KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 25

I can't imagine myself playing anything that resembled MMORPGs that have existed before, but the LucasArts-Bioware website, brief as it is, puts such emphasis on Bioware's storytelling pedigree that I find myself wondering. Maybe they do have an idea of how to get good stories and characters into something like an MMORPG. If so...

Nah, probably just marketing spin.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Then you must not play MMO's period. But a lot of people say they "wont" play it. But the truth is you will! You will resist at first, listening to the overwhelming hype and pay for it, for 1 month, hell some might continue playing it just because its a freaking awesome series.

I agree... The only negative MMO game I've played is SWG.. But I HEARD that they might sett the whole FPS thing out and go back to the old times... Either way, me and Bass have one thing in comment, and that is We look forward to the game either way.. =o) Am I right Bass??

"Commentary: How would YOU like to be the wholy-owned servant to an organic meatbag? It's demeaning if.... uh.. you weren't one yourself i mean..." - HK-47

I don't do online gaming any more nor would I pay for it. Too addicting. LA needs to focus on Kotor 3 a Kotor game just like the last two not some MMO.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Say, isn't MMORPG a contradiction in terms? :(

I mean, can you even have role-playing in MMOs? Not that I've ever seen or heard of it :)

Sure they can... WoW has dedicated RPG servers where it's expected that the people playing are in character (and reportable if you don't). Now, you don't get to be the saviour of the galaxy or anything, but you can certainly develop a character, history and play a role.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Say, isn't MMORPG a contradiction in terms? :(

I mean, can you even have role-playing in MMOs? Not that I've ever seen or heard of it :)

Yeah, it isn't a game, therefore there shouldn't be a "G". Or the 'RP" either. In fact, "POS" would do admirably.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Say, isn't MMORPG a contradiction in terms? :shifty:

I mean, can you even have role-playing in MMOs? Not that I've ever seen or heard of it :*

There are entire servers in some games dedicated to Role-playing.

So basically if you make a character on that server you must follow the role-play ruleset meaning you don't go around spamming how good the dark knight was and that you saw it 8 times (guilty)... you have to talk like youa rein the world etc.

Theres lots of role-playing, but if you are not on a role-playing server don't expect it.

At the moment there are no MMORPGs that I am subscribed too. Once my new vid card gets in I will try Age of Conan.

I am however subscribed to an MMOFPS.. the only MASSVIE FPS out there (1000s on one server fighting). For 15 bucks a month I get about 30 hours of entertainment a week.

Star Wars Galaxies Failed utterly however, so I'm skeptical about this one. Well I take that back... Star wars galaxies was AWESOME Pre-CU and Pre-NGE.

Hopefully this new KOTOR MMO doesn't make the same mistake as Sony Online Entertainment did with SWG. SWG Had it SOOO hard to get your lightsaber/become a jedi then in one update the ruined it, few days, thousands of jedi running around iwth lightsabers.

I mean, there aren't even that many Jedi in that time period so it didn't make sense.

Edited by Albion72

You have it all wrong, im not trying to convince anyone. Havent you ever asked why an mmo and not single player? Because a Kotor MMO would make much more money... HOw? Well just like I said, people will get wrapped up in the hype of it buy the game, and purchase a month card. Thats already proffit on their part, so by making this an MMO they obviously are gona market the hell out of it making it sound amazing even if it blows. So dont get me wrong, I prefer single player, but its true just wait and see...

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

...people will get wrapped up in the hype of it buy the game, and purchase a month card.

O RLY? Maybe some people will, but you obviously are ignoring those who have clearly stated that we would NEVER buy a kotor mmo. :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

MMOs...ugh, can't stand those things.

I hate any game(s) that you have to pay to play after you've already payed just to own it.

I'm of the thinking that as soon as you buy a game, it's yours. No 'extra charges'. No 'monthly fees'. Just bought, payed for and owned.

So no, even if Kotor 3 is a MMO, I won't spend a cent on it. No game is worth the money you'll waste on it just for 'monthly fees'.

Edited by jodo kast 5

Edited by SteveThaiBinh to remove off-topic comment.

I play WoW. At $15 a month, that's equivalent to seeing one movie (with refreshments) or maybe one dinner out. I know not everyone can do it and it does seem like a racket that they get to keep squeezing money out of you month after month, but really... compared to the other ways to spend your entertainment budget, MMO's are freaking cheap, especially when you consider how many hours of entertainment you can get out of them. On light weeks, I can log over 10 hours without even thinking about it.

So, basically, if KOTOR 3 is an MMO, I will be trying it. If it's entertaining enough, I will continue spending the money on a month by month basis as long as it is still keeping my attention. If it's not, I won't.

I don't *want* K3 to be an MMO, at all. I don't think it can do justice to the story line and I'd really like to see Obsidian finish up the story they were wanting to tell. But I am looking forward to a (hopefully) good Star Wars MMO.

Wow, an actually sensible post. No wonder it's gone unnoticed and ignored for the most part.

Say, isn't MMORPG a contradiction in terms? :shifty:

I mean, can you even have role-playing in MMOs? Not that I've ever seen or heard of it :*

How extensive is your experience with MMOs?

I hate any game(s) that you have to pay to play after you've already payed just to own it.

I'm of the thinking that as soon as you buy a game, it's yours. No 'extra charges'. No 'monthly fees'. Just bought, payed for and owned.

So no, even if Kotor 3 is a MMO, I won't spend a cent on it. No game is worth the money you'll waste on it just for 'monthly fees'.

And I'm of the thinking that not everything needs to conform to some single person's way of seeing things. It's OK if you don't like MMOs, but understand that some people do and are willing to purchase what that perfectly legitimate service offers. Which means it's just not going to go away.

No, they are not going to give you stuff for free. They need to make a living too, you know.

And I'm of the thinking that not everything needs to conform to some single person's way of seeing things. It's OK if you don't like MMOs, but understand that some people do and are willing to purchase what that perfectly legitimate service offers. Which means it's just not going to go away.

No, they are not going to give you stuff for free. They need to make a living too, you know.

:shifty:

I wasn't even talking to you, nor did I even mention that everyone should conform to my way of thinking. All I did was state my opinion.

Stop putting words in my mouth and actually READ what you're replying to, please?

Edited by jodo kast 5

Then you must not play MMO's period.

Yep. :wub:

But a lot of people say they "wont" play it. But the truth is you will! You will resist at first, listening to the overwhelming hype and pay for it, for 1 month, hell some might continue playing it just because its a freaking awesome series.

Bull****. I will not be playing a pay-per-month MMO anytime soon, nor can you convince me that the Kotor MMO would be worth waisting my money on. :)

Ditto! I do not play MMOs nor will any potential KOTOR MMO change that.

Played Guild Wars and WoW.

Liked the first one but stopped after my friends left to play WoW, which i tried but didn't get in to.

Why am I saying this, because their both MMORPGs but totally different.

The concept is the same but the way they do it is different.

Guild wars has cinematics and a story in it. In WoW i couldn't discover a story nor was there anything to make up for it.

My second point is GW doesn't have a monthly fee and so it shows you can do without it.

Mayby it's not as profitable as with mothly fee but the servers are still up and running.

So If KOTOR3 is a MMO I will wait and see, mayby try it out for a month,

And only after that i will make my opion wheter it's crap or good.

And I'm of the thinking that not everything needs to conform to some single person's way of seeing things. It's OK if you don't like MMOs, but understand that some people do and are willing to purchase what that perfectly legitimate service offers.

Please mention one person here who has said you're not allowed to enjoy MMOs.

Edited by Jediphile

Don't want to argue with anyone, but everyone on these forums except like one other seems to think MMOs are big bad evil people out to steal your money.... Lol. Wasn't there a great Jedi or something who once said, "Open your mind?" You should all try this MMO :excl:. If you don't like it, take it back (Just make sure you buy from a store or site that allows refunds). Of course, KOTOR III will have to be singleplayer otherwise the story element will be lost, but MMOs are MMOs for exactly one reason, being MMO. Its meant to do things and explore the world with other players. I guess thats what some of you don't like. I guess on a KOTOR II forum though the majority playerbase would be more adherent to single player things. No problem here, just saying... saying things like ''NEVER. NO. NO WAY. MMOS ALL SUCK" is just a little one-sided and close-minded to me... especially when a lot of you have never played an MMO past the point where it gets really really interesting. And just for everyone's information... I absolutely despise World of Warcraft? Not because of hte monthly fee, but because of the lack of plot (I mean, MMOs shouldn't make any one player Ruler of the Galaxy or World, but WoW's plot just sucks), and that "You killed something, now get used to killing something a few million other times to get to the MAX level in the game so that you can go raid the same dungeon to get the best gear and then just raid dungeons for fun while you wait for even better (more ridiculously over powered gear) to come out" feel to it.

Do you know what you are paying a monthly fee for?

Patches, game development, new weapons/quests/jobs/force powers. More cities to go explore. More planets/landspeeders/space ships. A good MMO that gets a lot of money has something new coming out every week for players too do. Oh yeah did I mention Expansion packs? If your MMO company aint doing all this when they got a good 100,000-1,000,000 person playerbase, then unsubscribe from them. They suck. :D.

Your 15 bucks a month (or 10 bucks a month for some MMOs) is going to something actually meant to make the game more useful. Its not like KOTOR II where its HERES YOUR BUGGY GAME NOW PLAY! Now maybe you should be saying that you shouldn't eat fast food (assuming there's two of you) because it will be around 10-15 bucks for two people to go, and they are "milking" your money from you every time. Truthfully, fast food is but thats another topic.

I for one will try this KOTOR MMORPG, on an Role-Playing server that is (Less annoying people who spam and talk about stupid stuff).

Edited by Albion72

Yet, you have all this with free MMO's... And you will have it with the next expansion.... But let's not get started on this because it is neverending story :excl: But no, that's not it.

It is as simply as this: if I want to play with someone, i'll get out with my friends. A game is singleplayer (or coop, if you push me), not gathering with some random....

If I paly a game, it is I who has to complete it, not force me to chat with someone else hoping to find someone willing to party to become even possibly to success in next mission.

If they lie to me once, they're to blame. If they lie to me twice, it is me to blame. If they lie to me a third time, I'm stupid enough to be lied a fourth time.

Yet, you have all this with free MMO's... And you will have it with the next expansion.... But let's not get started on this because it is neverending story :) But no, that's not it.

It is as simply as this: if I want to play with someone, i'll get out with my friends. A game is singleplayer (or coop, if you push me), not gathering with some random....

If I paly a game, it is I who has to complete it, not force me to chat with someone else hoping to find someone willing to party to become even possibly to success in next mission.

No one is forcing you to play with unkown people.

If you have friends playing to game too you can play with them and if you really insist you can even play the game yourself(with henchman if needed and avaible).

Don't want to argue with anyone, but everyone on these forums except like one other seems to think MMOs are big bad evil people out to steal your money.... Lol. Wasn't there a great Jedi or something who once said, "Open your mind?" You should all try this MMO . If you don't like it, take it back (Just make sure you buy from a store or site that allows refunds). Of course, KOTOR III will have to be singleplayer otherwise the story element will be lost, but MMOs are MMOs for exactly one reason, being MMO. Its meant to do things and explore the world with other players. I guess thats what some of you don't like. I guess on a KOTOR II forum though the majority playerbase would be more adherent to single player things. No problem here, just saying... saying things like ''NEVER. NO. NO WAY. MMOS ALL SUCK" is just a little one-sided and close-minded to me... especially when a lot of you have never played an MMO past the point where it gets really really interesting. And just for everyone's information... I absolutely despise World of Warcraft? Not because of hte monthly fee, but because of the lack of plot (I mean, MMOs shouldn't make any one player Ruler of the Galaxy or World, but WoW's plot just sucks), and that "You killed something, now get used to killing something a few million other times to get to the MAX level in the game so that you can go raid the same dungeon to get the best gear and then just raid dungeons for fun while you wait for even better (more ridiculously over powered gear) to come out" feel to it.

Patches, game development, new weapons/quests/jobs/force powers. More cities to go explore. More planets/landspeeders/space ships. A good MMO that gets a lot of money has something new coming out every week for players too do. Oh yeah did I mention Expansion packs? If your MMO company aint doing all this when they got a good 100,000-1,000,000 person playerbase, then unsubscribe from them. They suck. :D.

Your 15 bucks a month (or 10 bucks a month for some MMOs) is going to something actually meant to make the game more useful. Its not like KOTOR II where its HERES YOUR BUGGY GAME NOW PLAY! Now maybe you should be saying that you shouldn't eat fast food (assuming there's two of you) because it will be around 10-15 bucks for two people to go, and they are "milking" your money from you every time. Truthfully, fast food is but thats another topic.

I for one will try this KOTOR MMORPG, on an Role-Playing server that is (Less annoying people who spam and talk about stupid stuff).

Amen :excl:

I wasn't even talking to you, nor did I even mention that everyone should conform to my way of thinking. All I did was state my opinion.

Stop putting words in my mouth and actually READ what you're replying to, please?

And I was making a comment on the opinion you posted. I know you have a story of throwing fits when somebody does that, so if you can't deal with it, perhaps it'd be best if you kept your opinions to yourself.

Please mention one comment I have made where I'm actually making the argument that anyone is threatening my enjoyment of MMOs.

Yet, you have all this with free MMO's... And you will have it with the next expansion....
Such as? Guild wars? Some obscure Korean MMO? I'm really interested btw.

You tell that to the CS and Starcraft crowds. I guess they are doing it wrong, too.

There's still plenty of singleplayer games, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with this. Nobody is "forcing" you to anything, unless you fire up a MMO. But in that case, that's the whole point of the game, and complaining about it is like complaining about the lack of submarines in Chessmaster.

The exact same stuff that you might get in a single-player game (id est Neverwinter Nights). As for your other points, well, they are debatable to say the least. :excl:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The exact same stuff that you might get in a single-player game (id est Neverwinter Nights).
I didn't know NWN features an official GM service, online events in official, Bioware-maintained PWs, etc. I guess you just know better.

As for your other points, well, they are debatable to say the least. :excl:
Well, now. Then go right ahead and debate them, instead of dropping these holier-than-thou one-liners.

Please mention one comment I have made where I'm actually making the argument that anyone is threatening my enjoyment of MMOs.

Well, if you post stuff like this...

And I'm of the thinking that not everything needs to conform to some single person's way of seeing things. It's OK if you don't like MMOs, but understand that some people do and are willing to purchase what that perfectly legitimate service offers.

... then you're either inferring it, or else you're stating your own opinion over and at the expense of someone else's, which seems rather impolite to me. Did jodo cast 5 insist that you or anyone else needs to conform to his way of thinking? No, he didn't. He just stated his opinion. But you inferred it and then voiced criticism of that, basically accusing him of something he hadn't done.

Yet, you have all this with free MMO's... And you will have it with the next expansion....
Such as? Guild wars? Some obscure Korean MMO? I'm really interested btw.

Guild Wars is not a free MMO, it just doesn't have a monthly fee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_MMOGs

The anti-MMO comments here remind me of
Just replace "bonbons" with Kotor 3.

So not enjoying MMOs and saying so equals being childish? That's pretty offensive.

"People who don't like MMOs are childish, and I can't help it if you don't like MMOs".

Yup, classic definition of trolling right there.

Whoa. He shoots and misses.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.