a few random improvements Kotor 2 suggestions

Imobigai

I think the game would be a lot more fun to play if the combat wasn't so turn-based, kinda like jedi academy. Of course, if you do that it becomes much more difficult to factor in defense rating, character strength, etc., but I think it would improve the game overall. Jedi Academy has the most AMAZING saber combat I've ever seen in a Star Wars game, way better than KotOR, and without any of the statistics factors. Although actually, a lot of it would probably still work, AND everything would be based more on the skill of the player rather than the roll of the dice against his/her stats.

How about if it's gonna be a female character, give her a more feminine name? REVAN just doesn't sound like a name that you'd give a female character. Jedi Academy made the same mistake: their "unisex" name was JADEN KORR. Ouch.

Can we give everybody last names, and not just half the characters? Malak what? Revan what? Juhani what? Vandar? Vrook? Dorak? Let's get a little consistency, shall we?

Improve character customization (ex. height, weight, do face and hair separately, etc.).

Boost attributes more often.

Oh, and one more thing...

Orange lightsabers. Also, silver-gray. And can we make the double-bladed ones close down to single mode?

OK, so that was three things.....wait it was when i first started

I think the game would be a lot more fun to play if the combat wasn't so turn-based, kinda like jedi academy. Of course, if you do that it becomes much more difficult to factor in defense rating, character strength, etc., but I think it would improve the game overall. Jedi Academy has the most AMAZING saber combat I've ever seen in a Star Wars game, way better than KotOR, and without any of the statistics factors. Although actually, a lot of it would probably still work, AND everything would be based more on the skill of the player rather than the roll of the dice against his/her stats.

Then it wouldn't be an RPG.

I think as much graphical customization as possible would be a definite plus. I'm thinking of some sort of simple program, such as Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004. I want to have as close to the exact look as possible.

Other than that, I disagree about the whole two name issue. It's quite likely that, in a diverse society, some folks would not be known by more than one name. Some folks would have a long list of names but one name will be common and the others well hidden. Hell, who knows what the conventions would be regarding names? It just seems odd that the designers should aim for uniformity where it would be unlikely to exist.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think the game would be a lot more fun to play if the combat wasn't so turn-based, kinda like jedi academy.  Of course, if you do that it becomes much more difficult to factor in defense rating, character strength, etc., but I think it would improve the game overall.  Jedi Academy has the most AMAZING saber combat I've ever seen in a Star Wars game, way better than KotOR, and without any of the statistics factors.  Although actually, a lot of it would probably still work, AND everything would be based more on the skill of the player rather than the roll of the dice against his/her stats.

Sounds like you should try Rune instead of crpg's. It's a very good FPS (First Person Slasher) with sword and axe combat. Weapons can be wielded or thrown. Bonuses for chopped off heads and limbs, and severed limbs can be wielded as clubs (I tried beating an opponent to death with his own arm once) :D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think the game would be a lot more fun to play if the combat wasn't so turn-based

It doesn't really feel TB at all, but yeah, sure.

Of course, if you do that it becomes much more difficult to factor in defense rating, character strength, etc., but I think it would improve the game overall. Jedi Academy has the most AMAZING saber combat I've ever seen in a Star Wars game, way better than KotOR, and without any of the statistics factors. Although actually, a lot of it would probably still work, AND everything would be based more on the skill of the player rather than the roll of the dice against his/her stats.

Those factors aren't hard to factor in, the problem is making the game appeal to the RPG fan and the twitch gamer. Morrowind managed to pull it off on one hand (some twitch elements with stats and skills), but the end result was arguably flawed.

But KoTOR doesn't feel like a SW game as far as combat goes, something Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy pulled off very well. The dynamic and fast-paced combat, plus very well done lightsaber implementation are a big plus for it to feel like an SW game.

Sounds like you should try Rune instead of crpg's. It's a very good FPS (First Person Slasher) with sword and axe combat. Weapons can be wielded or thrown. Bonuses for chopped off heads and limbs, and severed limbs can be wielded as clubs (I tried beating an opponent to death with his own arm once) :D

Rune was in Third person...

Sounds like you should try Rune instead of crpg's. It's a very good FPS (First Person Slasher) with sword and axe combat. Weapons can be wielded or thrown. Bonuses for chopped off heads and limbs, and severed limbs can be wielded as clubs (I tried beating an opponent to death with his own arm once)  :D

Rune was in Third person...

Urghh... so it is. Bad memory (blame it on my age ;) )

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe if they made it possible for the player to choose which kind of combat they wanted? Turn based for people who think role playing games are defined by not having to do a single thing in combat bseides watch, and action combat (like Jedi Academy) for people who like to partake in their gaming experience? I wonder if it would be too difficult to code two combat systems into one game? They've both been done already, so it feels like it shouldn't be too hard, but since I'm no game designer what do I know?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gee, I wonder which style of combat you prefer...

I fail to see how frantically bashing my keyboard and maneuvering with the arrow keys is more tantamount to 'partaking in the gaming experience' than something like the combat in JA2.

There is such a thing as strategy, tactics, and the like.

Maybe if they made it possible for the player to choose which kind of combat they wanted? Turn based for people who think role playing games are defined by not having to do a single thing in combat bseides watch, and action combat (like Jedi Academy) for people who like to partake in their gaming experience? I wonder if it would be too difficult to code two combat systems into one game? They've both been done already, so it feels like it shouldn't be too hard, but since I'm no game designer what do I know?

It probably would be too much programming info for one game to hold two entirely different combat setups with the same storyline and cut scenes, but it would definitely be cool. Of course, I'm sure Bioware passed off a lot of their programming code to Obsidian, which means they probably don't have to do much to set up a similar combat configuration to what we saw in KotOR. Still, the KotOR storyline with Jedi Academy's combat setup... ::drools profusely::

Think it is better to keep the combat like it was, but make ranged fire more dangerous. It was rediculus that it generaly was better to equip melee weapons with the fighter types NPC then using large ranged weapons. A Jedi would of course still be good in melee with lightsabres that can reflect blasters.

If they could make the fighting animations a bit more dynamic it would be great.