Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another one of those upgrade threads.

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
Bearing in mind that I have to save somewhere, no name industry standard or 9/9/9/24, or 7-7-7-20 cas corsair ram might be the place to do it. It costs barely anything, and if the actual performance difference is still negliable and I'm going to be throwing it in storage at my next upgrade anyway.. well.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
@Bokshi

By the way, getting a e8400 @ 3.8 GHz, pretty nifty. Although you must have spent an arm and a leg on coolers. Still coolers might be as good a future investment as anything else. Is it stable, and by that I mean as a rock ?.

Edited by Gorgon, 20 July 2008 - 03:04 AM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

@Bokshi

By the way, getting a e8400 @ 3.8 GHz, pretty nifty. Although you must have spent an arm and a leg on coolers. Still coolers might be as good a future investment as anything else. Is it stable, and by that I mean as a rock ?.

Been running it that way for 3 months now. I originally had it at 4 ghz, and it was stable for like a month, and then it started giving me errors. Of course it might have had something to do installing that 3rd videocard, I dunno. Just watch it with those e8400's, what's stable on it when you first buy it, may not be once it finally sets in

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
Ok here is an attempt at a complete lineup for a budget PC.

Processor
Core 2 Duo E8400 6 MB (Intel Boxed)

Board.
Asus Maximus Formula. it's not cheap, but it supports very cheap ram while having two pci express 2.0 x16 slots. Also, bundled with S.T.A.L.K.E.R, shadow of Chernobyl, which made me laugh.

Ram
2x 2048 MB Dual Mushkin Xtreme. DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-8500CL5 / 1066 MHz

GFX
Asus HD 4850

HDD
Samsung SpinPoint T166 - 500 mb

CD/R
Salvaged, although I can't figure out if the board actually has an old style IDE connector. Rooting through the PDF manual now.

PSU& CaseI'm at a loss here on whether to match something to my needs or go with a the Neo link 1200 PSU & Case from Aentech, which should last me through another upgrade.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Maximus Formula does have one IDE connector, see here, for example, or a picture of it.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
I originally thought that FSB had to match Ram Speed, but this is not the case is it ?.

I mean I don't need ram rated at 1333 mhz to run the board & processor at 1333 sfb

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
Theres something else, The ATI certified components list lists power supplies according to the number and type of PCI express slots.

They list PCIe 2x3 and PCIe 2x4 and the number of cards you can have. How does this relate to PCI e2.0 x16.

2x4 is 8, not 16. Does it simply mean ; this is how many PCI express slots of that type you can have filled - with anything, not necessarily a gxf card ?

http://game.amd.com/...onents.aspx?p=3

I'm going to have to figure this out if I decide to go with a PSU that targets my system more or less exactly.

Edited by Gorgon, 22 July 2008 - 03:49 PM.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
How the FSB and the RAM speed are connected depends on the chipset. You'd have to look for a review that covers whether and how it works exactly. For my motherboard, they're completely independent (while the HT-speed - owning an AMD board - is tied to other frequencies), but there are sure to be others where FSB and memory speed must fulfill certain criteria, like 1:1, 2:3, 1:2 or similar relations.

Concerning the strange PCI-e numbers: These are the connectors of the PSU. 2x3 is a 6pin, 2x4 is an 8pin connector. The table shows the number of connectors available for each type and how many cards of the type in the title of the table are supported by the PSU.

Edited by samm, 22 July 2008 - 04:23 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
Looking at the Asus Page it says that the board supports 800, 1066 and 1333 FSB, My processor is 1333.

Then it says it supports Dual-Channel DDR II 800 and 1066, and just to make things interesting

Memory Features

Native DDR2 1066 Support
To attain top performance, ASUS engineers have successfully unleashed the true potential of DDR2 memory. While in DDR2 1066 mode, ASUSīs exclusive technology offers a choice of FSB 1333 - providing great performance for 3D graphics and other memory demanding applications.

I suppose this means DDR 2 1066 will work in 1333 FSB.

Edited by Gorgon, 22 July 2008 - 04:52 PM.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Looks that way, yes :lol:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts

Concerning the strange PCI-e numbers: These are the connectors of the PSU. 2x3 is a 6pin, 2x4 is an 8pin connector. The table shows the number of connectors available for each type and how many cards of the type in the title of the table are supported by the PSU.

Some of the PSUs are listed as having no 8 pin connectors. How are they supposed to power HDDs ?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts

Some of the PSUs are listed as having no 8 pin connectors. How are they supposed to power HDDs ?

PCI connectors, not HDD connectors. Powerhungry Gfx cards (i.e.) requires a direct feed from the powersupply, so they get the cables with the PCI-e connectors. For drives, you would have SATA (can't remember their exact name) power connectors.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Gorth's right. To illustrate, some pics of different power connectors:
Molex connectors for IDE-Drives (for older HDs, CD-ROM etc.): [o o o o]
SATA connector (for newer HDs, DVD burners etc.): ======Ž
PCIe connector (for graphics cards that use more power than the PCIe-slot provides): 6 pin, 8 pin

Edited by samm, 23 July 2008 - 04:18 AM.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
Some of the later editions of that board support 1600 FSB.

Thought I would throw that in.

Good choice on board and processor.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
So here is a stab at a budget power supply http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=07665

Its little brother, the 550 watt version, is on the Crossfire certified list for HD4850s, this one is not. Both are SLI Certified. It would be nice to save a little money, but there is a real danger of getting it wrong and ending up with stability issues. I mean who knows, there could be some detail with the amps & watts that make the difference.

Is 550 watts pushing my luck. Sounds like you need a degree in electrical engineering to figure this out. No wonder most buyers go a little overboard just to be sure.

Edited by Gorgon, 23 July 2008 - 02:19 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
Argh, screw it, I'm going with the Sherman tank PSU+Case from Antech. Not worth the hassle for so little money in difference.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Is 550 watts pushing my luck. Sounds like you need a degree in electrical engineering to figure this out. No wonder most buyers go a little overboard just to be sure.

trust me, the degree doesn't help.

overboard is never bad when choosing a PSU, btw. it is also my opinion that a server case, or at lest a mid to full-size case is the best bet. i have not ever found the "quiet" cases to be anything close to quiet, nor can i deal with cramped and compact cases. i guess i'm biased, however, since i've always had a rather larger area in which my rig resides, so compact is not really necessary. i'm also used to noisy rigs, so quiet isn't an issue either. heck, you ought to hear the dell server cranking in my office right now. 1.5 TB of HDDs (5 each at 300 GB) screaming away plus two core2 xenons and associated monster fans pumping out the decibels*. jet engine is an understatement.

taks

* as a funny note that only an engineer would likely be amused by, the plural for decibel is decibels, but the plural for the abbreviation of decibel, dB, is dB, i.e., there's no s on the end of it. i was watching some movie the other day and a chick playing a scientist/engineer of some type referred to some measurement in terms of "dBs," which elicited an immediate comment from me (my wife hates it when i do that).

Edited by taks, 24 July 2008 - 10:30 AM.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

overboard is never bad when choosing a PSU, btw.

Imo it is :dancing: but it's getting better with the first 80+silver psus showing up... I hate the server at work, why does it have to be in that stupid rack? If it was in a normal tower, it could be cooled so much quieter, instead it now has these jet engines of 50mm fans or something.

Gorgon: What sherman tank case? Antec's a quality brand, so I'd guess it'll be alright.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=09190

It's a 20 kg dual ps and case setup with a total of 1200 watt capacity. It costs about 15-20% more than what you would pay for a name brand 850 watt ps and case. The the case then is good value, and is reviewed positively on a few OC/ enthusiast sites, but the PS is definitely overkill for my needs. Although overkill = upgrade.

Antec doesn't make a 850 watt variant with the truepower quatro PS, or I would probably have gotten that.

The other Antec server case I'm looking at
http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=01565 -

is 650 watt, but the PS ; 650 truepower trio is not on the certified list. http://game.amd.com/...onents.aspx?p=3

I'm worried that there is some little difference in the specs that will render it a poor choice.

Edited by Gorgon, 24 July 2008 - 11:37 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4763 posts
The fact that the big one is split in two, one 650 watt for the board and one 550 for the drives and accessories should mean it is power efficient at lower loads, no ?

But then again theres two of them, like having two comps turned on instead of one.

Edited by Gorgon, 24 July 2008 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users