Dragon Age

This is what I've always been saying: it's better to motivate with a carrot than a whip.

nah, carrots are bloody useless for whipping.

god knows i've tried.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

This is what I've always been saying: it's better to motivate with a carrot than a whip. Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend.

The inclusion of a carrot or two does not preclude the use of a whip.

Edited by Deraldin

They had better skip the use of DRM. After the hassles I have had with it while trying to get MEPC to work I am most certainly not buying another game that uses DRM.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

That's a pretty honest and reasonable thing to say. Well, but this won't stop dirtbags that make a habit out of torrenting games just because they can. But the actual buyer-base should still be large enough to warrant a finacial success of DA.

lol.

But dude, you were just recently telling me Blizzard would never make Diablo 3 because WoW makes them more money in a month than it would in 10 years.

Dragon Age would sell millions of copies because it's a Bioware game. They've earnt that reputation at least.

I don't think DA is guaranteed to sell millions. Jade Empire didn't sell that well. Right now all they can really count on is the NWN2 audience. It doesn't feel like there's much hype for the game, perhaps it'll change now that they're starting to release info.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

JE still sold a couple million, I believe. They don't release sales numbers, so it's hard to say for sure, but there was some information out there that it did welle nough to warrant a sequel. Of course, this was an Xbox game originally, so if you are just talking PC numbers you might be right. I doubt any port sells phenomenally.

You can probably gaurantee NWN2 type numbers for the game, maybe a bit higher because of Bioware and the fact that EA will probably get it out and andvertised better than Atari.

"Jade Empire didn't sell that well."

"JE still sold a couple million, I believe."

JE sold 6k copies in the first 6 months of xbox release.

Between the xbox and PC releases I'm sure it sold at least a million. Probably no more than 2.

JE was a solid szeller; but no 'blockbuster'. It definitely was no failure like some goofs try to brag about. Failures don't ge ported. (as opposed to being co devloped huge difference).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't think DA is guaranteed to sell millions. Jade Empire didn't sell that well. Right now all they can really count on is the NWN2 audience. It doesn't feel like there's much hype for the game, perhaps it'll change now that they're starting to release info.

The Witcher sold a million, and that was by a small company with limited hype, word of mouth was enough. Given Bioware is a acclaimed and well known RPG developer, then the fact that its highly likely to appear on PS3 and 360, 3 million+ is very possible, unless it absolutely terrible.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Didn't Baldur's Gate 2 sell 2 million? NWN and expansions 3 million? KotOR 1 did 2 million, and Mass Effect is approaching 2 million as well.

I actually agree with Volourn here :thumbsup: 1-2 million is not excessive by Bioware's standards.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Didn't Baldur's Gate 2 sell 2 million? NWN and expansions 3 million? KotOR 1 did 2 million, and Mass Effect is approaching 2 million as well.

I actually agree with Volourn here >_< 1-2 million is not excessive by Bioware's standards.

KOTOR was a Star Wars license, ME is a console shooter, not a PC exclusive rules based game. Everything else is ancient history, not something you can go by anymore. Also I think you need to sell close to 2 million (before price cut) just to break even on a big budget game these days.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"ME is a console shooter"

ME is an ActioN RPG, and is a supeiror RPG than your precious KOTOR series which is overrated.

"Also I think you need to sell close to 2 million (before price cut) just to break even on a big budget game these days."

Proof, please.

If by ancient history, you mean games a few years ago sold less than games today, you are correct sir.

The entire industry has grown. Sales numbers today are expected to be much higher than NWN or BG2. If it didn't match NWN2, it would be considered a failure.

I don't particularly care if the industry considers a game a failure or success. All I care about is if the game is fun. Let the publishers and developers worry about if a game is a commercial success or not. Its none of our business anyway.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Proof, please. Nobody here knows how much game must sell to be considered a 'success or failure'. Only those in the know would know these required mythical numbers. Are you 'in the know'? No, I don't think so. Only EA, and BIO know how much their DA would need to sell to be a financial success for them.