Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I can still hear you...

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
I gave up trying to get the Thermaltake cooling tower. Went with a Zalman Reserator 2 instead. Fan less of course for maximum silence :*

Now just waiting for already ordered bits and pieces to arrive. I noticed that the ATI4870 has been added to the various online stores product pages, but still nothing in stock. For something that looks like identical cards, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between Sapphire and Gigabyte cards. Anyone know why?

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

For something that looks like identical cards, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between Sapphire and Gigabyte cards. Anyone know why?

Any links? If they really are identical, go for the cheaper one, of course :bat: Sometimes things like guarantee etc. make a difference, sometimes it's faster clocks, different coolers, sometimes it's just the brand.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

For something that looks like identical cards, there seems to be a bit of a price difference between Sapphire and Gigabyte cards. Anyone know why?

I use Sapphire and I'm very happy with them. Gigabyte has a rock solid reputation too with ATI cards, so you can't exactly go wrong here.

Sometimes (not in this case because of GDDR5) the difference is in different brands of RAM modules on the card. Some manufacturers buy cheap RAM that gets very hot and is slower, other companies buy more costly RAM. Sometimes they have different brands of fans. Sometimes they use cheap conductors and stuff. Things like that may vary. Oh, and check what's in the box too. Gigabyte is probably more generous with software bundles and perhaps even cables/adapters.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out what is in the boxes :p

Unfortunately, I am going to be working overseas for a couple of weeks now, so I won't have time to play with my new "toys" :lol:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
Two new suggestions:

4870x2: http://www.electroni...870.x2.in.july/

Water cooled 4870: http://www.electroni...er.cooled.4870/

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
Ok, I am now a proud owner of a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870. Just a warning: it is NOT silent! It's pretty quiet when idle, but when you start up the computer, the GPU fan threatens you with a sound worse than a vacuum cleaner. I've only tried a few games so far and it can handle anything without any slowdowns. Fortunately it doesn't speed up the fan at all, almost, when playing.

Going to try Crysis now.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
OK, played through the first level of Crysis.. I only used 1280x1024 (my monitor likes that resolution) but with everything on max, 4x antialiasing and not a single stutter anywhere! It's pretty powerful! Huge leap forward from my X1950XTX at least. Maybe I should try Crysis with 8x antialiasing? :D

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Well, lets just say, you definitely got me hooked on that watercooled solution you posted a link to previously ;)

If not that one, it should still be possible to mod a card to use watercooling instead of fan, or is that a pipe dream?

So far, my little 50$ card is holding the line (I've only really pushed it a bit with NWN2). It actually supports directx 10.1 and Vista Aero :lol:

What is the difference between the x2 cards and 2 single cards in a CrossfireX setup (besides using a single slot)? The price looks the same for the two solutions.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Actually, it is (was?) the common way to mod a card (plus the rest of the pc) to use watercooling, it's a new phenomenon that you can buy this already equipped.

The X2 card could theoretically be faster* than two separate cards in crossfire while using a little less power**. To know for sure, you'll have to wait for reviews to pop up, as well as drivers helping the 4xxx cards with the power saving features...

*: because the connection between the two chips could run not only via the on-card pci-e 2 interface similar to normal crossfire, but also be supported with an additional so far pretty mysterious "crossfire side port"
**: redundant units on two cards can be eliminated, and different, more efficient, parts could be used because the power draw of two 4870 on one card would be incredibly high and difficult to cool

Edited by samm, 07 July 2008 - 05:34 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts

Putting in an on-line order for a "Creative PCI EXPRESS X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series [22C-XFITFC]" and two "Samsung 500GB 'HD502IJ' HDD - SATA II 7200rpm" to set up in a 1TB RAID 0 (no idea what HDP is, they claim that the HDD is 20% faster).

Slight change of plan, as that particular model HDD was/is out of stock. Decided to go for two 640Gb disks instead.

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Sapphire ATI Radeon 4780X2 with 2Gb Ram. I've seen water cooling blocks that are ready for them, so I'll look around a bit and see if I can find an Australian reseller.

Now I just need to find a suitable monitor, then I am more or less done for now.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Woohoo...

Got my Sapphire 4780x2 plugged in (sort of, see below), plus the additional HDD's

Having fun with the HDD's trying to set them up as a bios raid. It bsods Windows and according to the allmighty google, all I need is to reinstall Windows and use a floppy disk with some special Intel drivers on it :thumbsup:

I think I might look for alternatives, if necessary just as two separate disks at the moment.

Obervations on Sapphire cards: It's friggin heavy :blink:

It looks like a brick, it weighs like a brick (close to a Kilogram) and it alone is as noisy as my old PC (I know, Mkreku had warned me about that) =]

And finally, it's an incredibly poor fit inside the case with more than half a centimeter gap beween the rear panel and the mounting/fitting thing of the card. Poor design or poor craftmansship? :ermm:

I might need to find some pieces of metal tubing and some very long screws to actually attach that brick of a card to the case.

I definitely need water cooling for this one :ermm:

Oh yeah, and then of course, it is very fast. I always did wonder what NWN2 would look like maxed out and still have a good framerate. Now I know :grin:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts
Why do you have to use floppy drives for things like BIOS updates and Raid setups. I mean I know why, it's because some of them don't support NTFS, but really, floppies are hopelessly outdated, can't you get a regular usb stick set up as a floppy.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
We don't need floppy, at least not to update bios. I managed to update mine without a floppy. Modern motherboards have built in support for USB-devices and dvd-drives. Don't know about raid though.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts

We don't need floppy, at least not to update bios. I managed to update mine without a floppy. Modern motherboards have built in support for USB-devices and dvd-drives. Don't know about raid though.

That about sums it up. The Intel raid seems to be the odd one out. I updated my bios too yesterday through the ASUS update tool, running under Vista no less, didn't even need to reboot right away afterwards. Alternatively, the bios can be (re)flashed from a usb stick if you mess it up completely.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Another entry in Gorth's diary.

While the gfx card is nice and I don't really have any games besides NWN2 that challenges it, the noise levels are just unbelievable. A vaccuum (sp?) cleaner running on full power would feel at home there,

Ordered the following beauty from EK Waterblocks in Slovenia.

Hopefully, that will bring some peace and quiet back to my office :(

The darn sound card is still on back order... *grumble*

I suppose my next task is to find a monitor that does justice to the nice capabilities.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Whee... got my soundcard today. Finished installing it in less than 55 minutes. 5 Minutes to plug in the card and the thingy that sits in the 5.25" drive bay, 5 minutes to install software, 10 minutes to update software online... and 30+ minutes trying to attach a stupid cable between the drive bay thing and the card =]

*Sigh*

Now I just need my gpu water block to arrive from Slovenia, then I can finally start to put all the innards back into the case, fasten all the screws, see if everything still fits in there, get all the stuff that made my desk look like a construction yard since mid June cleared away and move the thing down onto the floor, where its new home is, get my printer and other peripherals hooked up again... etc.

Oh, and I need a new monitor. Saw a 30" Samsung that looked very sexy :)

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thinking about this some more, why can't you just soundproof it, rather than reducing emissions? Is cooling the issue? Surely there must be high conductivity materials which would conduct heat? Maybe a lattice of aluminium foils?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Well, the card is unfortunately not designed that way. It has it's own "airduct" which is why it takes up two slots on your backside. One slot used for connectors, one slot is the outlet of air from the fan. I.e. very hard to sound proof. Even as it is, it runs to hot that I am occasionally worried that it might fry my soundcard which is located just above it. Watercooling is usually more efficient in getting the temperature down.

Besides, when the hoses and everything else is there, I might as well hook up the second largest heat generator on the circuit :ermm:

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Flipping this again, how is the heat generated? Resistance in the materials? What are the materials?

(I'm in engineering mood and clutching my TRIZ handbook)

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Ehhh... -_-

Whatever causes heat when eletric circuitry operates. Physics classes are way too many years ago, so whatever converts electrical energy into heat. Current, meet Resistace, Resistance, meet my friend Current? :ermm:

The more operations you force the card to undertake, the more current it draws, the hotter it gets. Gorth's solution? Dip it in water -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users