KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 25

True, Mandalorian Wars is the only fickle hope for those wanting K3

If it doesn't take place in Mandalorian Wars... well, that's it

And what are these oh so precious "questions" you need K3 for?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The questions that weren't anwserd by KOTOR2 or made by KOTOR2.

You know like who are the true sith were did Revan go etc.

And if this is a KOTOR MMO you should play as a jedi because the KNIGHTS in the title.

All of those are perfectly answerable (in fact even in more easier and straight forward manner) in MMO

edit: In fact True Sith rampage is perfect milieu for MMO

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

But anwsering those questions in an MMO are different than an rpg.

But how different depents on what kind of MMO they will bring out.

Like I said before a WoW like game isn't going to work with all those messages.

But if they make cut-scenes in it it might work.

But still i would prefer an rpg because the actions you have with the npc's are much deeper.

You can't have a great dialouge in an MMO because this is to difficult to make in an MMO.

And since of of the good things of the KOTOR games was interaction with the npc's I can't see them do it in a MMO.

Guest The Architect

This is just ****ed. Lets face it, what are the chances of the EA chief executive misidentifying what this LA/BioWare MMORPG is?

A company could say that they're not doing this and that, but that's just the same as someone who's gay telling you they're not gay, even though they could be, whether as you'd be hard pressed to find someone who tells people that they're gay even though they're actually not. You get the point of the example, right? :(

I hope this is just a part of my bandwagon theory, though, that this MMORPG plus Team Gizka will spark renewed interest in the Knights of the Old Republic franchise, resulting in LA pulling their heads out of their ****in asses and finally giving OE the ****in chance to make a game they've been wanting to make for years ~ KotOR3.

Yeah, MMOs suck at storytelling and have zero roleplaying

But face it, it's not like such things matter when cash is considered.

True Sith conflict would work better than Mandalorian Wars (too) on the basis both sides can have force users just fine

Yeah, MMOs suck at storytelling and have zero roleplaying

But face it, it's not like such things matter when cash is considered.

True Sith conflict would work better than Mandalorian Wars (too) on the basis both sides can have force users just fine

If you put it like that with more force-users I have a better idea.

You start as a jedi during the mandolorian wars you can choose wheter you can stay with the jedi and wait or hoin revan in the war. This is the point were you choose a faction. Then after lets say lvl 10 you move on to the jedi civil war and now there's aslo a lot of room for PvP.

That wouldn't be only Mandy Wars then however

Besides people know how **** turns out in JCW - they want new stuff, new stories, new enemies etc.

All which TS provide. Developers are also a lot more free to improvise and make **** up

Guest The Architect

DAMN IT Xard, like I already needed my slim hopes that a True Sith based KotOR3 CRPG will be made to be quashed more than it already is. :(

Edited by The Architect

they didn't provide link when I found the article :(

There's a lot quotes that weren't seen in other sources

Did anyone check the bioware site?

under games in development there's an MMO but also the LA/bioware thing.

Why would they place bith in there if they would be the same that wouldn't be very smart to show your fans who are now expecting two games.

The odd thing is that the sites of neither Lucasarts nor Bioware says anything about this.

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/release/

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/news/

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

That and the fact that this story originates from a single source with the EA CEO speaking to one reporter makes me very suspicious. Surely LA would have said something by now, which suggests Riccitiello's comments were not coordinated with LA. I suspect there is a lot of EA/LA correspondence going on right now and possibly the PR divisions working overtime.

I think they're having huge family quarrel, LA wanting to keep the whole thing secret while EA wanted to create some prebuzz for the title

While they both agree on murdering KoTOR.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Why would they place bith in there if they would be the same that wouldn't be very smart to show your fans who are now expecting two games.

yeah but check this link too: http://news.filefront.com/e3-2008-ea-confi...d-republic-mmo/

the last sentenses: As excited for this game as I am

Kind of strange saying it to one guy.

I mean if they want to great a hype they would say it to multipule people, much more reliable and more convinving than saying it to one guy.

On the other hand if LA is really pissed about it they can say that they didn't mean it like that and that the single reporter got it wrong. But the 'yes' is hard to misinturpert :p

So I don't know I want to believe it but KOTOR3 is still coming but im just not sure

EDIT: Now i just think of it this would not only be bad for the hyping around TFU but also for Bioware with Dragonage.

On the E3 Bioware was hyping Dargonage very much. Big sell for Bioware means big sell for EA.

So why would Ea want to distract attention from Dragonage which is a long awaited game from Bioware for some people to a KOTOR-MMO. Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until Dragonage was selling and they made some money on it?

Edited by Wolva

I dont think an unveilng of a new model caravan cuts into the sales profit of a sporting car. Cant see how a MMO project most likely slated for an arrival a couple of years down the line would hurt the sales of SP games allmost here... It aint direct competition genre wise and I seriosly doubt some1 is gonna put off buying TFU in the light of this news...

I can envision it being kept hush hush on account of other MMOs in existance/development by these companies thoe :p

Edited by Brdavs

Kind of strange saying it to one guy.

I mean if they want to great a hype they would say it to multipule people, much more reliable and more convinving than saying it to one guy.

On the other hand if LA is really pissed about it they can say that they didn't mean it like that and that the single reporter got it wrong. But the 'yes' is hard to misinturpert :x

So I don't know I want to believe it but KOTOR3 is still coming but im just not sure

EDIT: Now i just think of it this would not only be bad for the hyping around TFU but also for Bioware with Dragonage.

On the E3 Bioware was hyping Dargonage very much. Big sell for Bioware means big sell for EA.

So why would Ea want to distract attention from Dragonage which is a long awaited game from Bioware for some people to a KOTOR-MMO. Wouldn't it be smarter to wait until Dragonage was selling and they made some money on it?

Agreed.

And thinking about it, this would then be the second time this year Riccitiello has really mucked things up for LA/Bioware regarding KotOR, since it was his powerpoint presentation that caused all the fuss in febuary as well. http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox/star-wars-k...404134825236032

How often does the CEO get to do that before (1) Lucasarts tears up the contract (for the reasons you describe above) or (2) EA kicks outthe CEO for mucking things up again?

What i meant was that LA doesn't want people to think about an KOTOR game now tey're about to release TFU.

because if this comes in the media as confirmed everybody is going to talk about it and that would differt attention from TFU.

And with less attention there will be less salles, thus less profit for LA.

Same for Bioware with Dragonage, although it isn't coming out as soon as TFU.

And don't forget most people who play MMORPG also like RPGs because most people started with them, and vice versa.

And I think a lot of Star wars fans are keeping their eyes out for KOTOR, at least the fans who game :x

And doesn't EA have better things to do than hyping KOTOR right now like making Spore a succes, although they won't need to put a lot of effort in it. And why in a one-on-one conversation while they had a big pressconfrence just before that.

If they want to hype it than make it a big announcement and steal the show on E3.

yeah but check this link too: http://news.filefront.com/e3-2008-ea-confi...d-republic-mmo/

the last sentenses: As excited for this game as I am

yeah I am hoping that Lucasarts/bioware/Obsidian are having a surprise for us by announcing 2 games:the KOTOR MMO and KOTOR 3

Unlikely. In fact, unlikely to the point of "just not gonna happen."

Reason: Oversaturation.

Besides, Lucasarts has held the position for several years that they will only release so many Star Wars games per year for that very reason. KotOR represents only a distinct segment within the franchise.

That being the case, how great are the chances that they will then release two games within the same segment of the franchise and thereby postponing games for the rest of the franchise - games that would target the same partial fanbase? Answer: Astronomically low.

Of course Lucasarts want to break into the MMO market and rake in the cash. Looking at WoW, most publishers see $$. Why would Luca$art$ be an exception? And if they decide to base this on KotOR, then what are the chances that they'll try to force the sizeable KotOR fanbase onto that MMO on the logic of "well, what else are you going to play if you like KotOR?" The odds of that way of thinking are pretty good. Or at least so they think. I may want single-player KotOR3 and be vocal in my support of it, but if Lucasarts is indeed in collaboration on a KotOR MMO, they've already decided that in spite of my protests, I'll probably play KotOR MMO over a non-KotOR game. If they release KotOR3 at the same time, then they'll allow me an out to give KotOR MMO a miss, effectively releasing to games competing for the same Star Wars gamer demographic. They simply won't do that.

They're wrong, though. I won't be paying a monthly fee, and since that is the major incentive for Luca$art$ pursuing a KotOR MMO, it means I will be a lost customer. I have yet to be enticed by an MMO. There are even free MMOs out there, but I still don't play them. They just don't appeal to me. Of course, losing me as a customer is probably not a big deal. The problem only arises if a sizeable portion of the KotOR fanbase feel the same way I do.

Now, I'm still not entirely convinced of an upcoming KotOR MMO. This story is based on the EA CEO, not representatives of Bioware or Lucasarts, speaking to ONE reporter without confirmation from Bioware or Lucasarts (yes, I know EA own Bioware, but they are not the same - EA is a corporation which recently bought Bioware as a somewhat independent developing division under the parent company). So I think retraction is still a possibility. I'll admit, though, that with time passing without comment from Lucasarts, they are essentially confirming the rumors through their silence. It would be very easy to put a press release saying that rumors of a KotOR MMO are not true. However, that has not happened.

It's sad, though, because either way, if reports of a KotOR MMO are indeed true, then single-player KotOR3 is quite dead, I fear. Gone and buried. It's dead, Jim. Because if there is a KotOR MMO, then it will play out one of two ways. If the game succeeds, LA will declare the move to MMO successful and build on it, never returning KotOR to its single-player milieu. But if the game tanks, it still won't revive single-player KotOR3, because LA will then decide that interest in the era has waned, as the fanbase did not support the game, and so discontinue further games in KotOR-segment of the franchise. The worst part is that the current fanbase of the games may not have a voice. They can embrance or hate the MMO, but even if they turn against it, they could do so only to see a new MMO-loving fanbase embrace it and giving it success, in which case LA will still declare the success as per scenario number one above, not caring who the fanbase is as long as they can rake in the MMOney. Either way, a KotOR MMO seems to be a deathblow to KotOR games the way I like to play them. If LA confirms a KotOR MMO, it'll be a dark day indeed :blush:

They're wrong, though. I won't be paying a monthly fee, and since that is the major incentive for Luca$art$ pursuing a KotOR MMO, it means I will be a lost customer. I have yet to be enticed by an MMO. There are even free MMOs out there, but I still don't play them. They just don't appeal to me. Of course, losing me as a customer is probably not a big deal. The problem only arises if a sizeable portion of the KotOR fanbase feel the same way I do.

I certainly agree with you, for one.

It's sad, though, because either way, if reports of a KotOR MMO are indeed true, then single-player KotOR3 is quite dead, I fear. Gone and buried. It's dead, Jim. Because if there is a KotOR MMO, then it will play out one of two ways. If the game succeeds, LA will declare the move to MMO successful and build on it, never returning KotOR to its single-player milieu. But if the game tanks, it still won't revive single-player KotOR3, because LA will then decide that interest in the era has waned, as the fanbase did not support the game, and so discontinue further games in KotOR-segment of the franchise. The worst part is that the current fanbase of the games may not have a voice. They can embrance or hate the MMO, but even if they turn against it, they could do so only to see a new MMO-loving fanbase embrace it and giving it success, in which case LA will still declare the success as per scenario number one above, not caring who the fanbase is as long as they can rake in the MMOney. Either way, a KotOR MMO seems to be a deathblow to KotOR games the way I like to play them. If LA confirms a KotOR MMO, it'll be a dark day indeed :(

Yup, pretty much. Let's just hope the EA dude is on LSD and hallucinating :).

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I certainly agree with you, for one.

It's sad, though, because either way, if reports of a KotOR MMO are indeed true, then single-player KotOR3 is quite dead, I fear. Gone and buried. It's dead, Jim. Because if there is a KotOR MMO, then it will play out one of two ways. If the game succeeds, LA will declare the move to MMO successful and build on it, never returning KotOR to its single-player milieu. But if the game tanks, it still won't revive single-player KotOR3, because LA will then decide that interest in the era has waned, as the fanbase did not support the game, and so discontinue further games in KotOR-segment of the franchise. The worst part is that the current fanbase of the games may not have a voice. They can embrance or hate the MMO, but even if they turn against it, they could do so only to see a new MMO-loving fanbase embrace it and giving it success, in which case LA will still declare the success as per scenario number one above, not caring who the fanbase is as long as they can rake in the MMOney. Either way, a KotOR MMO seems to be a deathblow to KotOR games the way I like to play them. If LA confirms a KotOR MMO, it'll be a dark day indeed :(

Yup, pretty much. Let's just hope the EA dude is on LSD and hallucinating :lol:.

The CEO of EA high :biggrin: would explain all those crapy games they brought out last years :bat:

But still no new :lol:

There is another possibility for the this rumored MMO, though. We know that LA registered the "Old Republic" recently. Maybe this is an MMO developed to take place in a period of Star Wars that has so far gone unexplored.

I mean, we know lots about the Great Hyperspace War around 5000 BBY or the Great Sith War and the KotOR games around 4000 BBY, Darth Bane around 1000 BBY or the movies era, etc.

But there are other times that are virtually explored. What happened around 2500 BBY, for example? No idea. That is definitely "Old Republic" even though it's not what most of us would call KotOR. It might be all the same to Riccitiello, though, which could explain why he can say there such an online game, while LA says it has nothing to do with KotOR.

And another thing, people would want to play jedi in such a game, and frankly post-TSL would be terrible for this. Why? Because the purge of the Sith Triumpherate virtually wiped out the jedi order in TSL to such an extent that the Sith thought the exile was the only one left. You'd want an era for an MMO where there could be loads of jedi, and in the years after TSL, there would indeed be few.

Besides, Bioware seems to like the idea of doing original IP. A Star Wars MMO would not be that, but they could establish an entirely new segment inside the franchise with their own jedi order and sith lords as they see fit by placing the action at another time.