Movies you have seen lately

Gorth

Doesn't Batman have some sort of antihero other than the Joker? As in, a nega-batman?

For a while there was Jason Todd. 2nd Robin, was thought killed by the Joker, came back for revenge, beat Joker nearly to death with a crowbar, took Joker's old identity as Red Hood in order to take control of the gangs and such so he can limit their activites. Harm reduction. He's willing to kill though, and does so often. Now he's Red Robin.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw 'The Dark Knight', too. I thought it was a hellova movie. :dancing: The Joker thing was a bit of a hanging plot line, though. I've heard Ledger finished filming, so I'm guessing the plan was to bring him back for the next film?

Also, Maggie Gyllenhaal SOUNDS a lot like Katie Holmes, but DANG. I didn't know why I found her so UGLY. Until I realized, she looks JUST like her brother. And Jake is HOT. But as a woman? :ermm:

legoK2.jpg

Check out my KOTOR fan vids on YouTube. And no, they're not of legos.

*Checks watch*

It has been fifteen minutes since I told someone to watch Land of the Blind Watch it, you bastards!

*considers audience*

It has nekkid ladies in it, but you can claim it's political.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Personally, I'm sold on "The Dark Knight". I think it's the best film of 2008, and I say that knowing full well we're only half way through. But really, I see nothing on the horizon to challenge The Dark Knight for the title. I love the X-Files too, but I have to admit that I see no way for Mulder and Scully to top Batman this year. None. That goes for everything else out there too. "The Dark Knight" is not merely a Batman classic or even a superhero-movie classic - it's simply a movie classic.

Edited by Jediphile

So I guess I'm the only one who thinks the Dark Knight is highly overrated?

It was fun to watch, and Ledger's performance was great, but thinking back on the film I have so many criticisms. And I really, really didn't like the ending.

I'd probably give The Dark Knight an 8 of 10 on a good day, but my current IMDB ranking has it at 6 because I was that depressed after seeing it.

I have never understood the appeal of dark and dreary story lines. *shrug*

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

It was fun to watch, and Ledger's performance was great, but thinking back on the film I have so many criticisms. And I really, really didn't like the ending.

I'd probably give The Dark Knight an 8 of 10 on a good day, but my current IMDB ranking has it at 6 because I was that depressed after seeing it.

Then for God's sake, don't watch Leaving Las Vegas

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Done!

It should be noted that I loved Batman Begins. That was truly a great flick. So it's not so much the dark part I don't like as the dreary and depressing ending. And I think I might have even been ok with the depressing ending if it had been a little more coherent and made a little more sense. Once we got past the Joker's initial arrest, I got the impression that Nolan used Ledger's death as an excuse to not edit the movie. I don't care how good of a director you are, stories should always be cut down a bit to make things flow better.

Just saw The Dark Knight as well. It was freaking awesome. The acting was generally great, especially the brilliance from Ledger, Gyllenhaal was much better than Holmes, the plot was pretty tight despite it being a long-ass movie, the camera work was at times pure, liquid awesomeness and I was really absorbed by the movie from start to finish.

I wish Dawes and Dent didn't have to die

, and Ledger's death really puts a damper on the next Batman movie. :down:

Best super hero movie ever, easily.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It should be noted that I loved Batman Begins. That was truly a great flick. So it's not so much the dark part I don't like as the dreary and depressing ending. And I think I might have even been ok with the depressing ending if it had been a little more coherent and made a little more sense. Once we got past the Joker's initial arrest, I got the impression that Nolan used Ledger's death as an excuse to not edit the movie. I don't care how good of a director you are, stories should always be cut down a bit to make things flow better.

I suppose you'd also want Michelangelo to reduce the Sistine Chapel a little so that it "flows better"? Or maybe Jackson should have cut "Return of the King" down to less than two hours for the same reason?

It's the fact that Nolan dares to take a Batman movie to a new level and end it on a "dreary and depressing ending" that makes "The Dark Knight" a movie classic and not merely an above average superhero flick. It's not a superhero flick at all. Superheroes always defeat the bad guy in the end. That doesn't happen here. "The Joker won," as Gordon puts it. THAT's the reason this movie has a complex plot that justifies the movie's length. To say that the ending should have been more coherent and make more sense is just untrue - watch the film again and you'll note that it IS coherent and DOES make sense!

This is a serious movie about real issues disguised as a superhero movie. If you don't like complex and serious movies like that, then fair enough, but at least say that's the reason. Your comment reads to me like one of those "this doesn't follow the rules of of comic superhero movies"-types of comments. My apologies if that is not your intent, but I'm frankly so sick of people saying crap like that. If Nolan can deliver a movie of this sort of quality, then such "rules" and "perceptions" should not apply to him as an artist, but sadly there still people - and note that I'm not saying you're one of them - who insist comic book superheroes (whatever that is) should follow a strict certain formula, which is just so untrue, especially for Batman. Anyone who ever read Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Batman: Year One" or Moore's "The Killilng Joke" (which has inspired the Joker in this movie) will know, that Batman is precisely the one "superhero" that you cannot make that assumption about. This is not a superhero movie and should not be holden to the "standards" that are said to apply for such movies.

Edited by Jediphile

Or Titanic...

or Seven...

or Alien 3...

or Dances With Wolves...

or Blade Runner...

or Ran (by Akira Kurosawa)

or The Seven Samurai

or 21 Grams

or Hamlet

or Reservoir Dogs

or The Usual Suspects

or Citizen Kane

or Braveheart

or Ghandi

or Taxi Driver

or Brazil

or Wag the Dog

or Fight Club

or Saving Private Ryan

or a plethory of some of the best films ever made.

In fact, stop watching good movies altogehter - the danger of depression is far, far too great.

how is fight club and the usual suspects depressing?

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I wouldn't watch Mamma Mia either.

The cast's integrity dies at the end.

I lol'd except I think it's more like in the casting process.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I don't see what's depressing about Titanic. Sprout Face dies.

-Elwood Blues

I don't see what's depressing about Titanic. Sprout Face dies.

:lol:

Actually you're right, but somehow I don't think that was the intention. Hence I included it :)

I just love the way everyone knows who Sprout Face is.

-Elwood Blues

I suppose you'd also want Michelangelo to reduce the Sistine Chapel a little so that it "flows better"? Or maybe Jackson should have cut "Return of the King" down to less than two hours for the same reason?

It's the fact that Nolan dares to take a Batman movie to a new level and end it on a "dreary and depressing ending" that makes "The Dark Knight" a movie classic and not merely an above average superhero flick. It's not a superhero flick at all. Superheroes always defeat the bad guy in the end. That doesn't happen here. "The Joker won," as Gordon puts it. THAT's the reason this movie has a complex plot that justifies the movie's length. To say that the ending should have been more coherent and make more sense is just untrue - watch the film again and you'll note that it IS coherent and DOES make sense!

This is a serious movie about real issues disguised as a superhero movie. If you don't like complex and serious movies like that, then fair enough, but at least say that's the reason. Your comment reads to me like one of those "this doesn't follow the rules of of comic superhero movies"-types of comments. My apologies if that is not your intent, but I'm frankly so sick of people saying crap like that. If Nolan can deliver a movie of this sort of quality, then such "rules" and "perceptions" should not apply to him as an artist, but sadly there still people - and note that I'm not saying you're one of them - who insist comic book superheroes (whatever that is) should follow a strict certain formula, which is just so untrue, especially for Batman. Anyone who ever read Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Batman: Year One" or Moore's "The Killilng Joke" (which has inspired the Joker in this movie) will know, that Batman is precisely the one "superhero" that you cannot make that assumption about. This is not a superhero movie and should not be holden to the "standards" that are said to apply for such movies.

I understand what Nolan was trying to do, and I think he acccomplished it very well. Yes, the film is coherent and makes sense in the way you mean. I got it. It's just that the last third of the movie is so... all over the place. Anyhow, I do plan on seeing it again sometime, and I'll probably enjoy it more the second time... though my fiance who loved it did go see it again and said it was much less effective the second time around.

Anyhow, to the movie list you put up... (I didn't list the movies I haven't seen)...

Or Titanic... not a huge fan of this movie, but that has more to do with having lost my son in the year before and being completely freaked out by all the bodies in the water. I actually thought the ending was pretty cool, though.

or Seven... BLECH!

or Alien 3... Saw it and I think I liked it... *shrug*

or Dances With Wolves... Great movie. While it was depressing in some ways, I liked the way it ended.

or Blade Runner... I didn't get this movie. I might like to see it again sometime, but the first time I just thought it was weird.

or Hamlet - ok, now you're just being silly

or The Usual Suspects - Damn, I love this movie

or Citizen Kane - Very interesting movie. I watched it during a film class when I was pregnant, though and I'm not sure I was awake the whole time. I probably need to see it again... lol

or Braveheart - I enjoyed this one too... not sure why I didn't find it so depressing, actually.

or Wag the Dog - enjoyed it

or Fight Club - great movie

or Saving Private Ryan - how is this depressing? It's all about the sacrifice of the many for the one, in juxtaposition with Schindler's List which is the sacrifice of one for many... While I wouldn't watch Schindler's List just because, I do know it's a great film.

I think the difference between most of these and TDK is that I like the way most of these ended. TDK, not so much.

A woman after my own heart. Fight club is my favorite.

<3

Edited by theslug

The only part about the ending that I didn't really like is that

Two-Face dies, it would have been much more interesting to see him come back in the third film with a serious grudge.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.