Hail Lightside!

Before you read: This is a RP (Role-play) thread. I don't want Light Side/Dark Side fanbois in this topic spamming insulting remarks about why they think their side is better. Debate in a role-playing fashion, this could be quite fun! :)

The year is 507 ABY, Historians and Scholars from all around the galaxy have gathered for a debate on Coruscant. Some support the Sith Ways, some support the Jedi Ways. I support the Jedi.

Long live the Jedi Order!

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that the Light has always prevailed?

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that the Sith (aside from Sidious) have never brought the Republic to its knees?

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that your so called "Better Code than the Jedi's" only leads your order to destruction.

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that you must lure Jedi into believing it is in order to convince them to turn from the Light? If it was stronger, then everyone would know it.

If the Jedi were evil as you always made them out to be to your victims, why is it that not once did the Jedi every overthrow a government and assume control. Why have the Jedi never dominated any territory aside from their Temple. Why have the Jedi never governed someone else outside their order. Give me one instance of a Jedi (not fallen) that has started a galactic-wide war. Give me one example of a Jedi Council that has ordered Genocide numbering in the billions.

Your Dark Side may only seem stronger because you drop the Jedi teachings. You embrace your emotions thus gaining your full potential more quickly than a Jedi. You have gained your full potential at the cost of your destiny. You are now owned by your own ambitions.

The entire Sith principal is flawed. You cannot harness the force to the point where you can be the single most powerful person in the Universe. There will always be someone who will rise up and challenge you, whether another Sith or a Jedi. The Sith will never permanently rule, the good will always endure, because thats what it does best.

Debate.

Because Lucas wanted it that way, and others have continued the trend - plus they might lose sales if the "good" side did not win. :)

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that the Sith (aside from Sidious) have never brought the Republic to its knees?

Have you not heard of Darth Reven?! :ermm:

The Sith will never permanently rule, the good will always endure, because thats what it does best.

Bull****. Your view of "good" might be different from my own - and thus your "good" prevailing might be my "bad" taking control.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Because Lucas wanted it that way, and others have continued the trend - plus they might lose sales if the "good" side did not win. :)

The Sith will never permanently rule, the good will always endure, because thats what it does best.

Bull****. Your view of "good" might be different from my own - and thus your "good" prevailing might be my "bad" taking control.

1. :D, you ignored the whole idea of the post. There are people out there that will always argue the Dark Side is stronger. You could answer any argument to any story by simply saying (The Author Wanted it that way!) Doh

2. Darth Revan is an iffy subject. It can be argued that he was both Dark Sided and Light Sided, or if you play the non-canonical KOTOR just Dark Sided the whole way through. Even with his power as the Dark Lord he still had a weakness. Bastila and and some Jedi borded his flagship and fought him, and due to the (As I mentioned Earlier) Sith lifestyle, Revan's not so loyal apprentice betrayed him.

3. My view of good is perfectly obvious. A republic/democracy instead of some Sith Emperor who believes if you can't fend for yourself you should just take a blaster shot the head and save someone else some trouble.

Edited by Albion72

There are people out there that will always argue the Dark Side is stronger.

It is, in many ways, stronger - the Sith lifestyle, however, could be improved. :ermm:

My view of good is perfectly obvious. A republic/democracy instead of some Sith Emperor who believes if you can't fend for yourself you should just take a blaster shot the head and save someone else some trouble.

So you would like a corrupt, weak institution run by those who have the money, or power, to bribe those in office? That is what the Old Republic was and the New Republic is becoming. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There are people out there that will always argue the Dark Side is stronger.

It is, in many ways, stronger - the Sith lifestyle, however, could be improved. o:)

My view of good is perfectly obvious. A republic/democracy instead of some Sith Emperor who believes if you can't fend for yourself you should just take a blaster shot the head and save someone else some trouble.

So you would like a corrupt, weak institution run by those who have the money, or power, to bribe those in office? That is what the Old Republic was and the New Republic is becoming. :)

Give me a corrupt example of the Republic.

If thinly spreading their army and getting owned because they want to protect their worlds then no.

Give me a corrupt example of the Republic.

Read some of the books set in the Old Republic or Galactic Republic; If you do, you will quickly find all the references you could want. :)

-Hurlshot

It hasn't always. The fight between Jedi (LS) and Sith (DS) is the fight between good and evil, which is an eternal struggle with temporary defeats and wins for both sides in a war, where neither side will ever truly prevail.

If the Dark Side is stronger, why is it that your so called "Better Code than the Jedi's" only leads your order to destruction.

Because those who follow the Dark Side know no trust - they had to betray and abuse others to get the power they have, and so they expect the same from everyone else, and usually with good reason too. The Sith 'Rule of Two' would seem to have beeninstituted because many sith lords invariably results in constant in-fighting, but even if it prevents at least some of it, it also keeps those at the top in power and so prevents those below from achieving their true potential. And if they do, they do so by killing and replacing those in power, which means that either way, the Sith are not all they can be. Yet despite that, the DS seems able to hold its own against the LS at every turn.

Conclusion: The dark side is stronger, but it can never reach its full potential, because it can know no trust. The LS endures in spite being weaker, because it knows trust and so the jedi can cooperate to overcome the sith.

So, the OP is roleplaying a Jedi fanboy trying to debate against Sith fanboys over the holonet?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The fight between Jedi (LS) and Sith (DS) is the fight between good and evil...

No, no, no! It is a battle between what is often perceived as good and what is often perceived as evil. Personally, I believe the entire world, thanks to the way it was introduced, has a major bias towards the "Darkside" that will be very hard to overcome. :ermm:

-Hurlshot

The fight between Jedi (LS) and Sith (DS) is the fight between good and evil...

No, no, no! It is a battle between what is often perceived as good and what is often perceived as evil. Personally, I believe the entire world, thanks to the way it was introduced, has a major bias towards the "Darkside" that will be very hard to overcome. :ermm:

And you're just stupid then

SW is black and white

There is BAD, and there is GOOD

Oh, and siths are ridiculous, moronic and without any depth in their philosophy. Something jedis - for all their faults - at least have

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

There is BAD, and there is GOOD

I disagree. While it may seem that way, this is only because the movies showed that kind of system. :ermm:

This is because GL governs the laws of this particular universe and one of these laws happens to be "Thou shalt live amidst absolute morality".

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Well, in the newest wave of books, although I will admit that I have only skimmed them, and in some games -id est Kot0R II- things are less black and white.

-Hurlshot

KotOR II could be considered as heretic to SW canon in many, many ways.

I wonder if this nature of plot and themes is one of ther reason why LA is so reluctant in giving OE second chance.

Once again, I will state my reasons why I think the Light Side is stronger.

1. Although the Light Side takes longer (you don't gain instant power through surrendering to your passions like the Dark Side, you must be very patient), you still attain the same measure of "power" a Sith will gain. It may not be in the form of Force Storm but it will be in the form of buffs/power-ups/enhancements (See KOTOR and KOTOR II's Light Side force powers for examples).

2. As stated above, you DON'T surrender to your passion. You are not a slave of the Dark Side, the Light Side does not dominate your life. In fact, I believe you are made even STRONGER by resisting such passion... whereas a Sith will give in and surrender to his emotions a Jedi will fight against them, strengthening his resolve and mental/force strength. As time goes by, a Jedi will become a great warrior.

3. Take the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight as an example. Anakin had just turned to the Dark Side, Obi-Wan hadn't. Yet Obi-Wan still defeated Anakin. (Although the fight was intensely close in some areas).

4. Yoda can absorb Force Lightning (GO DARK SIDE, your LIGHTNING IS USELESS AGAINST A WISE JEDI). Sidious had a handle to grab onto during that fight whereas poor Yoda just got blown off the Senate pad.

*Note* Someone will most likely disagree that the Dark Side doesn't dominate you once you surrender to it. Remember that Luke turned to the Dark Side in order to get close to Palpatine, but it was extremely difficult for him to be redeemed. Leia had to threaten herself (I may have that detail wrong, been awhile :D).

5. Because the Jedi are selfess, they are fully willing to sacrifice themselves in a duel with a Sith/Dark Jedi. No, I'm not talking about a Jihad sacrifice, I mean that a Jedi isn't concerned so much about how his condition ends up, all he cares about is making sure that evil is defeated, no matter if it costs his life. The determination is greater in my opinion. The Revolutionary War is a good example. Britain was the strongest country in the world but the Patriots' determination was so great that with a good general (Washington) they were able to overthrow the Brits, and here I am today. A Sith isn't selfless and only cares about his own well - being, if faced with defeat and a chance to escape, he will cower and run. (Sidious would have fled from Yoda, see that part in the movie for details).

In my honest opinion - you are not made stronger by giving into temptation.

However, props to Sidious' ingenious planning and execution when bringing down the Republic. Pretty damn good ideas.

Edited by Albion72

Errrg... You are using the well known fallacies "post hoc ergo propter hoc*" and "**** hoc ergo propter hoc" when examining data. While you might have the grounds for a correlation argument, you need to provide more data.

A occurred, then B occurred.

Therefore, A caused B.

For example, Obi-Wan defeated Darth Vader; thus Jedi are stronger than Sith.

-Hurlshot

Indeed

It's not like one side is stronger than other

It all depends on individuals who channel the force and their capabilities

The Schwartz is stronger than both.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Guest The Architect
So, the OP is roleplaying a Jedi fanboy trying to debate against Sith fanboys over the holonet?

You are correct, sir.

Popcorn anyone?

Popcorn's for losers. Real people eat gummy bears!

And the "Jedi, Sith and grey side are all gay" side > all.

That is all.

Edited by The Architect

1. Although the Light Side takes longer (you don't gain instant power through surrendering to your passions like the Dark Side, you must be very patient), you still attain the same measure of "power" a Sith will gain. It may not be in the form of Force Storm but it will be in the form of buffs/power-ups/enhancements (See KOTOR and KOTOR II's Light Side force powers for examples).

2. As stated above, you DON'T surrender to your passion. You are not a slave of the Dark Side, the Light Side does not dominate your life. In fact, I believe you are made even STRONGER by resisting such passion... whereas a Sith will give in and surrender to his emotions a Jedi will fight against them, strengthening his resolve and mental/force strength. As time goes by, a Jedi will become a great warrior.

3. Take the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight as an example. Anakin had just turned to the Dark Side, Obi-Wan hadn't. Yet Obi-Wan still defeated Anakin. (Although the fight was intensely close in some areas).

4. Yoda can absorb Force Lightning (GO DARK SIDE, your LIGHTNING IS USELESS AGAINST A WISE JEDI). Sidious had a handle to grab onto during that fight whereas poor Yoda just got blown off the Senate pad.

*Note* Someone will most likely disagree that the Dark Side doesn't dominate you once you surrender to it. Remember that Luke turned to the Dark Side in order to get close to Palpatine, but it was extremely difficult for him to be redeemed. Leia had to threaten herself (I may have that detail wrong, been awhile :D).

5. Because the Jedi are selfess, they are fully willing to sacrifice themselves in a duel with a Sith/Dark Jedi. No, I'm not talking about a Jihad sacrifice, I mean that a Jedi isn't concerned so much about how his condition ends up, all he cares about is making sure that evil is defeated, no matter if it costs his life. The determination is greater in my opinion. The Revolutionary War is a good example. Britain was the strongest country in the world but the Patriots' determination was so great that with a good general (Washington) they were able to overthrow the Brits, and here I am today. A Sith isn't selfless and only cares about his own well - being, if faced with defeat and a chance to escape, he will cower and run. (Sidious would have fled from Yoda, see that part in the movie for details).

However, props to Sidious' ingenious planning and execution when bringing down the Republic. Pretty damn good ideas.

1. Don't bring video game powers into this, those powers were put in there to balance out the game so that light sided people would not be too weak to finish the game. Also, the Sith gain the amount of power in a short time that it takes a Jedi his life to attain, so you will obviously have more powerful Sith than powerful Jedi.

2. You ARE a slave to the lightside, more so than any Sith has ever been to the Dark Side. A Jedi are limited by the strictest rules and their own morals, while nothing holds back the Sith and they have the freedom to do anything to accomplish their goals. Take for example the fight between Mace Windu and Palpatine. Palpatine was defeated and instead of mercilously striking down his foe as any Sith would, Windu was held back by the Jedi regulations that would not allow him to kill. Although he did decide to break those restrictions, the time he wasted stalling was all that was needed for soon-to-be Darth Vader to step in and attack Windu.

3. Anakin was much younger than Obi-Wan, the reason it was such a close fight. Obi-Wan had a much longer time to train his abilities, but he was only barely able to defeat Anakin because Anakin was using the power of the Dark Side.

4. Yoda was incredibly powerful in the force and had 800-900 years to perfect his abilities. I have not seen any other Jedi able to do such a thing. I don't really remember the fight except that Yoda didn't really have much of a chance anyway.

5. This point I don't think can really aply to either group as a whole. The amount of bravery or cowardice is not the same across every member of the Sith/Jedi groups. You have to look at individuals' personalities seperately. I actually think that the Sith are less cowardly as a whole because Sith have nothing to fear; they are the most feared group in Star Wars history.

I think that pretty nicely covered all of your arguments.

Because Lucas wanted it that way, and others have continued the trend - plus they might lose sales if the "good" side did not win. :(

1. :D, you ignored the whole idea of the post. There are people out there that will always argue the Dark Side is stronger. You could answer any argument to any story by simply saying (The Author Wanted it that way!) Doh

2. Darth Revan is an iffy subject. It can be argued that he was both Dark Sided and Light Sided, or if you play the non-canonical KOTOR just Dark Sided the whole way through. Even with his power as the Dark Lord he still had a weakness. Bastila and and some Jedi borded his flagship and fought him, and due to the (As I mentioned Earlier) Sith lifestyle, Revan's not so loyal apprentice betrayed him.

3. My view of good is perfectly obvious. A republic/democracy instead of some Sith Emperor who believes if you can't fend for yourself you should just take a blaster shot the head and save someone else some trouble.

It doesnt matter he still was the dark lord at one point in time.

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

1. Don't bring video game powers into this, those powers were put in there to balance out the game so that light sided people would not be too weak to finish the game. Also, the Sith gain the amount of power in a short time that it takes a Jedi his life to attain, so you will obviously have more powerful Sith than powerful Jedi.

2. You ARE a slave to the lightside, more so than any Sith has ever been to the Dark Side. A Jedi are limited by the strictest rules and their own morals, while nothing holds back the Sith and they have the freedom to do anything to accomplish their goals. Take for example the fight between Mace Windu and Palpatine. Palpatine was defeated and instead of mercilously striking down his foe as any Sith would, Windu was held back by the Jedi regulations that would not allow him to kill. Although he did decide to break those restrictions, the time he wasted stalling was all that was needed for soon-to-be Darth Vader to step in and attack Windu.

3. Anakin was much younger than Obi-Wan, the reason it was such a close fight. Obi-Wan had a much longer time to train his abilities, but he was only barely able to defeat Anakin because Anakin was using the power of the Dark Side.

4. Yoda was incredibly powerful in the force and had 800-900 years to perfect his abilities. I have not seen any other Jedi able to do such a thing. I don't really remember the fight except that Yoda didn't really have much of a chance anyway.

5. This point I don't think can really aply to either group as a whole. The amount of bravery or cowardice is not the same across every member of the Sith/Jedi groups. You have to look at individuals' personalities seperately. I actually think that the Sith are less cowardly as a whole because Sith have nothing to fear; they are the most feared group in Star Wars history.

1. I would agree that basing the argument on the video games is ill-adviced. Even if we ignore the heavy modifications to the rules made by the developers as well as game-balancing issues, it doesn't make for a good argument considering lots and lots of LS players take and frequently use Force Storm despite the DS hit in force points. I know I did, and I'm as LS as can be o:)

2. "Great warrior... Wars not make one great." :(

3. Bad logic IMHO. "You cannot fly. A stone cannot fly. Therefore you are a stone." Besides, DS-fans might just as well point out that Vader/Anakin eventually killed Obi-Wan.

4. "Into exile I must go - failed I have."

5. A Sith would run because he doesn't care about the nation/homeworld or its people. It does not necessarily follow from that that he is therefore weaker. His priorities simply aren't the same, and he sees no reason to stick around to defend a lost cause. A sith would call running in that case prudent. After all, what is gained by staying behind to fight? Yoda did the same btw, when he ran from Sidious instead of staying around to die. Does that make him weak, or does it mean he is prudent because he looks at the greater good in the long run? Not that I disagree that determination is not relevant. It is, but it's not a fair comparison. The common homelander will always win against the trained mercenaries in the long run because they are willing to sacrifice more - they are fighting for their homeland and their families, while the mercenaries are just fighting for money they could probably get with less effort elsewhere once things get tough. Conviction is important. However, that does not mean the Sith have no conviction, it just isn't belief in the common greater good for all as it is for the jedi. Sidious is correct about one thing - if you want to look at things, you have to take a broader perspective of the force than just the dogmatic view of the jedi. Of course, Sidious is completely self-serving when he says it, but that does not make it untrue. When the jedi have failed - as in KotOR II - it is frequenly when they refuse to look beyond their own dogmatic views.

I don't need to quote, just read above. I'm kind of going back and forth between replying to the different people so it might be confusing who I'm talking to, and I'm sorry.

1. Therefore proving the Dark Side is better since even lightsider's often resort to its power. Doing such will probably lead you to the dark side eventually anyway.

2. Do you mean that Jedi can be great without fighting? While this may be true, I am simply pointing out that the Sith are not bound by any morals or laws to prevent them from doing what needs to be done. Take for example the movie, "Saving Private Ryan."

If you remember in the movie they capture that Nazi but let him go, and in the end he comes back to kill half of them.

A Sith would have just slaughtered the guy and saved themselves from later trouble, but the Jedi would be bound to treat him morally and would have let him go. Thus, the Jedi are defeated because they showed mercy and allowed an enemy to live.

3. Exactly, you cannot use one example of a fight between two people to decide which side is stronger. If I remember the fight correctly Anakin actually seemed to be on the winning side except he was too overconfident in himself, a flaw of the character, not the Dark Side. Anakin WAS more powerful though.

4. I watched the movie last night. The whole time the fight was completely one-sided, Yoda did not stand a chance. The reason he didn't have anything to hold on to was because Palpatine was chucking chair things at him and he had to stay on the move. And lightning wasn't exactly useless, he hit Yoda with it once and hurt him badly, and later when Yoda absorbed it, its power still blew him off the senate pad.

5. Jediphile really said all that needs to be said.