BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE FALLOUT 3 TRAILER

Llyranor

Hell, remember the Oblivion Radiant AI video (that turned out to be fake)?

It wasn't fake. It's pretty common knowledge that the so-called "radiant" ai was toned down to stop to stop stupid **** like people setting fire to their dogs or killing their neighbour for a shovel form happening. From the developers point of view the ai was a big deal because it was a huge step up from their previous games, but for the gamer it really doesn't offer much that they couldn't get from scripted routines. Except maybe feeding people poison apples.

AI that isn't nearly as impressive as it sounds into unique to Bethesda. In fact it's the norm.

Bloodlines did show a lot of dialogue as well, even if there was a lot of FPS elements. And even if the big trailers focused on the 'actiony' elements in general, mostly, the fans were able to get more info about the RPG elements than this blockout from Beth.

What "blockout"? There are numerous previews and interviews, and now hands on such as the one Moatilliatta linked to. Information doesn't count unless it's in videos or screenshots? Is Obsidian "blocking out" gamers because they've haven't released screenshots or video of RPG elements, despite the fact that they've discussed them in interviews and shown them to journalists, just like Bethesda?

Of course that comparison isn't entirely fair, as Obs has plenty of time to release RPG footage (whatever that entails), while F3 is almost ready for release. But then I never claimed that Todd Howard was anything but a ****ty salesman, but Bethesda isn't doing anything unique or unusual in how they are are promoting the game.

It wasn't fake. It's pretty common knowledge that the so-called "radiant" ai was toned down to stop to stop stupid **** like people setting fire to their dogs or killing their neighbour for a shovel form happening. From the developers point of view the ai was a big deal because it was a huge step up from their previous games, but for the gamer it really doesn't offer much that they couldn't get from scripted routines. Except maybe feeding people poison apples.

It was scripted, from what I recall. Could be wrong, of course, but I believe the toning-down (which DID happen, yes) was another story.

What "blockout"?

The fact that every time any fan or journo asks to see about RPG elements, they get like the same 3 examples again and again? (Megaton, girl/bully/cake, uh...dogmeat)

I agree with you that Bethesda isn't wildly different from a lot of other companies, but I think what they're doing could be accurately called a conscious and worrying emphasis on juvenile 'cool' elements to a severe detriment of traidtional RPG info.

Does that quote have a source?

Really, that doesn't sound all that different from the other games. It doesn't sound different at all, really. I can become a slaver in Fallout 2 and then turn around and kill Metzger. I'll still have the tattoo but I'll have "saved" The Den. I can murder tons of innocent people and still end up with 500+ karma. I don't expect it to work any different in Fallout 3.

Jaesun, that's a really lazy attemp at ridicule. Giving players second chances is a good thing, provided they do it in a way that you can still get a different experience on a replay. Just because you have an option to do good quests as a bad guy doesn't mean everyone treats you the same no matter what your karma is (and as much was said in that quote you posted).

It was scripted, from what I recall. Could be wrong, of course, but I believe the toning-down (which DID happen, yes) was another story.

I know the initial Half-Life 2 video with Kleiner commenting on your knocking stuff around was presented as an example of the AI in the game, but it was actually scripted, being an example of what they were aiming for. I have no reason to believe the Oblivion video was scripted. I mean it featured a woman setting fire to her dog. If they were going to lie about it they would have set up something less stupid.

The fact that every time any fan or journo asks to see about RPG elements, they get like the same 3 examples again and again? (Megaton, girl/bully/cake, uh...dogmeat)

You mean like the way Obsidian shows the same "entering the embassy" and "dealing with the arms dealer" sequences? This is business as usual. It's like when actors do the rounds on talk shows promoting their latest movie and the same clip gets shown over and over. You don't put together different promotional packages for everyone you talk to. If you show every journo a new example, you're giving too much of the game away. If you just load the game up at any random point you risk showing off something that isn't particularly interesting, or perhaps something you don't want to be revealed before players experience it themselves.

And of course there's the problem of "RPG elements" meaning different things to different people. They've shown the stats screen after all, that's enough! Besides, this is the type of stuff that isn't easily shown off in a brief promotional video. How do you show in a video that there are no longer traits and you get a perk at every level? A whole lot easier to talk about it, which they do.

Fallout 3 features the NEW Second Chances
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Cynical much?

Is that directed at me? If so, I don't know what it means. Sorry.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Cynical much?

LOL!??!

It was directed at you, and everything you've said for the last 3 pages, no offense intended :lol:.

What can I say, you really don't seem that happy Bethseda are working on FO3... Or perhaps it's just Todd Howard.

I'm actually looking forwards to some kind of rant when you've played the game and had a good amount of time to dissect FO3. I expect to see foaming at the mouth!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Cynical much?

LOL!??!

It was directed at you, and everything you've said for the last 3 pages, no offense intended :lol:.

What can I say, you really don't seem that happy Bethseda are working on FO3... Or perhaps it's just Todd Howard.

I'm actually looking forwards to some kind of rant when you've played the game and had a good amount of time to dissect FO3. I expect to see foaming at the mouth!

*shrugs*

I'm hopeful it will be fun. WHat I have seen so far hasn't given me a lot of hope that I will enjoy it, especially since I have a good sampling of Todd's previous work on MW and Oblivion. I'm commenting on what I see and read, nothing more. If by cynical, you mean not believing that what I read is 100% accurate, then yes, I'm cynical.

And unless all the game companies and publishers want to refund all the hundreds of dollars I've spent in good faith on games that did not do what they were advertised to do, missing features, were blantantly unfinshed, or unplayably buggy, then I think my attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it" is perfectly legitimate.

You're free to feel as you want as well.

I wouldn't accept anything anyone said about a game till I've experienced it myself.

I do think its all too common that people in the industry start hyping games up based on false pretense, I think it's abhorant, but I also learnt to stop listening to anything and make my own opinion and ignore the devs very early on. People pirate games based on the fact that they don't even know if they will like game X, because they can't trust what dev's are saying.

If anything it's a public relations nightmare.

So I don't disagree with you, it's that I'm finding you have a negative enthusiam which I find entertaining :).

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

So I don't disagree with you, it's that I'm finding you have a negative enthusiam which I find entertaining :).

Well, that's cool. :* I'm not saying people have to or even should agree with me. Heck, it scares me when they do.

Anyway, even after all these years I still pay for the games I want to try (or demo them if possible), but I don't pirate them. Ever.

So at least that is something positive, right?

And I probably will buy Fallout 3, and I REALLY am hopeful that there is more to this game then we've been shown so far. I want there to be. Although I wil be most likely let others taste it first. Before I cough up the money. :)

Does that quote have a source?

Oops, I forgot the source:

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/08/04/...ds-on-preview/1

Really, that doesn't sound all that different from the other games. It doesn't sound different at all, really. I can become a slaver in Fallout 2 and then turn around and kill Metzger. I'll still have the tattoo but I'll have "saved" The Den. I can murder tons of innocent people and still end up with 500+ karma. I don't expect it to work any different in Fallout 3.

Becoming a Slaver in Fallout 2, this will make you hated by many people you'll meet in the game (Sulik, Cassidy and Keith Wright being some of the most important). Also you cannot even do certain quests.

Bethesdas Fallout 3: "I know I'm a Slaver Sulik, but come on! Give me a Second Chance!". :)

I actually like Bethesda's version better. Especially since they don't mention specifics and I doubt they'll let you get away easy if you KILL someone. I mean, the example is about puppies. Why wouldn't people be able to forgive you if you killed puppies? If you killed their family, sure, no mercy, but puppies? Just another example of this unreasonable "Bethesda did this, therefore it must be bad!" prejudice that's so prevalent throughout this thread. Tiresome.

Anyhow, I now KNOW Fallout 3 will be great! Because the Babyfaced Assassin said so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wW3GL5lyQ

You need to follow MMA to be able to enjoy this video.. Barnett is a cool guy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, Pete Hines said the consequences will mostly be confined to each quest. Which is not a good thing, but pretty standard for RPG's these days. But hey, there's always AP.

As far as the dog in Oblivion, some of the previews I read said it was obviously scripted, which I tend to believe since there's nothing like that in the game, or even in FO3 apparently. Now Bethesda does say they announced on the forums that AI was being downgraded, but they certainly didn't go out of their way to inform the general public mislead by their demo.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

People pirate games based on the fact that they don't even know if they will like game X, because they can't trust what dev's are saying.

I often try to borrow games from a friend before I buy. :rolleyes:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Second Chances - yes, within reason. But you have to make the NPCs and the game react to what's gone before. A good-aligned NPC should still give most quests to a PC with a bad reputation, but the dialogue (and the deal) should be different from the same NPC giving the same quest to the local hero.

The more I look at this picture, the more I think this game looks like Oblivion, and that's not a good thing. I just know those trees are going to keep popping in and out of existence as I run around, destroying any sense of immersion. :(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

How does that look like Oblivion in any way? And if you look closely you will see that the trees actually are quite far away so you don't actually know if LOD pop will be a big issue.

Of course I don't, not really. But the game does look to me a lot like Oblivion, in how the ground rises and falls, in how the trees meet the ground and how they look in relation to each other, so when I look at it, my memories of playing through Oblivion insert themselves into the Fallout 3 picture. Perhaps that's unfair, but it's what comes to mind when I look at the picture. Oblivion had a serious problem in that it looked very nice on high-end machines, but wasn't optimised to make the most of lower specifications - if you didn't have a very powerful machine, you had to forgive the game a lot, I think. So Bethesda has history here, and that too is in my mind as I look at the picture. I'm sure others have a different experience.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

People pirate games based on the fact that they don't even know if they will like game X, because they can't trust what dev's are saying.

I often try to borrow games from a friend before I buy. :(

... Grey area... Very grey area... LOL

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

I often try to borrow games from a friend before I buy. :ermm:

... Grey area... Very grey area... LOL

Well... I'm not opposed to gray. o:)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Bethesda doesn't like it when you miss things when hitting enemies:

We tried many ways of doing melee with VATS, and having messed a lot with "missing" in melee, it just felt really bad. So once

we changed VATS melee to "always hit"...

r00fles!

That's just stupid.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"