The Beer Thread

Monte Carlo

I love beer and am drinking beer right now. ANd I would like you all to know, I love you all. <3

And we love you right back, beer pixie.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Local beer is always interesting - try if you can find a local brewery around you and see what they have available.

For the enviromentaly oriented beer drinker, the Danish "Thy Classic" (organic beer) is really amazing. I don't know if it's available outside of DK, but if it is you should really try it. A good solid beer, with a great taste. Probably horribly expensive for most people though.

Good idea actually. I'm going to look into getting maybe a brewery tour going with some of the local friends. That would be really cool to do and I'm sure there are some quality micros around here.

Ok, I've really enjoyed Hoegaarden. I've had about 4 tonight and it's going quite well.

Heh, nice to hear.. Belgium makes good beer, so does the Chezch Republic - in fact I think the best beer in the world is from there.. I don't remember any of the beers names (obviously) - but fully recommend travelling to Prague and tasting the local brew.

Fortune favors the bald.

fosters

big cans of fosters

that and morrowind got me through 3 of the 4 years i spent in the marines.

( just to show how much i liked it .... had to ask how to spell marines )

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell

Fosters: Australian for "Yes, we can get the Americans to drink our piss."

:)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

fosters

big cans of fosters

...And presumably in the last year you discovered a decent beer?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like finnish beers, as bland as they are. My favourite is probably Olvi, with Kukko a close second. I'm not too familiar with foreign beers, but I have enjoyed German and Belgian beers in the past. Beer is probably the only alcoholic beverage I drink, with most wines being off limits for a vegan.

Hey, not our problem if Yanks like kangaroo piss, is it?

Oh, for sure. I like Tooheys, if we're talking Oz beer. Although it's VERY malty.

-Elwood Blues

Being from a Beer nation I have to mention Carlsberg and Tuborg.. Although they really aren't that great.

Some of the better beer available here are

hoegaarden.gif - Hoegaarden - a beer from Belgium, it's a Wiessbeer. It has a long history and was first made in the 15th century.

Being from Belgium I have to mention that this might be the worst Belgian beer.

If you want good Belgian beer, try out Duvel and Leffe (there's actually 5 different kinds of Leffe, Radieuze being my personal all-time favorite beer).

duvel.jpgLeffeRadieuse.jpg

Not officially categorized under 'beer' (we call them 'trappist') are Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle and Westvleteren (the last one was voted best beer in the world a few years ago).

ChimayB.gifbieren_orval.jpgrochefort10.jpgbier_westmalle.jpgwestvleteren3.jpg

Any of these will make you wish you lived in Belgium.

Edited by Pope

If the alcohol content rises above a certain level then the yeast dies. I don't actually agree with veganism, but points for effort.

-Elwood Blues

If the alcohol content rises above a certain level then the yeast dies. I don't actually agree with veganism, but points for effort.

Seriously?

Yeast is a fungus, does that roll it into the animal kingdom? A vegan couldnt eat a mushroom either?

Hey, pal, they lost me at not punching monkeys.

-Elwood Blues

fosters

big cans of fosters

...And presumably in the last year you discovered a decent beer?

actually .... that was 5 years ago come october, and no i really havent.

but then after i got out i found that after spending years trying to drink my problems away, i no longer had that big of a urge to get drunk. i go through a case o beer in about a month now, not an hour.

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell

i found that after spending years trying to drink my problems away, i no longer had that big of a urge to get drunk. i go through a case o beer in about a month now, not an hour.

i'm so sorry, and a bit envious. i probably couldn't drink a case of beer in a month, probably not even a year, any more. i wish i could. to that i am envious. that you no longer feel the urge to get drunk is a shame. to that i am sorry. :bat:

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Wine contains "fining agents." These clear the wine, i.e. cause stuff to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Once upon a time animal blood was used as a fining agent, but nowadays a lot of the fining agents use animal by-products such as gelatine. Bentonite, an American innovation, is a clay-based alternative.

Most wine (at least 75%) is suitable for vegetarians but a lot of it isn't for vegans. You can get vegan wine, but it's obviously tricky to source. I've never tried any, but technically there are few reasons why a vegan wine shouldn't taste OK.

Beer, OTOH is simply water, hops, barley and sugar (etc). Vegans can love beer. If I couldn't eat meat then drinking lots of beer would have to suffice!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh, this week's beer has been more Golden Glory, Greene King IPA, Stella Artois and (yes) Tuborg. It's been very hot here, so perfect beer drinking weather (although of course it dehydrates you!).

sonsofgygax.JPG

Wine contains "fining agents." These clear the wine, i.e. cause stuff to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Once upon a time animal blood was used as a fining agent, but nowadays a lot of the fining agents use animal by-products such as gelatine. Bentonite, an American innovation, is a clay-based alternative.

Most wine (at least 75%) is suitable for vegetarians but a lot of it isn't for vegans. You can get vegan wine, but it's obviously tricky to source. I've never tried any, but technically there are few reasons why a vegan wine shouldn't taste OK.

Beer, OTOH is simply water, hops, barley and sugar (etc). Vegans can love beer. If I couldn't eat meat then drinking lots of beer would have to suffice!

Cheers

MC

I see, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I definitely agree that it's bad to try and drink your problems away. I'm doing a fair of that myself at present. BUt it is at least partly sociable. I'm not drinking on my own.

-Elwood Blues