Diablo 3 Officially Announced

Humodour

It's probably the only MMO that really doesn't actually require you to actually interact with any other human in the game world.

by the way, this is exactly how I played WoW... I'd gotten to lv.50 before it got really boring. seriously, the zones are too small, the mobs too few, the quests too repetitive. playing it as a single-player game (I wanted to fill the void between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3) is a miserable attempt at a computer game. definitely not WoW's strengths.

Yet you seem to think that WoW is about running dungeons with people to get that 0.3% drop item that you need. WoW is very different now.

Yet you seem to think that WoW is about running dungeons with people to get that 0.3% drop item that you need. WoW is very different now.

So it's not an endless loot grind now ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So it's not an endless loot grind now ?

If that's your criteria, WoW and Diablo are virtually identical games.

The loot grind for endgame stuff is still there, but you're given currency and tokens that can be used for gear that you want. Currency is typically handed out per boss. The tokens are dropped for particular sections of gear (chest, shoulder, etc.) and apply to a variety of classes from specific bosses. That is, boss X will drop the shoulder token. That token can be used by Death Knights, Druid, Rogues, and Warriors (for example). You take that token and turn it in for the class specific gear that you wear.

They cleaned up a lot of the drops.

Though my info may be a bit outdated as I just picked up cataclysm and haven't done much instancing yet.

Well I'm playing it right now :) They have made the grind a lot less painful, but at the same time a lot more noticeable (still overall a good thing, really). Collecting tokens is a visible progress marker, at least it is for me. But still, is a loot grind.

Ah, back in the day when you saw a guy with Rivendare's Charger, that was something to be impressed by. Well as much as being on the right side of two RNGs is impressive, anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rare loot is good when you see 10 people with the same dragon mount, or watch a parade of people all wearing the same gear :)

Mind you, can't avoid that totally.

• 1 month later...

was there ever doubt in anybody's mind about it?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Then lesser gamers

The technical term is "groundling".

Can be modified with either "peasant" or "hoi polloi"

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Then lesser gamers

Slowtrain, you have a near 5000 post-count and are a consistent voice of wisdom and reason on this forum yet you do not have a custom rank / title.

This is a complete travesty, given some of the other crazies who have been so honoured. I might start a petition or something.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Then lesser gamers

Slowtrain, you have a near 5000 post-count and are a consistent voice of wisdom and reason on this forum yet you do not have a custom rank / title.

This is a complete travesty, given some of the other crazies who have been so honoured. I might start a petition or something.

Uh, Custom titles are given to those who've been mods before, or won a contest basically....

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

that doesn't mean Slowtrains isn't worthy of a custom title :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

seems fair that 5000 honest posts should be sufficient to name yourself whatever you want.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 5 months later...

How much real world money do you people think it'll be possible to earn?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Executive vice president of game design Rob Pardo notes that the wealth of improvements and features Diablo 3 brings to Battle.net necessitate the always-online requirement. Specific additions that he refers to include:

A persistent friends list.

Cross-game chat via the RealID system.

Persistent characters that are stored server-side (no more having to play online once every 90 days, nor item duplication cheats).

Persistent party system.

Player-versus-player and public game matchmaking.

Dynamic drop-in/out for co-op

Larger item stash that gets shared among all of your characters (at the moment, up to 10)

The auction house, outlined here.

The Achievement system and detailed stat-tracking, both of which feed into the final point:

The Banner system, a visual way to display your prowess in the game. Banners start out like emblems, where you can choose from an array of symbols, patterns, and overall shape/design. Then, you can tweak its appearance through Achievements and other accomplishments. Examples Pardo cites include whether the character is in Hardcore mode, how many Achievements have been earned, how many PVP victories, and so forth. Additionally, the Banners also have gameplay features; in-game, rather than use Town Portal, you can click on a player's Banner to instantly teleport over to said player.

While Pardo recognizes that people sometimes want or need to play offline (such as internet outages, or playing on a laptop during an airplane flight), he notes that the increased security, plus benefits like the above, outweigh those other concerns. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that."

Always online huh ?

Don't have to buy this game then as I don't care about multiplayer at all (several years in WoW were enough and I did enjoy that ride). Always online for singleplayer game is something that I just can't support.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

So I'm hearing about this stuff this morning. I was already losing interest a bit with the direction Activision/Blizzard seems to be going in, and this kind of tips me over the edge.

I won't be buying the game. Bah humbug. Actually the real-money thing bothers me not too much...no one's being forced to use that trade option (plus I don't trade much personally, anyway). But no offline/always online...boo. Stop pretending and make Diblo3 a MMO to replace your aging WoW then.

Bah...I suspect in another decade I'll have quit games entirely. Oh well, by then I'll be sitting around a table drinking rum & playing bridge & tiddlywinks with other aging coots, anyway. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Always online huh ?

Don't have to buy this game then as I don't care about multiplayer at all (several years in WoW were enough and I did enjoy that ride). Always online for singleplayer game is something that I just can't support.

Ow, that's a killer for me as well.

Pity.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.