Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir Discussion

I find it amusing that many people who hate RPG "micro-management" also love crafting.

Which is strange, because crafting is easily one of the fiddliest, most micro-managerial and annoying aspect of CRPGs.

"Oooh, I've collected three rubies and the Golden Doo-Dah of power. All I have to do is cast three spells on it and I get an item I COULD HAVE BOUGHT FROM A MERCHANT AND SAVED ALL THIS RUNNING ABOUT."

I really liked Weimer's Item Upgrade mod. Find stuff. Give it to the Dwarf. Pay him. Bingo! Cool magic item.

I struggle with crafting. My heart literally sank when my first NPC in Mask of the Betrayer started explaining about alembics and crafting sacks and essences. If it was BG2 I'd have insta-chunked her with a 120hp backstab and moved onto a less annoying NPC, except of course it was MotB and everybody was trying to go all Planescape on me.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: Just now and then I want a half-orc barbarian NPC called Xarg who is a 400 hp meat-shield and has interactions that seldom go beyond "Ug! Xarg smash! Xarg kill!" Not a witty bloke with blue hair who looks like he was auditioning for Duran Duran.

Thanks.

::sigh::

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

You just wish you were as cool as a Duran Duran auditioner.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

New demo video: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinter...ml?sid=6196650#

Does give away some things about how the game will start off, so don't watch it if you want to go in completely fresh. Otherwise, it showcases the party creation stuff, the party conversation screen, the overland map and a new tileset (and Yuan-Ti).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

version 4 sounds bad

Have'nt seen version 4 yet. But from these posts, its sounds like it was designed by game designers who didnt talk out the changes with the public too much, before writing em in stone. Gnome were out eh? Hmm.

How 'bout the spell durations? Are they making em even shorter? * cringe*

Edited by Ross_Witchen

...lolwut

NWN2 has nothing to do with 4E

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Thankfully its not 4E.

Crafting, I never had any use for it.

Here's hoping that SoZ is as good as MotB was.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

well, that's your failure and not that masterpiece for a game :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Well, there is Zehir. He's 4e. Beyond that, you are correct Xard.

does we genuine know that? sure, we expect that the rules will be 3.5e for most part, but if you got a 4e god smack-dab in title o' game, perhaps story and setting will have more 4e relevance than some suggest.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

IIRC Zehir is not even a 4ED Faerun diety. Which is also quite interesting.

zehir is 4e fr god o' poison. a bunch o' gods get purged from 4e fr, but am not understanding why some handful were added. not have the 4e fr book, so...

well, at least they got rid of the egyptian gods. that alone makes changes worthwhile.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Here's hoping that it's better. MotB kinda bored me a little.

Yeah, I got bored with all the pointless repetitive fights and assignments you have to run for everybody. I've never seen that before. Haven't got to the masterpiece part yet.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Here's hoping that it's better. MotB kinda bored me a little.

Yeah, I got bored with all the pointless repetitive fights and assignments you have to run for everybody. I've never seen that before. Haven't got to the masterpiece part yet.

:aiee:

That same criticism applies to all Troika games, PS:T, NWN's, Fallouts and BG's. Congratz

That interview is awesome

edit:

Rob McGinnis: Storm of Zehir was quite heavily influenced by community feedback. Everything from the ability to create your own party to increasing the difficulty of combat and improving the AI were all done based on the reactions and input we have received since releasing Neverwinter Nights 2.

High five guys! :)

edit2:

Jonric: To wrap up the interview in our usual open-ended manner, is there anything else you would like to tell our readers at this time?

Tony Evans: We hope (and pray and beg and plead) that our fans will appreciate all the cool new stuff we are adding, and that they will love Storm of Zehir despite its lack of a way for certain people to live out their fantasy of having a bi-curious affair with a strange-looking humanoid with tentacles for hair. However, they could try creating a Water Genasi character with high Charisma for their party, and see what happens in the game...

One other thing... in case no one else has noticed, I wanted to point out that the acronym for our game is SOZ, which means sorry in net slang. We are apologizing in advance for any impact our addictive game may have on your social life. Please play responsibly!

No snakes or dinosaurs were harmed in the making of Storm of Zehir, but you will have plenty of opportunities to damage them yourselves this winter.

lol

Well, let's see how can I fit Water Genasi to my party...

Edited by Xard

awesome? which parts were awesome? seemed likes a pretty standard 3-page text-heavy commercial advertisement kinda interview. it were a nice enough advertisement, but am not sure we is gonna hold up as an "awesome" example o' interview.

maybe we shows age again. am forgetting how pretty much everything is "awesome" or "extreme" nowadays.

HA! Good Fun!

you know, I wrote that part before actually reading the interview just so my original post wasn't so clearly off-topic :aiee:

still, it contained new info and stab at romance whiners in the end alone makes it awesome

you know, I wrote that part before actually reading the interview just so my original post wasn't so clearly off-topic :aiee:

still, it contained new info and stab at romance whiners in the end alone makes it awesome

fair enough. your response was awesome.

HA! Good Fun!

and you didn't read it!

Ha! R00fles!

eh? we read the awesome interview and your awesome response.... which was extremely awesome.

*shrug*

in any event, Gromnir thinks that soz will be awesome... to the extreme.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

not enough EPIC there Gromnir

Justin Reynard: We've added many new heritage-type feats. These are unique as they represent your character's lineage and are initially selected at level 1. Then, as you progress, you can choose more in the progression, with their strengths directly related to how many of these feats you have.

I wonder how these are going to work. Simple +2 to strenght and funny anecdote? Or something more like example they gave from Party Benefits?

Tony Evans: We hope (and pray and beg and plead) that our fans will appreciate all the cool new stuff we are adding, and that they will love Storm of Zehir despite its lack of a way for certain people to live out their fantasy of having a bi-curious affair with a strange-looking humanoid with tentacles for hair.

Tony, fear not. I love it already and I haven't even played it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

despite its lack of a way for certain people to live out their fantasy of having a bi-curious affair with a strange-looking humanoid with tentacles for hair.

Hah! Like you can stop us. >_<

However, they could try creating a Water Genasi character with high Charisma for their party, and see what happens in the game...

Suggestion noted. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)