When are ya'll hiring for QA?

Aurora

So far, whenever we've been looking for a position we put it up in our Jobs section on the web-site. So if you want to know what we're looking for, look there.

-Ferret

is the position "Rabidly fanatic murdering psychopathic cyberjunkie geek-like with occasional nerd tendencies super obsidian entertainment fanboy" taken?

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

ah, i read that you have to be willing to relocate . i wanted to send in a resume thing for QA

We aren't hiring for QA at this time, sorry.

:D Love the avatar. Did you draw it all on your lonesome?

Actually, thats a screenshot from KotOR 2...they're...ummm...still working on that specific area though...you know, working all of the glitches out.

ah, i read that you have to be willing to relocate . i wanted to send in a resume thing for QA

We aren't hiring for QA at this time, sorry.

:D Love the avatar. Did you draw it all on your lonesome?

Actually, thats a screenshot from KotOR 2...they're...ummm...still working on that specific area though...you know, working all of the glitches out.

I keep saying Programmer art rocks!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

well, i've been doing QA for 3 years now. I'll give ya a break down on how it's not "playing games for money"

Currently i'm working on testing abilities. I use dev tools to add all abilities to a character and then use each one, in order, and verify every aspect of them: do they cost the correct amount to use, do they play the correct animation, do they play the correct effect, do they do the correct status effect/damage/healing/etc....ad nauseum. When i finish with that pass then i'll start over again.

On previous projects i would actually spend days running around an empty (enemy-less) world just verifying collision on the navigation mesh.

A couple folks get really lucky and end up working as critical path testers. They actually do get to paid to play games. They are the guys who runs through the game and makes sure that you can go from start to finish without dev tools. Those are the guys who can beat games in like 20 minutes and know every exploit out there. I critical path tested a couple titles, which is alot of fun (although if i ever have to play Deathrow on xbox again i'll die)

QA is alot of fun, it gives you a chance to get your foot in the door in the industry, and you learn alot about the industry while doing it. But have no illusions, it is work, it does have it's days that suck to the eleventy billionth degree, and it usually doesn't pay much.

Getting into it is also a challenge. It generally requires knowing someone or wandering into the right spot at the right time. If you live in the seattle area it's easier, since there are a couple temp agencies with contracts with Microsoft for both PC and Xbox testing and they do have positions for folks with no prior experience. I'm fairly sure that cali has similiar temp agencies and i'd wager taht Austin and Vancouver both have something or will have something like that soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to jump in on this one being a former Californian. California is a overtaxed Liberal sespool with an overated reputation for being the birthplace of stars. I for one hope it falls off into the ocean due to a nuclear explosion in Washington D.C. This would solve 99.9% of America's problems. ** Looks out of window for black helicopters **.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I've thought about seeking a job in quality assurance just because it sounds like fun. ...But I already spend too much time on gaming and I've got a lot of school to finish before the bitter end. I just can't see sending in a resume for it. Plus, I'd just feel silly. I know that it's a serious job, but it just seems like I'm a bit old to be a play tester. I'm woefully underqualified to be a game desiger, so that idea is gone. My forays into C++ were interesting but not particularly fruitful. That is, unless odd little programs that take me forever to finish is considered fruitful.

Good luck to Aurora, though. Probably the best way to go is to send in a resume with a good cover letter. That or they have a job postings page around here somewhere, I'm sure. If you're lucky, they'll have an online application area which saves you the trouble of putting together a resume specifically for the computer game industry. Hell, you'll end up needing to do both probably, just because it's a cruel world in which we live.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

why would you say yer whoefully underqualified to be in design? all it takes it the ability to use tools, a good creative mind, and solid gaming knowledge. The hardest part of becoming a designer is that most designer job opening require previous experience as a designer (good catch-22, you have to be a designer to become a designer). Most of the designers i know got there start in a different area, such as in QA or as an web designer and just slowly try to drift over to the design side

I suggest light mods, small additions and such, if you try a TC then you're just going to fail miserably. Oh and never hire newbies, their arrogant ****, who do nothing.

You could always try messing around with Gamemaker or AGS.

http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm in the running for a spot at LucasArts QA. I had an interview there last Thursday, and if accepted, would probably be working on KotoR2. Hope they get back to me soon. :rolleyes:

Once I get my new computer, I'll be working on NWN modules as much as I can, as I'd be very keen on working with Obsidian. Can't do it on my current laptop as it gets too hot in both the game and editor.