Bioware/EA's KotOR Online leaked

Jaesun

Hmmm... is all I can say.

WoW is my current MMO but it's a love/hate as usual because Blizzard is the designer and we go back a decade (as business/customer).

WoW appeals because:

- Fantasy setting involving dwarves, elves, humans, and all sorts of creatures both plain and fantastic; something the D&D/Ultima/Bard's Tale player in me enjoys being part of.

- I can solo from 1 to 70 (current cap) without ever setting foot in an instance (area designed for groups)

- Professions, both primary and secondary.

- Talents that let me choose how I want my character to develop.

- Many races and classes to choose from.

- Simplistic but usually beautiful graphics consisting of height map and 3D object meshes. It can't compare to more detailed or modern 3D games, but it's better than many others.

- Larger world than any singleplayer game I've every played.

- PVP - many, many people love fighting each other, and Blizzard also loves it. I hate it but I'm probably in the minority (I'm on a PVE server).

- Mounts, both land based and flying, to speed travel.

- Can build reputation with various factions, often with material rewards.

Things I don't like about WoW and thus will never abandon singleplayer games:

- Blizzard's narrow view of what constitutes an MMO, and as such they require grouping for much story-related content. (MMO stock definition is that groups are optional and decided upon by the players, not the developers.)

- To go with the above, Blizzard's idea of "epic" is something like the movie 300, where a group of soldiers does something against a much bigger foe. My idea of "epic" is something like the Matrix, where I kick butt all by myself (I enjoy soloing lower level instances for this reason).

- Reliance upon other players for game content (aka dynamic content). Take other players away and the game world feels rather spartan, with very little you can interact with (aside from killing everything in sight). It's certainly not like Ultima 7.

- It is largely up to players to police each other, such that I play like everyone is a potential enemy until they prove otherwise.

- The large world is a quilt of zones, rather than one big contiguous place. Still tied to singleplayer roots in this regard.

At any rate, Blizzard has a good core design (leveling, random loot, PVP) that people enjoy, but Bioware and Lucasarts have skills I appreciate also. If they manage to produce an MMO that doesn't have some or all of the gripes I have with WoW, I'll consider switching. (I've enjoyed the Star Wars universe as well, and have played several Lucasarts Star Wars games over the years. I also enjoy KotOR.)

Edited by Wistrik

• 1 month later...
Where is the rumor that there will be a KotOR III? :cries:

I have no interest in a KotOR MMOG. bleh.

You know that LA internally started development of Kotor3...

Is that an actual fact? Source? Though it *does* make sense for them to do it internally, though I feel Bio or Obsidian could do a far better job of it.

Anyway, there're still chances Bio Edmonton or Obsidian are doing a Kotor3.

That's what I am hoping for, time to send a letter to:

LucasArts

P.O. Box 29908

San Francisco, CA 94129-0908

PLEASE LET OBSIDIAN DO A KOTOR III!!!!111!!! PLS! KTHNXBYE! LUV JAESON.

Where is the rumor that there will be a KotOR III? :cries:

I have no interest in a KotOR MMOG. bleh.

You know that LA internally started development of Kotor3...

Is that an actual fact? Source? Though it *does* make sense for them to do it internally, though I feel Bio or Obsidian could do a far better job of it.

This happened during/just after Kotor 2 and it is one the reasons why Kotor 2 ending is what it is. Kotor 2 ending was supposed to be like Empire Strikes Back

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

KOTOR MMO... just sad:(

I don't want other people to play in my story (no offence you other people lol), but seriously, I loved KOTOR 1 and 2... just me and my experience. No matter how good it could be, it wouldn't be KOTOR. It should be a one person experience as it was... if they want a Star Wars MMO, make a new one, plenty left to tell. They should just make a KOTOR 3 RPG like 1 and 2 were, just even more kick buttocks!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former

I take it that you guys want 'one' Kotor III as a single-player RPG, with direct continuation of the events from KotOR II.

In that case, i want one too!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I did enjoy the two KOTORs, but they were both plagued by extremely easy played-for-you combat; I have no particular attachment to the setting, either. So I'm quite happy for it to drop out of my life (since, well, it's an MMO). I can sympathise with those who do have an attachment to the series, though.

I know this thread is derailing pretty fast... :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein