Videogames -> Movies

Rosbjerg

I found this list of games that have been/are about too/might be turned into films.

I just wanted to put it here so you would have en idea of what is coming.

Personally I'm not really for these kind of films, I've yet to see a VG movie that really worked well.

Fortune favors the bald.

Alone in the Dark II (2009)

The mind boggles.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Generally, I think they're a curse. But before the last few years comic book / superhero movies were generally pretty bad too. But now they're starting to get those right. Is it wrong to hope that *somehow* they will start making decent game movies?

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Hardly surprising. Writing for video games is by and large pretty crappy. (And, when it's good, it tends to be far too sprawling to fit decently in a film.) A lot of what makes the games popular is the gameplay experience, which is stripped away in film adaptations. When the weak writing and characters are asked to support the endeavor alone, it often collapses.

Really, the only reason that these films were videogame spinoffs in the first place is marketing. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of them were created because someone played the games and thought that they would make a really good movie. Rather, they take a property with good name recognition in the target demographic and either write up a script based on it, or repurpose an existing script that wasn't good enough to get produced on its own. Spinoffs of all kinds are huge now because so much of the cost of producing a movie goes into marketing, just to get the target audience aware of the film and give them an idea of what it's about. A spinoff gets you that level of awareness for a much lower cost than an original title.

Edited by Enoch

There has only been one game franchise that has made a decent movie series and that is Resident Evil. The rest are just crap.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Just more evidence (as if we needed it) how creatively bankrupt Hollywood is. What with remaking old TV shows, comic books, remaking old movies, now lets steal from the VG community, because why create something new and take a chance of losing money

Luckily there's thousands of excellent movies to watch and not enough time to do so.

Mortal Kombat (August 18, 1995): Good

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (June 15, 2001): Good

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (July 13, 2001): Not Bad

Resident Evil (March 15, 2002): Not Bad

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (July 25, 2003): Good

Silent Hill (April 21, 2006): Good+

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (2005): Good+

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (1994): Good+

Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie (1999): Good+

The Pokemon movies are pretty good, too. At least back when I watched them.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (November 21, 1997): Worst movie I've ever seen

Street Fighter (December 23, 1994): Terrible

Doom (October 21, 2005): Bad

Resident Evil: Extinction (September 21, 2007): As bad as Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

BloodRayne (January 6, 2006): Sci-Fi Channel Original bad

Super Mario Bros. (May 28, 1993): Don't remember

Double Dragon (November 4, 1994): Don't remember

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (September 10, 2004): Not worth remembering

Video games can make excellent action movie or action/adventure properties. The problem is they seem to attract terrible directors and screenwriters, looking to make a quick buck on a name.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would place that Van Damme Street Fighter lower than MK: Annihilation.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Those are the only two that I can think of that were good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

:lol: Good? :lol:

:)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (July 13, 2001): Not Bad
Not good either

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (July 25, 2003): Good
:)

Consider yourself lucky
Double Dragon (November 4, 1994): Don't remember
:x

Video games can make excellent action movie or action/adventure properties. The problem is they seem to attract terrible directors and screenwriters, looking to make a quick buck on a name.
They can, but so far they have not. The reason you give works for me.

Consider yourself lucky

I consider myself double lucky! I distinctly recall enjoying the movie when I watched it. I just don't remember why.

Edited by Tale

The Tomb Raider movies were entertaining fun if you were maybe stuck on a 14 hour flight or an oil rig or something.

That first Final Fantasy film was also watchable if you managed to overlook the silly story and focus on the pretty graphics.

every other video game adaptation has been at best cruddy and at worst the cinematic equivalent of dribbly diarrehea.

i wouldn't rule out that some day someone will make a decent movie based on a videogame. but i ain't gonna hold my breath.

dumber than a bag of hammers

I enjoyed the Resident Evil films. The last one left something to be desired, but I wouldn't say it was terrible. I also really liked the FF: Spirits Within movie.

I'd say that's it. The rest are only enjoyable in a campy sense.

Superman 1978>Every other super hero film ever made

Got it on Blu-Ray. I'm considering getting Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut.

Video Game movies are where Comic Book movies were two decades ago.
I see your point but

Nahh... Batman begins ftw

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Video Game movies are where Comic Book movies were two decades ago.
I see your point but

Nahh... Batman begins ftw

Sorry the Bat suit sucks (Always has always will) and the cast of Superman is just AWESOME. Marlon Brando rules all :ermm:

Also Superman is epic in scope and grandeur, no other film has come close in this regard

Edited by Kelverin

They forgot Gears of War... they're making a movie out of it. I think they stopped work on the Halo movie though.

Nevermind, they didn't.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I like Uwe Boll

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.