MMO, please?

gigahound

"Well, if some of you want to believe that these guys did nothing more than watch from a distance when those past games were in development, that's up to you."

'They' did what all publishers do. Take that as you will.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Gigahound, I have yet played a MMO that I have truly liked. I have played Ultima Online, Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 1, WoW, Eve Online, Guild Wars, DDO, Tabula Rasa, and a slew of others.

Not a single one of them are worth my time. I play games for the story, for character development (both story and game mechanics), and for the challenge. There has yet been a MMO that has kept me playing more than an hour. I doubt there ever will. That is because, in my ever so humble opinion which matters most to me, they all suck.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"If Obsidian went doing MMO who would do quality RPG with depth?

There is not allot of them out there except for Bioware."

Companies get created. BIO was a medical software company yet look at them now. *shrug*

Obsidian was only created because of the failure of the Interplay division of BIS. *shrug*

nope, it was created because of the failure of the Interplay

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

And, once upon a time, BIO's strengths lied in medical software... 10 years later, they're a star RPG developer. *shrug*

And, once upon a time, BIO's strengths lied in medical software... 10 years later, they're a star RPG developer. *shrug*

If BIo can go from making medical software to successful RPG development; I'm sure Obsidian can handle going from RPGs to MMORPGs

BIO went from meedical software to action/advenbture games to RPGs to Action RPGs to now MMORPGs. Yet, they've succeeded throughout.

BIO was a medical software company yet look at them now. *shrug*

What is it again that Bioware was doing before they started making video games?

This is an RPG/Action game studio.

Thx Gbye

They can't branch out to other genres? They might be able to make a really good women's basketball game...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

No that's an EA thing. They are good with sports and destroying companies.

Selling them, but not much else.

Their sports games are just that. Games. Not simulations. Games.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

quality MMO

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? :lol:

Seriously, I agree with Sand - MMOs just don't appeal to me, since they have virtually no plot or character depth. I have tried a few, though fewer than Sand mentions.

"MMO? Just say no!" 8)

But MMOs did give us the latest version of TIE Fighter. Too bad you have to pay $15/mo for TIE Fighter: Jump to Lightspeed

DAWUSS

quality MMO

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? :lol:

Seriously, I agree with Sand - MMOs just don't appeal to me, since they have virtually no plot or character depth. I have tried a few, though fewer than Sand mentions.

"MMO? Just say no!" 8)

But MMOs did give us the latest version of TIE Fighter. Too bad you have to pay $15/mo for TIE Fighter: Jump to Lightspeed

Yeah, MMOney... :lol:

As long as people keep repeating that Obsidian should stick with 'what they know' a billion times or MMOs suck, I'll return the favor. :lol:

Well, MMOs do suck. All of them. The KotOR MMO might not suck, but I doubt it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

As long as people keep repeating that Obsidian should stick with 'what they know' a billion times or MMOs suck, I'll return the favor. o:)

Well, MMOs do suck. All of them. The KotOR MMO might not suck, but I doubt it.

Even the free ones?

DAWUSS

Especially the free ones.

How so? It's not like you're losing money over them...

DAWUSS

Even the free ones?

The only free ones, meaning no monthly fee, is Guild Wars.

I have seen ads for things like Maple Story but they look more like graphical MUDS than real MMOs in the traditional sense. I am just not an online gamer.

When I game, I game alone.

Regardless of who makes it, I would like to see a more in-depth MMORPG. Something story-driven that evolves over time depending on player interaction. Something akin to a persistent world created by Neverwinter players. Cost-prohibitive, more than likely.

"Their sports games are just that. Games. Not simulations. Games."

Wrong. They may not be 'perfect' sims; but they are simulations.

And, EA is awesome.

And, they don't destroy companies. Those companies imploded by the greed and failure of their previous owners/creators. Sorry; but it's true.

If BIo 'dies'; EA didn't destroy them. BIO did that when they 'sold out' (even if they had 'good reasons' to).

Besides, BIO as a company doesn't really exist. At least not as a seperate entity, anyways. They're 'just' an overly large and somewhat 'independent' (for now) division of EA.

Regardless of who makes it, I would like to see a more in-depth MMORPG. Something story-driven that evolves over time depending on player interaction. Something akin to a persistent world created by Neverwinter players. Cost-prohibitive, more than likely.

Thats it the one reason I got bored with MMOG, I agree I wish we could see more story driven events. Asheron's Call did an astounding job when they did the live "Shadow Invasion" event, and depending on how the players did on each "Shard" the story was effected. I miss that. :/

"Their sports games are just that. Games. Not simulations. Games."

Wrong. They may not be 'perfect' sims; but they are simulations.

And, EA is awesome.

And, they don't destroy companies. Those companies imploded by the greed and failure of their previous owners/creators. Sorry; but it's true.

If BIo 'dies'; EA didn't destroy them. BIO did that when they 'sold out' (even if they had 'good reasons' to).

Besides, BIO as a company doesn't really exist. At least not as a seperate entity, anyways. They're 'just' an overly large and somewhat 'independent' (for now) division of EA.

Over course EA destroys companies that they purchased, my dear Biodrone. EA us now awesome, they're an evil monopoly.

This Rob fellow has to go, he'll be a corrupting influence to the Obs devs. :rolleyes:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"Over course EA destroys companies that they purchased"

No, they don't. The moment those companies 'sell out' is the moment they are destroyed. They commit suicide. There is no 'company' for EA to destroy.. just an EA division for them to remove when they feel it's no longer worthwhile to keep. Don't blame EA for the owners' killing their company.