ATI:s 4850 cards out

Spider

Since mkreku seems to have slacked off, I guess I might as well post this.

:o

Apparently ATI felt that they needed to start officially selling these cards sooner than they had planned, due to some retailers having jumped the gun.

Anandtech has a preview (that is exactly like a review but without the tech talk):

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338

It beats the 9800 GTX in most tests and the 280 in some. So that's some bang for the buck.

As a response, Nvidia is dropping the price of the 9800GTX to $199 and releaseing a reworked version called 9800GTX+ at $229.

As Anandtech wrote, it's nice to have some real competition in the GFX department again.

(I'm only a bit bummed that all of this happened after I bought a SLI motherboard, so I guess it'll be a 9800GTX for me when the price drop hits, but Nvidia still wins with SLI, so if I get a second one, I suppose I'll feel better)

I shall rub my hands and rejoice that I didn't find the HD3780 Ultimate yet :o

I wonder how "noisy" it is and if it supports liquid cooling if not available in a passive cooling form.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Since mkreku seems to have slacked off, I guess I might as well post this.;)

Sorry, it's summer :o

Anyhow, looks like I'll finally be upgrading my rig again! THANK GOD! Getting quite sick of my X1950XTX.. even though it handles Unreal Engine 3 games in 1920x1080! Never knew that until I tried it a couple of days ago..

Looking forward to the 4870! I have a Crossfire enabled motherboard too..!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wonder how "noisy" it is and if it supports liquid cooling if not available in a passive cooling form.

From Anandtech:

The Radeon HD 4850 is a single slot design, but the card itself gets very hot. At idle the card is mostly silent, but like the GeForce GTX 280 you can hear this thing once the fan spins up. It's definitely not as loud as the GTX 280, but it's not silent under full load.

Another review (sort of):

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14967/1

There they mention that the card runs very hot. Hotter than any other card in their test. So I don't think passive cooling is something to expect from it.

87C on full load is bloody hot! Reminds me of the old days of the AMD thunderbird

Getting quite sick of my X1950XTX.. even though it handles Unreal Engine 3 games in 1920x1080!

Thats not including Mass Effect, is it? That game requires some serious hardware to run properly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well now, there we have it. The rumors were right for once, and ATI's done better on its new midrange than could be expected. I'm looking forward to the "rest of the launch" at 25th for some tech details :o

It does run very hot indeed, it seems, so there's almost certainly no chance for a passively cooled version (@Gorth).

As for Mass Effect: the guys at bit-tech ran it with all options up on a 8800Ultra, an overclocked dual core (how fast?) (what resolution?) and got a constant 30fps+, so that can be expected from the 4850, too.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I was wondering something related; dual GFX in SLi or Crossfire only use the memory from one of the cards, is that also true of dual cards like the 9800gx2?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes. They have to because both chips address their share of the memory.

This could change with the HD4xxx version of dual-chip graphics cards, but probably only one generation later.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

It does run very hot indeed, it seems, so there's almost certainly no chance for a passively cooled version (@Gorth).

There is always plan B... which of course requires that it is possible to mount a liquid cooling thingie on it (or them in the case of a crossfire setup). That would also solve my headache of trying to pick a compromise between heat and performance for a cpu.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein