Movies you have seen lately

Gorth

I meant realistic in the sense of a tragedy where a person was so close to rescue but didn't make it. I know it wasn't quite the same but it basically had the exact same vibe as many tragic events I've read of.

I agree it was lame. :ermm: At that point in the movie I didn't care all that much if they made it or not so atleast I got a chuckle out of it.

I'm not a big Stephen King fan, I've only seen the Jack Nicholson movie of "The Shinning", the mini-series of "The Fort" and the "In the Mouth of Madness" movie for the sake of John Carpenter and David Warner.

Stephen King has nothing to do with In the Mouth of Madness....Carpenter paid tribute to him via the Sutter Cane character (King & Carpenter are supposedly friends), but that's the only connection.

I've never even heard of a King mini-series called "The Fort." Was it based on one of his books or was it some "King original-for-TV?"

And don't get me started on The Mist...I have read the story (it's really more of a short novella rather than a true novel, imo), and while it wasn't anywhere near King's best, it was a lot better than the movie. I loathed the changed ending. Most movies based on King's books are terrible.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The ending was left very ambiguous - no big conclusion, but w/a very slight sense of (yet unlikely) hope. He doesn't shoot anyone, no army to the rescue.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, it is novella, not novel

And I have nothing to nitpick on your post SirPetrakus :ermm:

How did the book end anyway?

at the same time in more happier and more dreadier fashion

it ends with the people in the car going on and on in the mist, fuel eventually running out. They mention in dready fashion seeing towering gigantic "legs" or whatever amidst the neverending mist. They keep the radio on in hopes of catching some signs of human life, but it is all just white noise. HOWEVER the nearly final sentence mentions, that just for a moment it was like they'd reached radio transmittion. But at the same time as it lasted so short moment they can't be SURE if it was just their imagination or are they indeed starting to reach "borders" of the mist.

Now the implications of this are

two different: IF they indeed managed to catch real transmission it implies that mankind has survived and are propably fighting heavily back against this Mist. This version is reinforced by movie ending where military is slowly pushing the nasty creeps back as well as the nature of such "mists" imlied in Dark Tower IV. You could also read it as mark that the survivors are coming near to the edge of the nightmare and might even survive out of it into broad daylight.

HOWEVER that may not be the case. Mist could've already spread and covered the whole planet, dooming mankind. Or that even though mankind still survives the Mist has spread to so big area our heroes have no chance of surviving out of there.

The movie on the other hand

is less ambiguous. In grand picture it is more hopeful because it reinforces the interprepation mankind are going to push "Mist" back. However it is really dark for the main characters

I personally prefer Movie ending

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I might have minded the movie-ending slightly less if it hadn't had one of those "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" type moments.

With 'what if" stories like The Mist, I like ambiguous endings that leave the reader/viewer with something to muse on.

Last night, in an attempt to rescue my sister from her overwhelming life as a housewife with sick kids, I took her to see Mamma Mia and The Mummy.

Mamma Mia was *fabulous*. Ok, well, not a great movie, but so much fun to watch anyway and Pierce Brosnan is *hawt*. Of course, the whole thing was made much more entertaining by the pint of rum we smuggled into the theater and added to our drinks... :D

The Mummy was very entertaining. It was lot of fun and really flowed well. I have to agree that I really missed the real Evie, but this one did a nice job of it, I thought.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I saw Manic yesterday, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun), who looks like he could be Heath Ledger clone. It was a rather good film I thought.

I will continue watching some movies with this guy, in order to judge if he would be a worthy candidate to replace Ledger as the Joker in future Batman installments, should Nolan decide to use the character again.

I saw Manic yesterday, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun), who looks like he could be Heath Ledger clone. It was a rather good film I thought.

I really like that kid, he's done some great stuff. He's much scrawnier than Ledger though.

I watched "Reign Over Me". It was pretty emotional. I was very surprised at how many comedic performers managed very serious scenes.