Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another one of those upgrade threads.

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
:)

I had a bit of fun with my own, recently purchased motherboard. Plugged in the cpu, ram etc. and powered it up. Bios decided that it didn't like any contemporary cpus (core 2 and newer) and refused to boot afterwards. Needed a "hard reset" of the bios and a re-flashing from a usb stick with a bios downloaded on my old computer... :lol:

It is nicer when it works out of the box.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
So i'm on Intel and according to them 'E0' is not a valid stepping. Which is odd.

http://processorfind...x...c=&OrdCode=

However, armed with the local retailers product number, I find that it matches what Intel calls the 'Box order nr'. Well one of them, because of course there is two, and the other one doesn't match mine from the retrailer

Retailers supplied product nr BX80570E8400

On intel :

Box Order Code:

BXC80570E8400
BX80570E8400

Edited by Gorgon, 15 July 2008 - 04:40 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
I like the MSI because it supports DDR 3 SD ram, which is what I want if I'm to salvage it later.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
To clarify I should say that the 'C0' stepping matches what I found on intel (some of it) and there is no listing on 'E0' which might be an oddball not produced in any great number. This is promising as far as I can see.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
I'm thinking I want a case too. I like Antec, thats what I have now, a big unwieldy case with plenty of unobstructed airflow and space that doesn't make a lot of noise, just the way I like it. The ones that come with a PSU are usually good value, unfortunately theres a huge gap between the 1200 watt monster from the blue lagune and the rest.

Zalman makes gorgeous cases that are unfortunately way out of my budget.

Edited by Gorgon, 15 July 2008 - 10:21 AM.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
i've got a big antec server case, which i like, but it has issues with anything that uses IDE cabling (such as my older CDROM). my wife has one of those antec "quiet" cases and, quite frankly, it's noisier than my server case and more crowded to boot. either way, i'm an antec case/PSU fan since they've both always proven very reliable.

taks

tripleRRR

tripleRRR

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts
My last PSU was an Antec Neopower. It nearly fried my entire mobo when I first turned the damn thing on. Kinda scared to get anything Antec right now.

wesley2

wesley2

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 75 posts
I've only ever used about 3 of them, but 2 were antec. That includes the one I have now and I've had no problems with it. It runs loudly at startup, but will often quiet down within about 15 minutes. I think that's more attributable to all the dust in the fan than anything else though. it had adequate cables and I haven't had problems with space. From the reviews I've read and my own experience they seem to be pretty reliable and usually pretty comfortably priced. There's nothing like paying a ton for a case on top of all the money you're spending to upgrade your machine.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
Now I'm torn, trying to figure out if I should hold out for a 4870x2, counting my money. I bloody knew this was going to happen :p

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
So, this is the 'monster from the blue lagune'. http://www.antec.com...p?ProdID=09191#

It has a few positive reviews, although you should be cautious of impartiality of price comparison sites. The Zalman PSU alone costs half of what I would pay for this PSU+Case.

It's a two in one PS split in a 650 watt for the mobo and PCI cardds and a 550 watt for the drives and the rest.
http://www.antec.com...-link_flyer.pdf

Now comes the hard part. Is this sufficient for new cards in Sli/Crossfire. Is it going to last me a long time. I read something about the PCI connectors needing to be 'running on a dual rail' in the PS thread. I have no idea what this means.

My guess is that this combo is better than a single 850 watt because they share the load.

The case has the HDDs isolated from the board for more efficient cooling and materials designed to lower noise.

The way I see it there is not very much to save by getting a Zalman or quatro 850 watt + another case, and this way at least I know the internal cables are going to be a snug fit.

Edited by Gorgon, 18 July 2008 - 10:17 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
I just noticed it weighs 20 kilograms - EMPTY lols.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I hope it comes on wheels :x

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
So, who knows anything about Ram specifications. This is the test report sheet for the x38 diamond. http://global.msi.eu...t/TR10_1328.pdf

As you can see not a whole lot tested compared to what is out there. Is there any real danger in choosing something else, There is a real shortness in the 1333, 2 gb section.

I take it the 'DDR' heading is synonymous with FSB, since it goes 800/1066/1333 same as the boards FSB speed options.
So I can buy something higher than 1333 mhz, but not lower if I want to run 1333 mzh on the board.

However, the price comparison site I am looking at has an array of options. Including the prefixes 'PC', 'PC2' and 'PC3'. I surmise 'PC3 11000' and 'DDR3 SD Ram' is what I'm looking for in the drop down menu, You can see that here http://www.edbpriser...egory.asp?ID=37. It's in danish but the categories should be self explanatory. The pricing for similar specifications from different producers vary wildly, I suppose roughly according to timings.

Anywho 2 x 2 GB '(4 GB) / DUAL RAM / DDR3 SDRAM / PC3-11000 / 1375 MHz / ? Bit /' is a listing for two kingston 2 gb sticks. Will that run happily at 1333 fsb, and OC to 1375 fsb ?

I wonder if I should look at another board. Don't want to order all this stuff and not even get the board to post. :)

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
DDR3 isn't that widely available yet, so if that is what it is, you might check the link below. DDR3 is the most important criteria when narrowing down your search on edbpriser really (because you can't plug a DDR2 ram into a DDR3 socket). The PC10800 etc. notation is more a legacy thing, as it is the FSB speed multiplied by a factor 8 (rounded to nearest "nice" number). It probably made sense back when PC3200 was all the rage. Now the numbers are so big it's silly and impossible to remember.

A small brand comparison guide: http://www.tweaktown...l_kingston_ocz/

I miss the days when edbpriser was still wheeler.dk :lol:

Good hunting :biggrin:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
Is DDR 3 worth it. I mean if I can get twice as much DDR 2 for the same money and DDR2 is going to be supported well into future nehalem boards ?

These are all ifs I'm asking, not telling :biggrin:

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
The closest reference I could find was this:

http://www.hexus.net....php?item=13674

Looks like you need "Tri-channel" (whatever *that* is) DDR3 ram and a new motherboard to run Nehalem (the pin layout of the cpu is different to current LGA775 sockets) :biggrin:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
On the verge of a major shift in technology is a really bad time to be buying I guess :biggrin:

Maybe I should just get a DDR 2 compatible board and chuck cheap ram in it to save money. Or, wait it out with my archaic system, but when is Nehalem going to get cheap enough for mere mortals. Christmas, Christmas next year....

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
I'd stick with DDR2. DDR3 is still over priced and not worth it for the small gains you would get. Eventually prices will go down and by that time it may be time to do another upgrade.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
What Lucian is saying is what I was told when asking the same question. And it's also what I did. Also, don't stare yourself blind at the FSB thing. From what I gather that won't be the choking point for memeories anyway. What you want to be aware of is the Cas Latency. The lower the better. It's either represented as CL5 or if it's more detailed 5-5-5-18.

I ended up getting 800mhz memories with CL4. I got 4GB of those for the same price as 2GB 1066mhz memories with CL5 (almost).

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Memory speed is so "meh" the gains in speed are minimal as in like 1-2 fps in games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users