BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE FALLOUT 3 TRAILER

Llyranor

So what are you saying, that crpg fans are the only ones who can read? That Bethesda has a innovative marketing strategy of putting all rpg-releated info into text and all goofy blow stuff up into video?

Promotional material focusing on style rather than substance is nothing new. When you see trailers for summer blockbuster movies do you wonder why they focus more on action than character development? Do you think everyone who watches movie trailers also has a subscription to Empire?

Umm, because summer blockbusters are generally all about action and character development is pretty much unneccessary or even distracting?

If that's the game Bethesda wants to make, I'm not going to disagree with their right to make it. And at the moment, It appears that is precisely the type of game they are making.

An RPG generally requires more from the player than a simple action action, a greater investment of time and energy. It's really not a crazy assumption to think that RPG fans might like to dig a little deeper for info on their favourite genre.

Possibly. I don't know marketing so I really can't say yea or nay, as it were.

I don't think there's anything wrong with holding off taking their word for something until I actually see it.

There is nothing wrong with taking a "wait and see" attitude, but when you only do that with anything that sounds good, while assuming anything that sounds bad is the absolute truth and representative of the game as a whole, then it's obvious you've already made your choice.

I havent made my choice about anything. WHat I have seen so far is not promising, however. My hope is that they still haven't finished working out some of the gameplay issues outside of combat and so don't yet feel comfortable showing them.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Perhaps you haven't noticed who it is you're talking to. The sort of game that Crashgirl likes is very, very rare (and thank God for that, because they're boring) The details don't and never have mattered.

WHat are my favorite games? I mean, you would know right, considering all the time we've spent hanging out together talking about this stuff.

Well let's see, why don't I refresh your memory a bit.

Here's a list of ten of my favorite games. Not my most favorite, just ten that come to mind:

Daggerfall

Thief

Fallout

System Shock

XCOM

Jagged Alliance 2

STALKER

Wizardy 8

Master of Orion

X2

Hmmm, that looks like a pretty standard list of favorite games doesn't it. A lot of games that a lot of people like. You may not like them, of course, but please don't make it sound like I am off singing the praises of Daikatana and Dungeon LOrds.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Why are you bring up previous iterations of Fallout? I never did.

We aren't having a private conversation, this is a public forum. We (anyone in this thread) are talking about the third (fifth) game in a series, so other games in the series are relevant.

SO I'm left with the assumption that the focus in Fallout 3 is going to be goofy humor and exploding bodies and nuclear explosions.

We haven't seen any shots at night, do you also assume that it'll always be day in the game? Have we we even seen any shots of female characters? Obviously Fallout 3 is going to be goofy humor and exploding bodies and nuclear explosions and days without nights and a world of only men. You're free to make whatever assumption you like, but that doesn't stop those assumptions being far sillier than any teddy bear gun.

What do the previous Fallouts have to do it Fallout 3? They were made by a different company and different developers ten years ago.

Of course they are relevant, this game is part of a serious.

I agree he probably doesn't think it is the most important thing in the game. But I don't either

Before you said "I focused on it, bceucase Pete Hines focused on it." If it's not important why even bring it up? Is it really necessary to discuss every single thing that Pete Hines ever says about the game? Using your own logic we shouldn't even assume that there are many beards in the game, after all they weren't shown in the video, we haven't seen them with our own eyes. Why talk about Hines mentioning beards when you can talk about Hines discussing your actions having consequences? Anyone with basic comprehension skills can tell you that not everything in a conversation should be given equal weight. For example I could mention now that I like pie and I'd like to think I'd be right in assuming you won't think that my liking pie is the focus of this post. Then again maybe me and Pete are giving people too much credit. Or maybe folks just like to pick bits out of interviews and previews that appear to validate their own views.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Umm, because summer blockbusters are generally all about action and character development is pretty much unneccessary or even distracting?

See, now you get it, you're making generalizations too! All's right with the world.

Anyway, I'm going to bed.

Why are you bring up previous iterations of Fallout? I never did.

We aren't having a private conversation, this is a public forum. We (anyone is this thread) are talking about the third (fifth) game in a series, so other games in the series are relevant.

Wait, though, I'm confused. When people are saying bad things about Fallout 3 and they bring up Fallout 1 and 2, aren't they immediately told to stop bringing up old versions of a game that aren't relevant to this nextgen FO3?

SO I'm left with the assumption that the focus in Fallout 3 is going to be goofy humor and exploding bodies and nuclear explosions.

We haven't seen any shots at night, do you also assume that it'll always be day in the game? Have we we even seen any shots of female characters? Obviously Fallout 3 is going to be goofy humor and exploding bodies and nuclear explosions and days without nights and a world of only men. You're free to make whatever assumption you like, but that doesn't stop those assumptions being far sillier than an teddy bear gun..

Well, I'm assuming that there will be night and females to some degree. But mostly because bethesda already showed they know what night is and what females are in Oblivion. They did it well enough. I've got no complaints. However, they did not show they were good at creating dialogue and meningful interactions or a sense of significnace to gameplay and gameworld and your actions in it. All they are showing me now is they still don't know how to do it.

Perhaps in a couple weeks they will relese some gameplay footage that will prove me wrong. That would be awesome. But so far nada.

What do the previous Fallouts have to do it Fallout 3? They were made by a different company and different developers ten years ago.

Of course they are relevant, this game is part of a serious.

I actually agree with you, but I just wish people would say the same thing when people are saying less positive things about FO3 and using Fallout 2 and 2 as a basis for comparison.

I agree he probably doesn't think it is the most important thing in the game. But I don't either

Before you said "I focused on it, bceucase Pete Hines focused on it." If it's not important why even bring it up? Is it really necessary to discuss every single thing that Pete Hines ever says about the game? Using your own logic we shouldn't even assume that there are many beards in the game, after all they weren't shown in the video, we haven't seen them with our own eyes. Why talk about Hines mentioning beards when you can talk about Hines discussing your actions having consequences? Anyone with basic comprehension skills can tell you that not everything in a conversation should be given equal weight. For example I could mention now that I like pie and I'd like to think I'd be right in assuming you won't think that my liking pie is the focus of this post. Then again maybe me and Pete are giving people too much credit. Or maybe folks just like to pick bits out of interviews and previews that appear to validate their own views.

*shrugs*

I just thought it silly that he went off on beards when there are so much more so important content questions that need to be answered. A wide variety of beards is great, but it won't make the quests any better.

Unless there is a quest that uses disguises and stuff, I suppose.

See, now you get it, you're making generalizations too! All's right with the world.

Anyway, I'm going to bed.

I don't know. That's always what I am told whenI say summer blockbusters are always so lacking in character. I mean there are always exceptions, but I think the standard thought on summer blockbusters is that they focus on action first and charaters second. Intenionally.

ANyway, good night sweetie.

Thnks for kickin my arse for a while.

Its always fun. :shifty:

"Oblivion on the other hand? I think everyone's forgotten about it by now."

L0L Wishful thinking on your part.

Olivion is far from forgotten.

Just read reviews. Games are often compred to Oblivion. Most reveiwers never comapre games to Fo pretty much (except in reference to Obsidian's 'history') so to see FO will be 'remembered', and Oblivion has 'already been forgotten' is beyond fanciful wishful thinking not based in reality.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Exactly.

Oblvion With Guns is more used than Fallout With Swords.

:shifty:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Fallout With Swords.

:woot:

*wants*

:woot:

*wants*

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Lionheart-Legacy-of-...9795&sr=8-1

:p

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Lionheart could have been so awesome...

What a waste of an awesome setting.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Daggerfall

Thief

Fallout

System Shock

XCOM

Jagged Alliance 2

STALKER

Wizardy 8

Master of Orion

X2

For me that seems like an pretty awesome and solid list. X2 is a space sim, right? How does it compare to Tie Fighter and Freespace 2?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Daggerfall

Thief

Fallout

System Shock

XCOM

Jagged Alliance 2

STALKER

Wizardy 8

Master of Orion

X2

For me that seems like an pretty awesome and solid list. X2 is a space sim, right? How does it compare to Tie Fighter and Freespace 2?

Only finished one game on that list (Fallout) and played one other that I never finished (Thief)

An interesting hands on by Kieron Gillen.

The best thing about that is that he got killed by something. I mean if Bethesda can make the game world actually threatening and imposing, it would go a very long way toward making the game more atmospheric and engrossing.

Again we know level scaling has been changed: its now done by section and it locks in at the level when you first visit that area. So at least it is different from Oblivion, but I still have a hard time understanding how it will change the gameplay without actually playing it. We've also been told that there are things that can kill you regardless of the level scaling if you go there too early. So that's good as well.

Daggerfall

Thief

Fallout

System Shock

XCOM

Jagged Alliance 2

STALKER

Wizardy 8

Master of Orion

X2

Its more of a trading/empire building sim than a straight combat sim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Universe#The_X_Universe

"Hi Arcanium!"

Arcanum doens't have a lot in common with FO outside of very solid role-playing/C&C.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think Arcanum is fab and in some areas it comes close to or even passes Fallout. The depth of the world building and the role-playing options for example I think exceed those available in FO. But sadly, its weak points are much much weaker than anything in Fallout. Fo example, combat is Fallout was pokey and a bit reptitive at times, but in Arcanum the combat is just god-awful.

A lot of missed opportunities there.

Edited by CrashGirl

Daggerfall was absolutely horrible. To prove it, try playing it again. I don't think you'll be able to.

Sometimes this retro sentimentality just goes too far. You shouldn't try to make a 3d game with graphics that will make your eyes bleed. Just stay 2d.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Daggerfall was absolutely horrible. To prove it, try playing it again. I don't think you'll be able to.

Sometimes this retro sentimentality just goes too far. You shouldn't try to make a 3d game with graphics that will make your eyes bleed. Just stay 2d.

I still play it. I have an old 486 laptop which I use for some older games. I understand the criticisms of the game, but it remains the most complex and living single player gameworld ever created for a crpg.

edit: It is a 2d game.

Edited by CrashGirl

When people are saying bad things about Fallout 3 and they bring up Fallout 1 and 2, aren't they immediately told to stop bringing up old versions of a game that aren't relevant to this nextgen FO3?

I just wish people would say the same thing when people are saying less positive things about FO3 and using Fallout 2 and 2 as a basis for comparison.

It isn't comparisons that are the issue, it's pointing out differences to prove that F3 "isn't Fallout" while ignoring similarities.

Woah, are we back to people listing games again? Let's not go there.

This is Hell Kitty (I think) from page 15, but:

How often do videos for RPGs show off actual "RPG elements"? I remember when the reaction to the Vampire Bloodlines video on the Interplay forums was "oh, it's an FPS".

Remember the uberlong Witcher video? Hell, remember the Oblivion Radiant AI video (that turned out to be fake)? Bloodlines did show a lot of dialogue as well, even if there was a lot of FPS elements. And even if the big trailers focused on the 'actiony' elements in general, mostly, the fans were able to get more info about the RPG elements than this blockout from Beth.

Really, there are a few persevering myths, both positive and negative, and this is one of them.

Woah, are we back to people listing games again? Let's not go there.

Yeah, that's my bad and I apologize for it. But I felt it was an appropriate response in that instance.