If you just became a Star Wars Author, what would you write about?

I would prefer reading about the common citizen more than I would about anyone with the last name of "Skywalker"

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Ah ok. They haven't stopped with the legacy books have they? I guess the biggest problem I have with it is that... well... the Sith order won lol. They are ruling hte galaxy and I'm (I admit) a Jedi/Light Side fanboy.

As am I (though I suppose that's a given considering my chosen screenname). Legacy is a comic book published monthy by Dark Horse. The sith haven't won, exactly, though. The nice thing about Legacy is that there are more than two factions - the Republic and Jedi, the remnant of the Empire (yes, even 120+ years after its fall), and the Sith

And are these comic books common? (Comic books based around the KOTOR timeline) I'd love to go pick up like 10 copies. :D Can I find them in most modern comic book stores?

Sure they are. Dark Horse currently has four Star Wars titles published monthly, two of which are in the movies era (Dark Times is set just after Episode III and Rebellion between Episodes IV and V). Legacy is set around 120 years after Episode VI with all new characters.

The Knights of the Old Republic comic book is set 3964 BBY, which is about eight years before the events of KotOR1 and during the Mandalorian Wars.

The book follows the jedi student Zayne Carrick and does in some ways serve to chronicle the events of the Mandalorians Wars, though mostly by reference as it has its entirely own plot to follow. Zayne frequently finds himself in hotspots of the war, though, such as the battles of Vanquo and Serocco, and the Mandalorian invasion of Taris. Both Revan and Malak have appeared, though not under those names, which has led to criticism from some KotOR fans. Personally, I've liked the books, though, and don't see why people are upset by how Revan and Malak are portrayed in them. If anything, the books have to a far greater degree been held back by sometimes dire art, as the number of artists working on the book has varied too much for it to find its own tone yet IMHO.

So far about one year of events have transpired and it seems to be reaching the point where Revan and Malak will split the jedi order. Issue 31 is about to be published soon. I'm sure you can pick the books up in most comic book stores, but if you don't know these books and are interested, I recommend you begin from the start. Fortunately the earlier books have already been collected in paperbacks as the various arcs have been finished. Volume I, collecting issues 0-6, is called "Commencement"". It's not a continued story (except with regards to the overall plot of the series itself), so you can stop there if it doesn't appeal to you. I still collect this title and have all the issues myself, though.

BTW I still think there are some unexplored regions of space. I know that Darth Sidious ordered the exploration of a lot of unknown space though.. (IIRC thats how he met Grand Admiral Thrawn.... maybe). But who knows. This galaxy is full of so much crap we can never be completely sure whats going to happen. lol.

Sure there is more unexplored space in Star Wars. But not as much as there once was. The "Unknown Regions" of the KotOR era would not be the same as they are in Palpatine's time.

Actually, I think I'd write about Revan in unknown space. Hmm...

Revan took a wrong turn and landed outside of the galaxy, in Dark Space, He was allergic to seafood.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Revan took a wrong turn and landed outside of the galaxy, in Dark Space, He was allergic to seafood.

Heh... Post-traumatic stress of the events of manaan? Didn't know that huge firazan shark was called Sovereign.... :) And this engages with the theory of Trask being sucked by a wormhole and left in the Citadel...

Edited by esabria

If they lie to me once, they're to blame. If they lie to me twice, it is me to blame. If they lie to me a third time, I'm stupid enough to be lied a fourth time.

Heh... Post-traumatic stress of the events of manaan? Didn't know that huge firazan shark was called Sovereign.... :) And this engages with the theory of Trask being sucked by a wormhole and left in the Citadel...

:)... I always wanted to blow him up for waking Revan... and it explains how Carth and Kaidan are the same person. :lol:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I would write about an average joe from Nar Shadda trying to survive a Hutt bounty during the KotOR era, who finds a way to reprogram a HK-50 to protect his sorry ass.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

:)... I always wanted to blow him up for waking Revan... and it explains how Carth and Kaidan are the same person. :lol:

Carth is waaay more interesting than Kaidan. But at least Kaidan didn't announce his possible affection for you in front of the entire crew and then never mention it again...

Seriously, game companies need to employ females to write romance lines.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Carth is waaay more interesting than Kaidan. But at least Kaidan didn't announce his possible affection for you in front of the entire crew and then never mention it again...

Seriously, game companies need to employ females to write romance lines.

Kaidan is waaay more useful than Carth. And he doesn't waste my life with his perpetual whining... though maybe that's because I ignore him when I play female and talk to Liara instead.

Seriously, if females wrote game romances, the actual game would never get out. You'd be locked in the ship the entire time :lol:.

And so, my favorite Bane fanatic, you simply MUST bring the Carth ish talk HERE, too? :)

*sigh* whatever floats your boat, I guess. It just seems to me that you're about as passionate about him as you are Bane. Insecure much? Or maybe just a Carth fanboy in disguise. :)

Oh, yeah, and Carth and Kaidan BOTH rule.

That is all.

legoK2.jpg

Check out my KOTOR fan vids on YouTube. And no, they're not of legos.

Seriously, if females wrote game romances, the actual game would never get out. You'd be locked in the ship the entire time :teehee:.

You've got a point... in a way. In my current fic, I hardly even touch on game events and instead the relationships between all the characters... but mostly I do that because I figure if you're reading the fic, you know what happens in the game and you want the holes filled in. Not a blow by blow of each battle.. (ugh).

But then again, if they're only writing the romance storylines, they wouldn't get the option to keep you in the ship constantly!

Besides, one of the things I didn't like about Kaidan was that you could only talk to him on the ship. That's just wrong! These conversations need the right settings... :p

And so, my favorite Bane fanatic, you simply MUST bring the Carth ish talk HERE, too? :ermm:

Yup. At least I'm consistent about my topics, right?

*sigh* whatever floats your boat, I guess. It just seems to me that you're about as passionate about him as you are Bane. Insecure much? Or maybe just a Carth fanboy in disguise. :p

Oh, yeah, and Carth and Kaidan BOTH rule.

That is all.

Nope, I don't drone on about Carth's failness as much as I drone on about Bane's epic-win-ness? Is that a word? :biggrin: And no, in no way, shape, or form, so help me Miyam... I mean God, am I a Carth fanboy in disguise. :p

You've got a point... in a way. In my current fic, I hardly even touch on game events and instead the relationships between all the characters... but mostly I do that because I figure if you're reading the fic, you know what happens in the game and you want the holes filled in. Not a blow by blow of each battle.. (ugh).

If I ever wrote a fic, and I'll probably get around to it, it would be the exact opposite: straight combat and plot, no character fluff.

But then again, if they're only writing the romance storylines, they wouldn't get the option to keep you in the ship constantly!

Besides, one of the things I didn't like about Kaidan was that you could only talk to him on the ship. That's just wrong! These conversations need the right settings... :p

Yes, they'd make the dialouge so long and boring that you'd never get done with it. :lol:

And yes, the lair of a giant sentinent plant/ Mother Brain is a great place for a date. :teehee:

If I ever wrote a fic, and I'll probably get around to it, it would be the exact opposite: straight combat and plot, no character fluff.

Obviously if you write a story it should be what you want to write, but if you want feedback from readers character fluff is a must. Most readers (at least on ff.net) seem to be female and will generally ignore stories that don't have any character development.

Of course, to have a really good independent story you have to have both. Which is why I'm not a real writer!

:*

Edited by qt3.14159

While the very well defined Dark Vs Light is quite good - because it still allows some depth of character. In the end however it's somewhat restrictive as characters usually end up as either good, evil / fallen, redeemed or stubborn neutral.

I haven't read any SW books or fanfics - so I have no idea if I'm being completly unoriginal here.

But I would take an approach of looking at the history and nature of The Force and it's effect on Galactic history. From the perspective of a scholar looking for evidence on what The Force actually is, while of course being blind to it. It would be like a history book of the Star Wars universe and the mythology of Jedi/Sith, seen from the historical point of view.

Looking at the effects Bane, Vader, The Mandelorian Wars etc had on "modern" Galactic history. Like some scholars today look at the effect Alexanders reign had.

Fortune favors the bald.

But I would take an approach of looking at the history and nature of The Force and it's effect on Galactic history. From the perspective of a scholar looking for evidence on what The Force actually is, while of course being blind to it. It would be like a history book of the Star Wars universe and the mythology of Jedi/Sith, seen from the historical point of view.

Meh. First of all, the very black and white aspect of Star Wars is one of its strengths. Yes, it may seem overly simplified and forced, and it even is IMHO, but it's still the charm of the plots and the setting.

As for what the Force really is, I honestly don't think we should know, because it would ruin the mystery - never did Lucas harm Star Wars as much as when he introduced midi-chlorians, because it takes away from the mystery of the force, and that's a bit sad, just as it would be a bit sad to uncover the truth of the Loch Ness monster or the Bermuda Triangle, and just as Nihilus would be a lot less scarier and interesting if we knew all about his backstory in TSL.

Or to quote Stephen King in a recent article:

"... nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear."

We need that scary stuff, because if you explain the force, then you unmask the dark side. And we need to keep the dark side as something we're supposed to fear.

While the very well defined Dark Vs Light is quite good - because it still allows some depth of character. In the end however it's somewhat restrictive as characters usually end up as either good, evil / fallen, redeemed or stubborn neutral.

I haven't read any SW books or fanfics - so I have no idea if I'm being completly unoriginal here.

Looking at the effects Bane, Vader, The Mandelorian Wars etc had on "modern" Galactic history. Like some scholars today look at the effect Alexanders reign had.

In a way this is what K2 tries to make. I see K2 as a study of the Force through the eyes of someone that has been ripped off it and gradually re-aquires the affinity with it. Partially, I believe this is one of the reasons (or the main one) because K2 was so criticized: introducing a bit of philosophy in the SW 'verse, looking it a bit more deeply than usually.

If they lie to me once, they're to blame. If they lie to me twice, it is me to blame. If they lie to me a third time, I'm stupid enough to be lied a fourth time.

A story based on the progeny of Han and Leia would interest me. Their kids would likely be strong with the Force since Leia supposedly is.

You have a time of great peace and then something threatens it - something completely outside the SW universe, something new, some new race or "empire" they run into and try to set up relations with. Perhaps even a new source of mystical power that can challenge the Force.

Stories need new places, new names, new trials, along with the familiar, or they grow stale.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Im not sure if this has been done or if anyone else would like it, but I think it would be cool to expand on Jolee Bindo's story.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

A story based on the progeny of Han and Leia would interest me. Their kids would likely be strong with the Force since Leia supposedly is.

You have a time of great peace and then something threatens it - something completely outside the SW universe, something new, some new race or "empire" they run into and try to set up relations with. Perhaps even a new source of mystical power that can challenge the Force.

Stories need new places, new names, new trials, along with the familiar, or they grow stale.

Wasn't the entire run of both the Young Jedi Knights and the Junior Jedi Knights about that?

The beginnings of Star Wars peoples civilization, the dawn. Like 68965467845678654567543567654345674356765456763456567865456786545675435676543567

65435678654675434567543567 trillion years ago. o:)

EDIT:

The life and death (mostly death) of Jar Jar Binks.

_________

Thats actually very interesting.

ROFL

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

The beginnings of Star Wars peoples civilization, the dawn. Like 68965467845678654567543567654345674356765456763456567865456786545675435676543567

65435678654675434567543567 trillion years ago. -_-

EDIT:

The life and death (mostly death) of Jar Jar Binks.

_________

Thats actually very interesting.

ROFL

Lol... Thats quite a long time ago. Are you sure that there hasn't already been like 54164787654132168794543218967454611654549/78945131654 to the 8th power big bangs by now? Assuming of course you believe that big bang rubbish.