Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

You didn't miss much there, SCII wears out very quickly.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well, and what if you're in a plane or train or some hotel that hasn't WiFi? Can't play Diablo 3 there.
That's so very relevant question, because that's exactly what I think when I'm buying games; "What if I decide to take a trip in a train, would I still play this game?".

This is what your complaint sounds like:

"I have to keep my PC plugged in to the power outlet in order to play? Outrageous!"

...and nobody said anything, because it didn't affect me. When they started demanding that your webcam was on all the time, so they could watch your behavior while playing, nobody said anything, because it didn't... etc.

It's just as much about moving borders and thresholds for what is acceptable.

Wait, let me get my tinfoil hat before we talk about this, you never know who's listening.

On a more serious note, requirement for internet connection is a DRM sceme, which I gladly accept over installing some dubious 3rd party software that checks god knows what from my computer.

Edited by trulez

On a more serious note, requirement for internet connection is a DRM sceme, which I gladly accept over installing some dubious 3rd party software that checks god knows what from my computer.

It is also increasingly becoming a data mining tool. All for the improved customer experience of course... :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's a difference between those two ? Hmmm...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always online huh ?

Don't have to buy this game then as I don't care about multiplayer at all (several years in WoW were enough and I did enjoy that ride). Always online for singleplayer game is something that I just can't support.

What kind of ****ty internet connection do you have that isn't always online ?

"I have to keep my PC plugged in to the power outlet in order to play? Outrageous!"

Because in these modern times internet connections have about the same uptime as your power does, it's maybe down couple hours a year during a storm.

Yeah, and don't forget the option that the companies can always go bankrupt in a way that doesn't allow one screaming employee to flick the "EOL" switch, while the Red Guard is carrying him out of his office! :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It is also increasingly becoming a data mining tool. All for the improved customer experience of course... :)

Do you have cookies enabled on your browser? That's a data mining tool.

Do you use Steam ? That's a data mining tool.

Do you shread all your mail before tossing it ? Someone could be mining your datas.

Do you use Google ? Guess what, they're mining your datas too.

It's healthy to be slightly paranoid about what goes on around you, but I think you guys are taking it just a bit too far. When you start fearing the boogey man is running your favourite game company (Blizzard) it's time to see a doctor.

(the word "datas" is a reference to Stephen Colberts use of the phrase "unlimited monies", not a grammatical error)

Edited by trulez

Do you shread all your mail before tossing it ? Someone could be mining your datas.

Steam rather reluctantly because it's the only platform for launching FO:NV , although it's in offline mode by default.

I have nice file shredders and real world physical document shredders which I use regularly.

I use google for searches. Yes, I know they do profiling on just about anything. Were you thinking of google analytics which just about every second website is hooked up to? In that case, NoScript blocks it.

As for cookies, I allow them where it's convenient (like these forums), for the rest, there are disposable virtual machines.

Paranoid? Maybe, don't know. I give out info on a need to know basis :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Steam rather reluctantly because it's the only platform for launching FO:NV , although it's in offline mode by default.

I have nice file shredders and real world physical document shredders which I use regularly.

I use google for searches. Yes, I know they do profiling on just about anything. Were you thinking of google analytics which just about every second website is hooked up to? In that case, NoScript blocks it.

As for cookies, I allow them where it's convenient (like these forums), for the rest, there are disposable virtual machines.

Paranoid? Maybe, don't know. I give out info on a need to know basis :)

That's pretty much me as well. I installed Steam because New Vegas was wrapped in it ~and that's the only reason. I use it for demoing games sometimes, but I'd buy the retail box [non-steam] if I decided I liked the game.

(I also have a shredder, and I use Noscript, and I use Ghostery ~set to block everything possible.)

**With the advent of D3's requiring a dedicated internet connection, and storing characters on their servers... I think I have re-evaluated my interest in buying D3. I like Boyarski's work, but that by itself is not enough; I think I'll pass this time. :) (and just watch the Lets-Plays on Youtube; Its a shame.. I was really looking forward to it.)

Edited by Gizmo

I am glad to hear that. Having decided to forego the game in spite of thinking it would be a masterpiece (as Starcraft I was), it is, nonetheless, good to hear that perhaps I didn't miss all that much.

Right, so Emperor said so, and you're already satisfied so easily?

How about you get some more diverse opinions/reviews before you write off a game?

Either way, SCII is superb (imho, of course).

Always online huh ?

Don't have to buy this game then as I don't care about multiplayer at all (several years in WoW were enough and I did enjoy that ride). Always online for singleplayer game is something that I just can't support.

What kind of ****ty internet connection do you have that isn't always online ?

Because in these modern times internet connections have about the same uptime as your power does, it's maybe down couple hours a year during a storm.

Depends, on business I can be in downtown L.A. and I've had internet go down there quite regularly in the hotels. You'd have to ask them why their internet goes down so much. It's right in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US.

In Montana, it's actually more understandable.

On the South East, it seems to go down about two to three times a week for around an hour or two, normally right around thunderstorms. We'll get a powerspike, that will cause power to flicker, but then it's like the entire internet hub or something dies a little while later.

So...not quite like keeping the PC plugged in to play...and with a Laptop I don't even need one to be plugged in.

On the actual topic, D3 is now an MMO. Face it, just like many others it's just a free to play MMO (though they even have a monetary plan in place with the RMT AH). At least that's what it's sounding like. They just aren't calling it an MMO, but it bears all the hallmarks of one at this point.

IF they just went ahead and called it an MMO less people would probably be calling Blizzard out on it, they would still be upset with Blizzard departing from the SP portion of Diablo 3, but at least they wouldn't feel as wronged by Blizzard. I think this is more a deal of people outraged by Blizzard's dishonesty on the topic (a traditional SP game that's completely online and integrated into Co-Op, only on and saved by their servers...that's not really a traditional SP game now is it...more like an MMO that you can solo).

Edited by greylord

I am glad to hear that. Having decided to forego the game in spite of thinking it would be a masterpiece (as Starcraft I was), it is, nonetheless, good to hear that perhaps I didn't miss all that much.

How about you get some more diverse opinions/reviews before you write off a game?

Well my beef with it was as follows:

1. cliche upon cliche in the campaign - characters, plot twists, overall storyline etc. resulting in the game being completely predictable at every turn (my biggest gripe overall)

2. missions that revolved around using a single new unit

3. WCIII comic style gaudy graphics and animation negatively impacted the atmosphere

4. weak visual unit design (mothership, protoss carriers, humpty-dumpty with grenade launcher [marauder] etc.)

5. uninspired units (flamethrower buggy? please)

All this caused me to lose interest quickly.

On the actual topic, D3 is now an MMO. Face it, just like many others it's just a free to play MMO (though they even have a monetary plan in place with the RMT AH). At least that's what it's sounding like. They just aren't calling it an MMO, but it bears all the hallmarks of one at this point.
It's not really MMO now is it ? I mean the name gives it a away, Massive Multiplayer Online, there are no Masses that you could play with simultanously. It certainly is Multiplayer Online but those games, and there are many others, have never had any designation indicating they feature multiplayer. There is no Darkspore MO, Starcraft MO or Battlefield MO and there definitely should not be Diablo 3 MO.

I think it's vast improvement over normal single player because it offers everything your run of the mill SP would, and more (AH, cloud saves, co-op, social network).

Edited by trulez

Depends, on business I can be in downtown L.A. and I've had internet go down there quite regularly in the hotels. You'd have to ask them why their internet goes down so much. It's right in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US.

... I'm speechless. I didn't think anyone could actually try sneaking hotel internet by as a good example of connection unreliability. I stand corrected.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well he is kind of right. Having beaten SC2's unit tutorial/campaign, didn't get much fun out of it. Perhaps my dislike of multiplayer helped to that though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh, SupCom/FA was better. o:) The TW games aren't really an RTS game, anyway (and hardly boring to me but eh tastes differ). I should bother my Blizzard friend and see if I can get keys off her

Edited by Malcador

I had already written the game off due to the online requirements. Emperor's (and others') opinions of the game not being as stellar as anticipated by its Starcraft I predecessor merely 'satisfy' me in the regard that I haven't missed all that much. Even had the game been stellar (and I had assumed it would be stellar based on Starcraft I and Blizzard's reputation), I wouldn't have bought it due to its online requirements. It is the same with Diablo III - unless the online requirements change (and I think we can be pretty confident they won't), I simply won't purchase it, no matter how awesome the game may be otherwise - and again, based on Blizzard's reputation and Diablo II, the superb predecessor, I am assuming it will be an excellent game.

I wasn't as exhilarated about SC2's campaign as I was back then over SC1's, but still, it's the best friggin' RTS since a long long time (and no, I don't play Total Bore series).

Its not the best RTS, its the only pure RTS in years barring the never ending WWII crap that's shoveled on our heads.

The genre is practically dead in favor of various hybrid options.

SCII is a good game, I ain't saying otherwise. But one week is how much I played it overall. If the next expansion offers a more involved story and changes some units around I might be interested again, if only to bring back the RTS nostalgia.

RTS has always been a dominantly multiplayer genre, uninspired single player is practically a standard feature of most RTS's. As I don't play competitively SCII really only had the campaign to draw me in and it failed, more or less.

Either that or exceptionally appealing graphics and gameplay like Age of Empires II, Dawn of War, Homeworld...