"Rabbit ripper shocks Germany"

Rabbit ripper shocks Germany

By Steve Rosenberg

BBC News, Witten

Seventy-four-year-old Elfriede Dumont invites me into her back garden.

Small and neat, there are little fir trees dotted around the lawn, tubs of flowers on the terrace and rows of firewood stacked neatly by the fence.

There used to be a rabbit hutch, too, at the end of the garden. But not any more.

"One morning, when I came out to feed my rabbits, I was surprised to see that the hutch door was open," recalls Elfriede.

"I looked inside and saw Rocco just lying there. His head was missing. A little later I found Felina in the bushes. She'd been killed, too. I just cannot understand why."

Rocco and Felina are among the 30 pet rabbits killed in the towns of Witten and Dortmund since last summer.

Many of the rabbits have been decapitated and the blood drained from their bodies.

Deadly discovery

It is one of the most shocking cases of animal cruelty that Germans can remember.

"I would never expect something to happen here," says Elfriede's granddaughter, Sabrina.

"This place is so quiet. You can leave your car open and everything's fine. Yet there are people who murder rabbits!"

Sabrina tells me about another incident. She says dead rabbits were discovered in the sandpit of a local school.

"The rabbits were there without any heads and the children found them in the morning while playing in the playground. That's even more horrible than finding them in your own garden."

Down at the police station, officer Volker Schuette shows me disturbing photographs of headless pet rabbits. A gruesome pattern is emerging.

"It's always the same," Officer Schuette explains. "Detectives find the rabbit lying dead in a hutch. An unknown person has cut off the head and drained off the blood in a box or a bottle. So we find no blood and no head."

Police fear the attacker could switch from killing rabbits to killing people.

They have set up a special task force to try to track down the killer.

Satellite spy

They are examining rabbit torsos for possible traces of DNA and they have questioned 300 people. But police admit they still have no idea who is decapitating the rabbits and why.

It is also unclear how the killer has been locating his victims.

Most of the beheaded pets were hidden from public view, locked away in back yards or back gardens.

It has raised the possibility that the killer has been using satellite images on the internet to find houses with rabbit hutches.

On the edge of Witten, rabbit owner Julia Perkun unlocks her new rabbit pen.

She has installed so many locks and latches, it is like a Fort Knox for rabbits.

Inside the enclosure, Julia introduces me to her 13 rabbits which are scurrying across the straw and nibbling at their vegetable breakfast.

Among them are fluffy white Reebok, and Samson, who has big brown ears right down to the ground.

Julia says she chose this remote spot in a forest to keep her rabbits, so that they would be well hidden from the rabbit killer. She asks me not to reveal the exact location.

"This place isn't visible from the street," says Julia, "and I try not to tell anyone where this place is. People know that I have rabbits, but I don't tell anyone where this place is, so I hope my rabbits are safe."

Fear is driving German rabbit-owners to hide their pets away in the woods, like Julia, or in their garages, or in cellars.

The pet rabbits of the Ruhr Valley are being forced to go to ground, while the killer is still at large.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7494184.stm

:(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You shouldn't be so proud of this Nightshade

seriously all Germans be on the lookout for this guy, probably armed and hilarious

Elmer.gif

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Probably a something sprung from a "I dare you"-moment at /b/ at 4chan.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Damn dirty Spaniard....

It is interesting that Google Maps might have helped this person commit acts that otherwise they'd have a hard time knowing where to direct their hostility.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I ****ing hate rabbits. (minus Max )

In other words this = lulz

Probably a something sprung from a "I dare you"-moment at /b/ at 4chan.

Quite possible, though skull**** still wins :p

....wait wait, that added with my opinion on rabbits and the fact I just spent week in Germany... :ermm:

(what's that police car doing in front of my house anyway?)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS! Where's my gun?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

How can you HATE rabbits? I mean I've eaten hundreds of them, but hate them?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I mean I've eaten hundreds of them

I am shocked and appalled.

I grew up near farm land. The farmer used to give them away for free.

I'm not condoning eating people's pets, however. I'm saving up for a pet pig, and would be distressed if anyone ate him.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

All jokes aside, it is commonly accepted that future serial killers will target small-to-mid-size animals, like dogs, cats, or rabbits, before they branch out and start victimizing humans. Unless there is someone with a disturbing fetish for bunny blood and brains, it seems that this could be the case. :cat:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm not condoning eating people's pets, however. I'm saving up for a pet pig, and would be distressed if anyone ate him.

How would you like it if I commented on devouring men who smoke pipes?

Edited by Tale

How would you like it if I commented on devouring men who smoke pipes?

You mean like in a zombie thread?

-Elwood Blues