If you just became a Star Wars Author, what would you write about?

But I would take an approach of looking at the history and nature of The Force and it's effect on Galactic history. From the perspective of a scholar looking for evidence on what The Force actually is, while of course being blind to it. It would be like a history book of the Star Wars universe and the mythology of Jedi/Sith, seen from the historical point of view.

Meh. First of all, the very black and white aspect of Star Wars is one of its strengths. Yes, it may seem overly simplified and forced, and it even is IMHO, but it's still the charm of the plots and the setting.

As for what the Force really is, I honestly don't think we should know, because it would ruin the mystery - never did Lucas harm Star Wars as much as when he introduced midi-chlorians, because it takes away from the mystery of the force, and that's a bit sad, just as it would be a bit sad to uncover the truth of the Loch Ness monster or the Bermuda Triangle, and just as Nihilus would be a lot less scarier and interesting if we knew all about his backstory in TSL.

Or to quote Stephen King in a recent article:

"... nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear."

We need that scary stuff, because if you explain the force, then you unmask the dark side. And we need to keep the dark side as something we're supposed to fear.

Quite obviously I wouldn't be able to explain what the force is, since no one knows for sure.

Most crime books solve the crime, but never crime in general. So while I'm sure my character would learn a thing or two about The Force he could never discover the entirety of it - although that would be his goal.

-Spoiler-

And KOTOR 2 was about the nature of the people using The Force moreso than the nature of The Force itself imo. Darth Traya was trying to destroy it to get rid of it's influence on the universe, not discover what it was. She believed that everyone was weaker because of The Force's presence and hold. Believing it was a kind of deux ex machina for the Jedi and Sith and subsequently bereaved them of any real power.

-Spoiler-

Fortune favors the bald.

First of all, the very black and white aspect of Star Wars is one of its strengths. Yes, it may seem overly simplified and forced, and it even is IMHO, but it's still the charm of the plots and the setting.

I disagree, if anything the "black and white aspect" of Star Wars is driving me away from the franchise. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The black and white aspect is star wars. Without its just star trek with wizards.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Wasn't the entire run of both the Young Jedi Knights and the Junior Jedi Knights about that?

Since I've neither seen or heard of either of those before - not surprising in my case, heh - I wouldn't know.

And everything has been "done before" - but you can always do it better. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And everything has been "done before" - but you can always do it better. :ermm:

Or in the majority of cases, worse.

I have to admire your optimism, though. After all the rehashed stuff that the EU has been making even worse time and time again, Ive grown pretty pessimistic about the whole deal altogether.

The only things of EU that interest me now are KOTOR(Both the games and the comics) and the Legacy comics, though the bad art on the KOTOR comics really isn't helping...

Edited by jodo kast 5

holy spacemonkeys, it's Jodo!

*waves*

i've been lazy and still haven't gotten around to writing the force sensitive bantha story

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

And everything has been "done before" - but you can always do it better. :ermm:

I have to admire your optimism, though. After all the rehashed stuff that the EU has been making even worse time and time again, Ive grown pretty pessimistic about the whole deal altogether.

The only things of EU that interest me now are KOTOR(Both the games and the comics) and the Legacy comics, though the bad art on the KOTOR comics really isn't helping...

Agree about the usually worse trend. :lol:

And I try to be optimistic about everything, because now and then rehash/sequel can end up being as good, and even more rarely, better, than previous attempts...yet I'm not so optimistic where I'll rush out and buy - I have friends/reviewers be the guinea pigs before I spend my money on it. *wink

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

holy spacemonkeys, it's Jodo!

*waves*

Hey Shryke,

What's up, man? I haven't seen you around for awhile now. Glad you're back aswell. :thumbsup:

And everything has been "done before" - but you can always do it better. :)

And I try to be optimistic about everything, because now and then rehash/sequel can end up being as good, and even more rarely, better, than previous attempts...yet I'm not so optimistic where I'll rush out and buy - I have friends/reviewers be the guinea pigs before I spend my money on it. *wink

True. There are a few sequels that end up being better than the originals(IE: The Dark Knight, Empire Strikes Back, etc..), and I pretty much have the same deal aswell. I check and see if it's any good or worth buying, if I find out it isn't, I skip it altogether. Saves money aswell as trouble, from my experience. :huh: Edited by jodo kast 5

The life and death (mostly death) of Jar Jar Binks.

I would pay to read this.

i dunno

no matter how inventive and visceral, it still wouldn't be satisfying enough

i want that thing to suffer - hard >_<

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I would write stories set in the KotOR era. That era is more interesting to me. There is only so much one can endure reading something about Luke or Han and Lea's disturbed and confusing children.

Agree on the Luke/Han/Leia part.

I might wind the clocks back a bit and right about the unification wars. Who knows.

I wonder what happens when George Lucas dies. Does a family member become the owner of Lucas Arts and do the stories still get written or is it all discontinued?

Agree on the Luke/Han/Leia part. - I also agree.

I might wind the clocks back a bit and right about the unification wars. Who knows. - Good idea also. I might pick another era.

I wonder what happens when George Lucas dies. Does a family member become the owner of Lucas Arts and do the stories still get written or is it all discontinued? - I am sure that there are a lot of people wondering about that very same thing. You might want to start a new topic on this subject to see what might come from it?

"DEID, YASUF'VEAJI OAN SITH'ARI, MOEQ ESSOA ZARUXISAS KA ESSOA QAKO. AGIAS TOUNDIA SOUM'INOTI DARTH... SCYREUS

If I remember correctly from what I've read, if Lucas dies, it all dies with him.

Also, I do alot of forum roleplaying so i actually have a Star Wars based character i'm working on

Its obvious what i'd write about htough if anyone here knew me that is XD

Mandalorians, balance(not good not dark, balance like Revan) and the Taung(the orignal mandalorian species) oh yea I htink a force senstivie mandalore(taung even) leading the Mandalorians back to former status in the galaxy would be epic =P

If I remember correctly from what I've read, if Lucas dies, it all dies with him.

Also, I do alot of forum roleplaying so i actually have a Star Wars based character i'm working on

Mandalorians, balance(not good not dark, balance like Revan) and the Taung(the orignal mandalorian species) oh yea I htink a force senstivie mandalore(taung even) leading the Mandalorians back to former status in the galaxy would be epic =P

I can't really see that being true. Star Wars is going to keep making money after he's gone and that money will have to go somewhere. Wherever it goes, that entity will have the rights to control future Star Wars projects. He might make it his wishes that nothing else is made, but I doubt that would be honored for very long. Now, if he says "no more in the movie era" then I think we can all wholeheartedly agree....

please... no more in the movie era... please...

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I can't really see that being true. Star Wars is going to keep making money after he's gone and that money will have to go somewhere. Wherever it goes, that entity will have the rights to control future Star Wars projects. He might make it his wishes that nothing else is made, but I doubt that would be honored for very long. Now, if he says "no more in the movie era" then I think we can all wholeheartedly agree....

please... no more in the movie era... please...

Either way we all win. Pass it on and we keep getting Star Wars. Lock it down and we open the door for great artists around the world to continue and you would just read what you liked.

"DEID, YASUF'VEAJI OAN SITH'ARI, MOEQ ESSOA ZARUXISAS KA ESSOA QAKO. AGIAS TOUNDIA SOUM'INOTI DARTH... SCYREUS

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

First post - I'm not really a forum posting guy, but KOTOR 2 has so utterly emotionally and intellectually inspired me I HAD to post, and the KOTOR III post is scary and a bit silly. What would I write if I were a Star Wars Author?

My story would start in a lovely lush world (similar to a glorified Dantooine) where our character starts their life in a small village on an essentially dead planet: Most of the lands are covered in the 'echoes' of the force, essentially physical emanations of ghosts of force echoes - a planet which picks up echoes in the force from force sensitives deaths and presents these people as sketches of their personalities in their final moments. this has made the planet a dead world- in constant turmoil and battle and the forces of dead Jedi and Sith eternally wage wars.

You are shunned and outcast from your village because you are a force sensitive - a 'demon' like the foul forces who slaughter their phantom enemies, killing the few stranded survivors on the dead world who cling to life. Surviving through luck and strength of will without the defense of his/her family and the village she meets in a cave (entered to try to escape the mad phantoms batting on the surface), he/she (he for simplicity) meets phantom Kreia, who wishes to teach her 'final student'. Long story short you are able to escape the world, only to meet up by chance with the exile and Revan in the heart of the Sith Empire.

They are building a new order who no longer regards the Sith or the Jedi as sensible religions, essentially becoming 'gray' Jedi. Revan is the 'heart of the force', the exile is the 'death of the force' and you are the 'meaning of the force' the physical embodiment of a vast destiny which concludes with your choices, which no longer essentially are based on the limited and pathetic vast opposites of the light and dark side of the force, adventuring in dangerous territories to stop the complete annihilation of the galaxy by the end of the force by either the Sith or (SHOCK the rebuilding of the Jedi order by master Vandar back from the dead) and trying to find reason for the existence of the galaxy and the force. The end of the story therefore concludes with you finding a meaning for the force ever existing at all.

This in my opinion would be a reasonably fitting solution to the KOTOR trilogy - not a great one but ok. However, knowing Bioware they will probably just chuck in another ultimate Revan character and a dull romance story and some ordinary dialogue ending in the death of some random Sith lord or two. I'm sorry Bioware fans, but to me Bioware seems to just have perfected the conventional story arcs, much like George Lucas' idiotic idea that there are only 7 types of stories.

-Kariwm