Newbie here, hope I can post this here but I need help

I just recently bought Kotor 2 for PC. My PC meets all "recommended" system requirements, yet the game lags very badly. Here are my system specs.

WinXP

3.3 Ghz

512MB RAM

160GB hard drive space (80+GB of which is free, I have a 80GB upgrade kit but it's not installed).

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Video Card.

DVD+RW 16x Double Layer Multi-format Drive

I already read the troubleshooting documentation and did everything it ercommended. I start the game up, already noticing some lag,

click on new game, then I notice that all the character heads have black eyes (except one female head) and some of them have hair that doesn't load

right. Weird. Ok, I go and create my character then I start the game.

Lag city. I can barely move my character and this often ends up with my character moving in circles. Lag is very, very bad as if I was running this

game on a low end machine. Ok, I go to game options and turn everything to it's lowest setting and if I can, I turn it off. Still lag city. I'm very

confused. My computer should be plenty good enough to run this game and with everything turned on and every graphic feature set on high. But no,

the game does not run smoothly at all. I even eliminated all background programs so they wouldn't run and I have plenty of hard drive space for

saved games, etc. I just bought this game and I don't want to have wasted my money so if anyone can help me get this game running smoothly, that

would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--One very confused Newbie. :/

first update your ATI drivers, you can get them at the website.

if that doesn't work you have to patch it which if you can avoid do so because it cause glitches, if you do get the 1.0b patch make sure after you fight the droids at the north pole on talus make sure you save the game in two spots because sometimes a glitch happens where you will be stuck there and your party won't talk to you, and the only way to fix this is load an earlier game and MAKING SURE NOT TO DROP YOUR WEAPONS IMMEDIATELY TALK TO THEM FOR A LITTLE

you can look at my post its like 4 down from this one called BLACK SCREEN ON TELOS ya thats what happens if you don't save before the academy :)

Edited by DarkJedi Julian

After reading through the online troubleshooting guide I found out my problem. "Game performance is slow and there is missing textures." That meant that my graphics card cannot support the game. I tried updating my ATI graphics card and it didn't help. I'll try the update and see if it helps. I sure hope so. I want to play this game.

Do you know of any Graphics cards available that will work for the game that has a PCI Express Slot? Thanks for replying. :)

Mmmkay. Let me explain a bit better.

I load the game. I see the main menu. I click on New Game. I click on Create Custom Character. Then I click on Portraits (when I can). Most heads have black eyes (as if they don't have eyes at all). Some heads have pieces of their hair black. When I finish with all this, the game comes around and I can begin play. While I'm playing the game, I see no apparent graphics issues (except when my Character's eyes in a cutscene on the Ebon Hawk in the Prologue just before Peragus).

I have turned practically everything off, turned shadows off, turned grass off, I have it on the lowest resolutions, etc.

The game still runs very slowly. My character runs in circles half the time and sometimes won't even move.

So...in short...it's both.

I've tried playing the game anyway and managed to beat the prologue (however, it was very frustrating).

On Peragus, this is where the real trouble began. Half the time my character would run in circles, other times I couldn't get him to budge even an inch and if I was LUCKY, I could get out of the room, activate the console to open the door to the morgue, go into the morgue and take the torch and talk to Kiea, barely able to leave and bash open the door and go into the next room. This is where my character refuses to budge. Of course, I did all this while having to suffer through constant running in circles. My game ended there because my character refuses to budge, can't even check the dead bodies in here at all or click on the door to the left.

My game runs so bad that in order to actually get ANYWHERE, I have to click on an object and my character goes to it, most of the time I can't even move to the object myself because of constantly moving in circles or not even being able to move.

Any help, if you can, would be great. Thanks. :blink: