Another one of those upgrade threads.

Gorgon

Well everything posted, no sudden death moves from the hardware. The CPU registers as 62 degrees celcius while idle in the bios, the auto shutdown temp set by the mobo is 90 degrees celcius. Is this this an acceptable temp ?
Both too high for my taste.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Oddly enough asus PC probe, which is bundled with the mobo, has the CPU at 43 cel. The Bios has it at 62. Both are asus, who is right... =]

Asus

62 does sound a bit on the high side ;(

Edit:

This was supposed to be a budget system, where did all my money go all of a sudden.

Scary, isn't it? I spent my bonus and then some (and I don't even have a decent gfx card yet)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oddly enough asus PC probe, which is bundled with the mobo, has the CPU at 43 cel. The Bios has it at 62. Both are asus, who is right... =]
PC Probe does nothing but reading the values from the BIOS. If you're viewing your BIOS during startup however, your CPU runs under full speed, in Windows when "idle", it uses current saving mechanisms and thus stays cooler.

Before installing the new heatsink, clean your CPU from all remains of the Intel thermal pad, and apply only a very thin layer of thermal paste (unless the new cooler comes with pre-applied stuff, too).

Edited by samm

According to what I have been able to find out, you are all wrong. No only is 65 degrees not high, it is in fact the default target temperature set by most 775 socket motherboards. What that means is that if the cpu is below 65 degrees the temperature control unit will automatically reduce the fan speed untill it reaches 65 to reduce noise. This fits perfectly with what I have observed if, as Bokshi says, the cpu is under full load while observed in the bios and affected by power saving mechanisms while in windows.

You might think it sounds like a lot, but thats just an overclocker\s subjective opinion. The processor is rated to run at 65.

It all depends on the exact stepping and model of the CPU. This is an overclocked example of my processor from a a core 2 temperature listing at Tom\s hardware forums.

Example 2: Duo

Tcase = 25c Idle, 60c Load (SpeedFan: CPU or Temp x)

Tjunction average Core = 29c Idle, 67c Load (SpeedFan: Core x)

Ambient = 22c

Chipset = P45

CPU = E8400

CPU Cooler= Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Frequency = 4.0 Ghz

Load = Prime95 - Small FFT`s - 10 minutes

Motherboard = Asus P5Q Deluxe

Stepping = C0

Vcore Load = 1.325

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745...mperature-guide

This is from the manual of an artic cooling Freezer 7 I borrowed.

All of our socket 775 coolers come with a pwm controller chip in the motor according to intels specifications, This allows the BIOS to to control the fan precisely. In case the fan is not regulated according to CPU load respective temperature, enter the BIOS. Most socket 775 mainboards offer a target CPU temperature. Set it to 65

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Mm... okay, if they say so... They design coolers, not me, so they're the authority there. I just know that I only feel comfortable with my CPU under 60

Edited by samm

So I couldn\t wait and I bought the arctic cooler off him, and well, it kinda destroys the whole concept of big slow moving fans on the mobo . It is louder than the stock cooler, but cheap, I can get another cooler if I decide its too annoying.

It shows 23 degrees in the bios and 15 degrees in windows. Sadly it does not appear that maximus formula has fan RPM controls. Or can set a target CPU temperature, I guess this is because it\s basically an enthusiast oc board, and not concerned with noise.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

So one last update, after I discovered that all the fans in the case can be regulated from the outside, and set the CPU fan lower. The thing runs very silent, the quietest system I have ever had, you would have to look at the front LEDS to even know it was on. I can then flick the fans to a higher setting when doing an extended gaming session. I can heartily recommend this case.

One small worry is that the maximus formula northbridge runs very hot, it hovers around 42-45 degrees, making it the hottest component in the system by more than 10 degrees. Maybe the big passive coolers means it doesn't benefit as directly from the four case fans.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Yes the North bridge does run hot. You would think that those huge heat sinks would spread out the heat. The good thing with my Antec 900 case is the 200mm fan that sits above the North bridge, able to blow air right on it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I have a question though, do ancient PCI cards fit in the new PCI express 2 motherboards, is it just a few slots that are PCI express or are there legacy options.

We are about to shift from analog to digital broadcast format, it will happen sometime next year, and there still remains questions about what chip will be needed for reception, I have a PCI card with analog input signal and chips that are in all likelyhood incompatibe with furture broadcast formats. It would be smarter to wait till after the shift to buy a new one.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.