BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE FALLOUT 3 TRAILER

Llyranor

It's no real surprise considering before they bought the IP outright they had licensed 3 iterations of the title.

Yeah. I mostly posted it because I thought that people would like to whine about it and they have. Everything is once again good and peaceful at the Obs boards.

So what's this with a teddybear launcher? Is it actually gonna be in the game or did Todd Howard just take a turd?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

/snip

So what's this with a teddybear launcher? Is it actually gonna be in the game or did Todd Howard just take a turd?

sorry for the snip, but this way the question stands out more clearly.

The Teddy Bear Launcher actually is in the game. It is just called a Rock-IT-Launcher. You can put anything in it, from rocks to ashtrays to teddy bears. Personally, I think shooting teddy bears at people is stupid and not fun at all, but Todd Howard thinks otherwise...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

So why are you (Dark Raven, Volourn, jaguars4ever, etc) in this thread if you already know how bad it'll be? I mean, you hate Bethesda, you hate Oblivion and you hate everything you know about the game so far. So why keep coming back to repeat it in every thread you find about Fallout 3?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Fallout franchise ended with Tactics.

Why Tactics? While it had a few redeeming qualities, all the robot maps towards the end were retarded and they introduced a new technology cult (reavers or something?) as if such were needed along with the Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave. I think the original intent of Fallout was to establish a sticks-n-stones world where the advanced technology, while existing, was extremely rare. Tactics squelches that idea.

No, the Fallout franchise ends somewhere in the wasteland before you reach China Town...

So why are you (Dark Raven, Volourn, jaguars4ever, etc) in this thread if you already know how bad it'll be? I mean, you hate Bethesda, you hate Oblivion and you hate everything you know about the game so far. So why keep coming back to repeat it in every thread you find about Fallout 3?
Everyone knows the internet is powered entirely by preconceptions and seething hatred.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Its also powered by people who care enough about things to post. I've got no problem with people posting when they've got problems with the way a game is being developed or handled or when a favorite franchise looks like its getting flushed down the toilet. If that is their belief, they should by all means post such if they feel so inclined.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm all for free speech, and if it helps someone to vent, I guess it's OK. I'd just note though that constructive criticism is a lot more interesting for others to read than blind hatred of a game no one's played yet.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm all for free speech, and if it helps someone to vent, I guess it's OK. I'd just note though that constructive criticism is a lot more interesting for others to read than blind hatred of a game no one's played yet.

That's probably pretty true, but eh we probably all fail that test at various points. I know I do. lol.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

When I click on a thread about Fallout 3, I expect it to be a discussion between people interested in the game. Perhaps by sharing links to different previews, screenshots or whatever. Clicking on this Fallout 3 thread is like ten pages of Jaesun mocking the game in every way, even with blatant lies about the game, and the same haters trying to trump each other in superlatives about how bad this game will be and how right they themselves must be for being negative from the start.

And trying to disguise the bitterness by calling it care is equally pathetic.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Same reason a racist rants on their topic, constantly trying to justify a dislike or hatred for something they know little to nothing about.

It's smacks of ignorance, what shocks me is that I have this sick feeling that despite everything the people who have already decided to hate the game will buy the game if only so they can play the game and hate it even more for not being the game that they want it to be, because they have such beloved memories of fallout 1 & 2.

Even if Fallout 3 was the best thing since <insert hedonistic pleasure of your choice here>, they're still going to hate it, because they can't actually accept that they were wrong, they'll be all over it like a fly on **** when its released moaning constantly about its every flaw.

Fallout frankly, ain't anything more than average.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

"you hate everything you know about the game so far."

Your pathetic attacks aside, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. There are things I like what I'm hearing/reading about FO3. Be careful who and what you paint with your ignorant wishy washy brush.

"Fallout frankly, ain't anything more than average."

Good for you.

"It's smacks of ignorance,"

Pot. Kettle. Black.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's better than spamming entire paragraphs where you basically state 'those who disagree with me are dumb and stupid' like you did with your post.

I just get to the point.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And trying to disguise the bitterness by calling it care is equally pathetic.

Well, if you care about someone and they blow you off or dump you or whatever, it can often lead to bitterness, for a while anyway. Its a human failing that we all share. I'm not going to condemn someone for that, personally.

Regardless, there's nothing about this thread that says: "only positive comments, plz"

As WoD says, constructive criticism is probaby more useful and interesting, ideally, but it is certainly not, nor should it be, a requirement for posting. I think.

Well, if you care about someone and they blow you off or dump you or whatever, it can often lead to bitterness, for a while anyway. Its a human failing that we all share. I'm not going to condemn someone for that, personally.

I really shouldn't be stirring this pot but not getting the game you want which never existed in the first place = getting dumped and being heartbroken?

So... priorities?

I wish love really were that easy.

I have little to say to the actual current discussion except deja vu. Haven't we already been here before?

Heh. A lot (but not all) of the negativity online about FO3 *is* pointless, just like how a lot of the positivity (but not all) is mindless. The thing is, when someone is bitter or negative, everybody always asks, "why are you so bitter? stop being so bitter."

Maybe that question could also be directed at the people/things/events that made them bitter in the first place? Or does the fact that they are bitter disqualify them from any such consideration?

It's like watching someone punch your friend twenty times, then you ask your friend, why are you so angry? Stop being so angry. I mean, it's probably a good idea for your friend to calm down (if the puncher is built like an elephant on steroids), but telling him he's a moron and he has no reason to be angry... well, it'll probably get you punched and bitter, too.

There's plenty of reason for people to be provisionally disappointed/bitter and certain wary and pessimistic about the title. After Oblivion, their refusal to show more than baout 2 lines of dialogue and real C&C is certainly worrying, especially cast against all the PR stunts with giant army of BOS and the ridiculous 50USD plastic pipboy clocks. The stunted animations, the 'sweet lulz' emphasis of VATS and the Rock-It-Launcher (as well as som eothers, anybody remember those psychic guns and the other one?) are plenty cause for worry, if you don't like to see bad games get a lot of hype (it's not good for anybody) and if you dont like to see your favourite franchise miss the chance to come good.

Someone could do a Volo (or was it Sand) impersonation and say "if you dont like something just stop talking about it or thinking about it and IT WILL GO AWAY" but well... some people can choose to just do that, other people want to be more involved, if only platonically, in the progress of the field of games... and how can you blame them for that?

I will say that I don't like to see 60 "O GOD BETHESDA SUCKS" posts every time new info comes out, either. But if not all 60 are substantiated... I'd say at least some of them are. I recall lot more favourable reactions when the news wasn't so bad.

Fallout frankly, ain't anything more than average.

Truly, some opinions are wrong in the end.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I really shouldn't be stirring this pot but not getting the game you want which never existed in the first place = getting dumped and being heartbroken?

So... priorities?

I wish love really were that easy.

I have little to say to the actual current discussion except deja vu. Haven't we already been here before?

I wasn't trying to compare a computer game with love directly or equally. I was merely illustrating that bitterness tends to be one of the potential side effects of caring. Somebody who doesn't care will never feel bitterness, because they don't...care.

To be fair, developing for the PS3 has been said by many developers to be a royal pain in the ass. I know Valve won't touch it.

That's because the PC's and Xbox360s have similar processorarchitectures and instructionsets. You pretty much continue as usual and let the compilers worry about the underlying data-flow, parallelism and other synchronizations. On the PS3 however, the PPE has it's own instructionset and the 6 SPEs have another. And oh, the SPEs also have a local memory of their own, very similar to caches actually, and you can assign them directly in your code to do SIMD-instructions and whatnot.

Programming for the SPE requires some serious knowledge, and maybe in Bethesda's and Valve's case, it is simply not worth the investment to do any serious optimizations. From what i gather, many multi-platform games simply only use the PPE-core and leave the other 6 cores in idlemode on the PS3.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's like watching someone punch your friend twenty times, then you ask your friend, why are you so angry? Stop being so angry. I mean, it's probably a good idea for your friend to calm down (if the puncher is built like an elephant on steroids), but telling him he's a moron and he has no reason to be angry... well, it'll probably get you punched and bitter, too.

Nope, it's like watching your friend being angry at Bethesda for walking down the street in a gay fashion and asking your friend "why so Homophobic?". Bethesda, after all isn't attaking anyone they're just doing what they want to do and there is nothing wrong with that unless it is obscene.

I do understand the difference between homophobia and fallout3phobia, by the way, thing is that I just couldn't find an instance of people being angry at things, for not being what they want them to be, to use as an example.

is that I just couldn't find an instance of people being angry at things, for not being what they want them to be, to use as an example.

I'm not saying it is a desireable aspect of human behavior, but it is human. And we are humans, here, mostly. Not vulcans or something with a total iron grip on our emotions.

AT least I'm not a Vulcan.

I'm assuming most of you aren't either.

-_-

is that I just couldn't find an instance of people being angry at things, for not being what they want them to be, to use as an example.

I'm not saying it is a desireable aspect of human behavior, but it is human. And we are humans, here, mostly. Not vulcans or something with a total iron grip on our emotions.

AT least I'm not a Vulcan.

I'm assuming most of you aren't either.

-_-

*sticks out his left tentacle to reassuringly pat ChrashGirl on the back*

There, there. You're among xenos.

If I were a Vulcan I'd give you a neck pinch.