Total War devs go console exclusive

http://kotaku.com/5023875/sega-reveals-console-rts-stormrise

PC fanboys board the crying train to waaahtown

ChooChoo!

“The Creative Assembly have proven their general leadership in developing RTS games through the award winning ‘Total War’ series on PC”, commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe. “However, Stormrise has been built from the ground up specifically for high def consoles to provide a more intense, frenetic style of game that, coupled with the all new control mechanic, will revolutionize the way RTS games are played.”
Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This isnt news, "Viking: battle for asgard" didnt get released for the PC either. And that game pretty much proved that the devs at CA who arent working on total war, are complete idiots. So Im not exactly in tears over this.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The Creative Assembly needs to get back to their roots. They should be making more Rugby games!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well it invalidates the crux of Hell Kitty's argument.

What, you mean like this:

they're more about social gaming, frenetic pace, light-hearted & shallow story and cartoony graphics

Wait, didn't you just describe Diablo 3?

invalidated your argument?

You were obviously never paying any attention if you think I was ever claiming anything close to "PC gamers are exactly the same as console gamers"

Edited by Hell Kitty

Well it invalidates the crux of Hell Kitty's argument.

What, you mean like this:

they're more about social gaming, frenetic pace, light-hearted & shallow story and cartoony graphics

Wait, didn't you just describe Diablo 3?

invalidated your argument?

Definitely not unless my argument was "Diablo 3 isn't a frenetic or social game". Or "PC's don't have any games which share traits in common with games on consoles." :bat:

So, let's hear it: what are your thoughts on this, Dan? Clearly this developer is implying that the console market is different to the PC market in its needs and desires w.r.t. video games, no? Different enough that they felt console gamers would enjoy a game specifically catered for them more than one that tried to juggle PC and Console markets.

You were obviously never paying any attention if you think I was ever claiming anything close to "PC gamers are exactly the same as console gamers"

What, then, do you think those differences are? If the console market is sufficiently different from the PC market to design a game specifically catered for it, as the Stormrise developers clearly feel, then does that not imply that a developer trying to design a game to cater to both markets simultaneously would be making concessions in quality to one market or another - or both, in order to make a solid game that sells well in both markets?

If the console market is sufficiently different from the PC market to design a game specifically catered for it, as the Stormrise developers clearly feel, then does that not imply that a developer trying to design a game to cater to both markets simultaneously would be making concessions in quality to one market or another - or both, in order to make a solid game that sells well in both markets?
You are making the assumption that the game is console-only because of inherent differences in target groups, between console and PC crowds. That may or may not be the case, as other considerations such as development time and costs, market saturation and more that I'm sure that somebody better informed than myself could point out, also play a role.

In short, you are still arguing from the stance that PC and console crowds are fundamentally different somehow, which introduces a bias in your reasoning.

Based on the article it would certainly seem differences in expectations of console gamers and PC gamers is the reason for it being console only. Suppose it is (and I concede there's a degree of ambiguity); where does that leave games designed to cater to both groups at once?

Based on the article it would certainly seem differences in expectations of console gamers and PC gamers is the reason for it being console only. Suppose it is (and I concede there's a degree of ambiguity); where does that leave games designed to cater to both groups at once?

If a single console exclusive was enough to prove that console gamers want something different to PC gamers, then a single multiplatform title would be enough to prove that PC gamers and console gamers all want the same thing.

A game like Deus Ex: Invisible War doesn't prove that multiplatform development is bad any more than a game like Hitman: Blood Money proves that it's good. The quality of a game isn't determined by the hardware it's made for. Games are made multiplatform because they work on variety of systems and are popular with gamers on a number of systems. Games are made multiplatform more now because there isn't such a huge divide between what PC and console hardware can do. And that's not even factoring in the rising popularity of gaming, the rising costs of games production, and the fact that as a business you want to get as many people as possible to consume your product.

Even PC exclusive RPGs like The Witcher and Gothic have more in common with current multiplatform RPGs than they do with PC-centric games like NWN2 or older PC games.

Recently a Blizzard dev spoke about a possible port of Diablo 3 to console, and the need to change the control from point and click with a mouse to direct control with a gamepad. That's it, just a change in controls (and of course the UI), there is nothing else about Diablo that would need to be changed, and any claims that "oh they would probably simplify it for a console" aren't even specific enough to be anything more than pure nonsense.

The problem is your insistence that there are two groups of gamers, and group 1 wants x and group 2 wants y. That simplistic view might work for gaming as a business, where the powers that be decided they want a game to be in genre X because that's currently popular, but it does nothing to show what individual gamers want or like. The fact that turn-based games are rare on PC now doesn't prove that PC gamers don't want turn-based games.

PC gamers, console gamers, handheld gamers, Xbox gamers, Sony gamers, Nintendo gamers, European gamers, North American gamers, Japanese gamers, Eurasian gamers, singleplayer gamers, multiplayer gamers, MMO gamers, war gamers, strategy gamers, action gamers, adventure gamers, roleplaying gamers, rollplaying gamers, Crashgirl, hardcore gamers, casual gamers, old gamers, happy gamers, angry gamers, young gamers, fat gamers, skinny gamers, gamers who climb on rocks...

PC gamers and console gamers don't belong to some sort of hive mind and all want and like the same things. Games don't cater to "both groups at once", they just cater to gamers.

Edited by Hell Kitty