying" when we say we're not interested in playing the MMO, for our own given reasons, and keep on insisting we will play it.

Please take your own advice. I already did, and it helped too. :lol:

Haha look I really don't care if you play it or not, I'm just being realistic here. You mean to tell me you wouldn't even consider giving the game a tryout before condemning it? Given everything the Kotor series has done so far? That would be your loss IMO.

I know this is a sensitive subject, but let's keep the arguments constructive.

-

Personally I'm really against this, I'm playing AoC, but I don't like to see the KOTOR series turned into an mmo. I'd rather it stayed as an RPG - much rather!

Fortune favors the bald.

Personally I'm really against this, I'm playing AoC, but I don't like to see the KOTOR series turned into an mmo. I'd rather it stayed as an RPG - much rather!

I would too tbh. I'd really like to see Revan and the Exile's stories play out. :)

Still, the idea of a Star Wars MMO is intriguing to me. I played WoW for ~2.5 years and overall enjoyed it before the expansion. A well made SW one could be a lot of fun, and the KOTOR era (especially pre K1) would be the richest point in SW lore to place it, since there are so many Jedi/Sith around.

Everyone who played K1/K2 will at least try it out of curiosity.

Bull****. :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself :).

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

...but I'll still give it a try, and you know you all will too.

What?! Cannot you read? I said your posting about me playing this game no matter what was complete and udder bull**** and chips. :lol:

It's silly to think people won't give an MMO sequel to a former GotY title a chance.

Yeah, because the MMO is going to be as good as the other two games - come on, we both know that's total crap. o:)

You mean to tell me you wouldn't even consider giving the game a tryout before condemning it? Given everything the Kotor series has done so far?

Yep, I loath MMOs and would be loath to play, let alone pay for one every month. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

...but I'll still give it a try, and you know you all will too.

What?! Cannot you read? I said your posting about me playing this game no matter what was complete and udder bull**** and chips. :lol:

Ok...

Yeah, because the MMO is going to be as good as the other two games - come on, we both know that's total crap. o:)
It could turn out to be very good. We have absolutely zero information about it thus far. What makes you so certain it will be terrible?

Yep, I loath MMOs and would be loath to play, let alone pay for one every month. :)
I don't work for Bioware, it's no skin off my back whether you play or not. However judging something you know absolutely nothing about makes you look incredibly narrow minded. Again, your loss.

It could turn out to be very good. We have absolutely zero information about it thus far. What makes you so certain it will be terrible?

MMOs, as many people have already pointed out in various threads, are primarily designed to keep people playing -id est, they grind and grind and grind-, so it highly unlikely that a plot like that found in either of the original games could be made without it feeling shallow and forced. That aside, the very fact that it is an MMO means that it will, in all likelihood, be targeting that audience and not the one that bought the other two games - something else that is a strike against it. Of course, there is more points i could bring up, but that should be enough for now. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Welp gotta say I think alot of you putting the cart way before the horse on this topic.

Of course the MMORPG is going to have a monthly rate, thats a given from where im standing but that doesnt make it bad (well depending on the monthly rate of course).

Bioware has aproven track record of creating very indepth quests/missions so I TOTALLY EXPECT them to continue with that level of story telling in their MMORPG.

I think Bioware can make a great MMORPG if EA gives them the time needed to make it properly. Plus being in the KotOR setting is just a huge bonus.

Totally dont think this project is KotOR3 though for couple reasons. First and formost, KotOR was never advertised as a trilogy. The games open endings make it feel like one but LA never actually came out and said its a Trilogy like Bioware has done for Mass Effects. 2nd off, the Revan Storyline would be to restrictive as a global mission for a MMORPG.

I could see fighting against Revan or going on a quest to find him but there is some much else to the setting.

KotOR is not 100% about Revan. There is so much more to the time period and setting then just Revan.

Honestly I wouldnt mind at all if they just left Revan outta the game all togather and focused on the KotOR setting rather then whats been told in offline games.

Anyways, as I said, im just giddy with excitement over this prodject, I cant wait (well I can).

Going to come back to online gaming refreshed and with new level of excitement and cant wait to play a jedi and a sith and explore all there will be to both characters.

PS: If they allow creature Handlers to the game I quit before it even starts! Leave UO classes in UO!